• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

shock collars for dogs?

Started by cathryn, January 04, 2009, 11:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathryn

have any of you ever used them and how successfuk are they when trainig a dog? Jack has decided he wnts to be a jughead and not comeback when hes called for some reson as of late and i need to figure out how to get him to come back because i dont want him to get either lost or hit by a car. hes just started this lately.

discipline when i cath him after hes took off hasnt helped the issue much if any.

i dont want to keep him from hunting but i want him to comebc when i call him. i definitely dot want him running deer and as far as he went today, i think thats what he was after.

FinsnFur

We had a couple we used on coon dogs etc.
They work good once the dog realizes why he's getting the juice, and yeah then they'll learn and quit.
The problem we had was the dogs got too smart and acted up when they had the collar off and knew what could happen when they had it on. :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

cathryn

thatd be just my luck. hes real smart.

FinsnFur

Were we talking about Jerry? :confused:

I"M KIDDING! :roflmao:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

cathryn

Hell, a shock collar wouldnt keep him in line, lol.  :biggrin:

LORDDAL

a friend of mine used one to stop his med. size mutt from chasein chickens he used a varriable volt collar he got from a bear hunting buddy . he started out on the lowest setting and old chester never even flinched so he upped it a level and still nothing set it to max and waited for chester to start runnin the hens again. we were sitting on the deck when Ches decided he had had all he could take of those darn chickens pickin around in his yard again and off he went. Bud picked up the contorl and punched it and poor ole chester yiped and fell over shakin layed there for a second or two then got up shakin look at the chickens and barreled for the deck. to this day Chester has yet to try runnin the chickens again I think he believes it was the chicken he was about to grab that did it to him. so just remember if you use one that has several different settings dont use to charge for the size of the dog
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

nailbender

I have one that I use for my GSP.  He gets pretty hard-headed once in awhile wanting to range too far especially when hunting with other dogs and hunters. Competition thing I guess.  They work well if used properly.
  Mine has a beeper that will indicate range or point in the thick stuff. Anymore all I have to do is turn the beeper on to get him to mind, usually. Had to keep it on him last fall just to let him out in the yard because the neighbors dog was in heat. The minute you took your eyes off him he was gone!  Turn on the beeper and give him allitle bump and here he'd come hightailing back down the fenceline. Probably thinking, Damn! Almost made it! :laf:
As said before,   You have to use them proprerly or you can ruin a dog. And they know when they are wearing the collar. There are dummy collars you can put on when not in use to fool them, never tried that myself.
  Pet fencing on a farm is not practical, so training is a better option.  Walk the dog around the perimeter every day for awhile letting them establish their territory. And tie them up if they go outside of it. He'll figure out he likes being loose in a small area better than being staked. Takes a little tima and patience but more effective and affordable.     Good luck,Dave

possumal

I have several friends who have been successful using shock collars. In fact, my grandson, Josh, uses them on his labs. Mike Granger uses one of "Bubba", his great cur decoy dog.  They all say that using the collar correctly is a great help.  You have to be sure what you are zapping the dog for though.  If you think he is running a deer, when in reality he is not, it would be counter productive to zap him.  In the case of beagles, if you think he/she is backtracking, when in reality the dog is excellent at working out a double back, you would mess the dog up by zapping him.  In the case of your hubby, ?????   :nono: :nono:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

vvarmitr

I'd hate to be w/o one now that I have 'em.

msmith

I've had two, both Tri Tronics. I have never used anything but max setting. They WILL break a dog off deer. I have broke both coon hounds and beagles. The last thing was on our golden retriever. He would bark at just about anything at night. Everynight, several times a night, he would be barking. HOWEVER; I had to get up every time to make sure what he was or was not barking at. We did want him to bark when people showed up, but not at cats and leaves blowing in the wind, etc.. He does OK now. Since we have one, I would hate to be without.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori