• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Cracked Choke

Started by nastygunz, January 28, 2009, 10:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

in my mossberg 835.........when I first got it I never saw the microscopic lettering on the factory choke so I shot steel through it and when I was cleaning it one night found this:

FinsnFur

And now I wont shoot steel through it no mo :nono:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

I use it for a pencil holder on my desk now :wink:

Silencer

Interesting, was that extra full ? 

Silencer

ttp for gunz, well ?  lol 

nastygunz

Its the stock ultra full turkey choke that comes with the mossberg 835.

Todd Rahm

Yeah the lettering is sometimes  hard to read especially with that choke grease all over it.

nastygunz

I raised hell with mossberg about the lettering on the choke being so small n they sent me a replacement :yoyo:

Bopeye

I don't ever shoot steel through mine anyway, but just for giggles I checked out my choke. It says "Lead Only" on mine, but then again I can read more than just Playboy Mr. Nastygunz.  :roflmao:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Silencer

I shoot tons of steel but only a few extra full chokes are actually made for it.  I had a gut feeling that was an extra/ultra full stock choke. 

QuoteI raised hell with mossberg about the lettering on the choke being so small n they sent me a replacement

Thats pretty good customer service, they could have recomended bi-focals  :laf:

Rich

That crack appears to be in the threaded area of the choke tube, and this would  seem to mean that the choke tube failed before the shot even entered the consricted area of said tube. Seems mighty strange to me.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

nastygunz

i BELIEVE THE 2009 CABELAS SPRING TURKEY CATALOGUE HAS A MOSSBERG 835 ON THE COVER  :yoyo:

alscalls

Quote from: Bopeye on February 03, 2009, 10:13:14 PM
I don't ever shoot steel through mine anyway, but just for giggles I checked out my choke. It says "Lead Only" on mine, but then again I can read more than just Playboy Mr. Nastygunz.  :roflmao:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
+1
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

nastygunz

Im a Hustler man, I like the cartoons  :yoyo:

Quote from: Bopeye on February 03, 2009, 10:13:14 PM

KySongDog

Quote from: Rich on February 07, 2009, 07:49:21 AM
That crack appears to be in the threaded area of the choke tube, and this would  seem to mean that the choke tube failed before the shot even entered the consricted area of said tube. Seems mighty strange to me.

I agree. Seems rather strange.   :confused:

alscalls

Wouldn't the gas pressure be behind the wad?
AL

KySongDog

Quote from: alscalls on February 11, 2009, 09:32:16 PM

I guess I don't understand your point, Al.   The steel shot is what causes the damage, not the gas pressure.  Steel shot does not "give" or deform when it travels the length of the tube which causes stress on the constricted portion of the tube.   I'm no expert on this stuff so that is just my theory about it.   :shrug:

vvarmitr

Quote from: alscalls on February 11, 2009, 09:32:16 PM
I would sure hope so!  :doh2:
:laf:

Hey Nasty: is the shot buffered in the steel loads you shoot?  :wo:

nastygunz

I would never have noticed the crack but being a muzzle loader hunter also I know it pays to lube your choke or breech plug threads...so learning from that experience I always check all my chokes now and then for any damage.

alscalls

The threaded portion of the choke would be hit hardest by the steel shot......settling as it exits the end. The crack was formed in the area with the most stress.
That being said the gas pressure is constricted as is everything else, forcing the pressure to be at its greatest behind the shot and in the choke tube....(The threaded area).
The combination of being beaten with the steel pellets hitting the edge of the choke and extreme gas pressure causes the crack to form on the highest stress area....(the threaded area).
It is thinner here and has room to expand as well, so it adds up to be the most likely place for it to crack.
I hope I make sense for ya.....After all I have a degree on the subject. :wink:
AL