• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Gun deer season ended yesterday.....

Started by coyote101, November 25, 2019, 09:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

......so I took the crossbow turkey hunting this morning.

I had the decoys out, and was in the blind early, waiting on the turkeys to wake up. About sunrise they did. There was a lot of yelping and cackling in the woods for several minutes, then they got quiet. They weren't close, but I knew they were on the ground and had hopes they would come my way. They never did, but over the next couple hours I saw a lot of deer. None of them were close, but they're always fun to watch.

Then, about 8:30 as I was packing up to leave, a doe started across the field headed toward the woods. I ranged her at 117 yards and didn't expect her to get closer than 80 yards or so before she went into the woods. But, she turned and headed in my direction and started closing the distance. She was checking out my decoys, and the next thing I know she was at 44 yards and still coming. I thought if she gets inside forty yards and offers a good broadside shot I'm going to take it. She kept coming, but was now off to the left side of the blind where I could see her through a small side window, but could not shoot. Just as I lased her at 21 yards she bolted. I wasn't sure if she got my scent, or just wasn't sure about the decoys, but she did a big semi-circle around them and stopped. Now she was on the right side of the blind where I ranged her out the other side window at 25 yards. She was locked on the decoys and as she moved closer to them she moved in front of my shooting window. And I shot her. It was a double lung pass through shot, but she still ran about a hundred yards before she went down.

So, my turkey hunt turned into a deer hunt, which is a lot more work but still great fun. It was pretty warm today, so I got her skinned and butchered and hung up to age for a few days. I still have a few turkeys to kill before the season ends. I am richly blessed.

Looking out at the decoys, hoping the turkeys show up.

She ran about a hundred yards before going down. The blind is visible in the upper right corner.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

pitw

Right on a great story about being versatile.  Good job Pat. :yoyo:
I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

The old decoying deer  with turkey decoys trick :yoyo:...that blind is in the magic spot!

Hawks Feather

Only you could go turkey hunting and not get a turkey, but get a much larger chunk of meat.  Like Nasty said I think you have an excellent place for your blind. 

Okanagan

Thanks for a great read to start my morning.  That was a tension builder as she approached, ran, circled and finally gave you a shot.  You are deadly with that crossbow! And that stand/shooting house blind sure has been productive since you posted pics as you built it.  Are you putting notches on the wall?  :biggrin:

Sky just turning pale in the east out my window and doggone I wish you were here, Pat, to share a cup.

remrogers

Was thinking that was the funniest looking turkey. Then I read the story. Nice job.

JohnP

"I am richly blessed" Yes Sir you truly are.  How many deer are you allowed and does the tag come with your license or must you purchase separately?  Only one buck a calendar year out here and you must enter a draw at $58 no does allowed.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

coyote101

Quote from: JohnP on November 26, 2019, 10:38:55 AM
How many deer are you allowed and does the tag come with your license or must you purchase separately?  Only one buck a calendar year out here and you must enter a draw at $58 no does allowed.

John,

A deer tag costs $35 and includes four deer. Additional tags for two deer may be purchased for $15, and there is no limit to how many you can buy, but in any case only one antlered deer may be taken per year. I buy a Sportsman's License which costs $95 and includes combination hunting/fishing, statewide deer permit, spring and fall turkey permits, state migratory game bird-waterfowl permit and trout permit.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

JohnP

Thanks.  Being a pilot I'm sure you spent some time at "Mother Rucker".  I attended the Sr Course there and if memory serves me right we were allowed one deer a day.  Since most of us were geographical bachelors or true bachelors a lot of hunting and fishing got done on weekends. 

I have what is called a Pioneer License, free if you met certain requirements,  and includes all small game and fishing must still apply for all big game.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

coyote101

Quote from: Okanagan on November 26, 2019, 09:12:11 AM
Sky just turning pale in the east out my window and doggone I wish you were here, Pat, to share a cup.

I believe I'd enjoy that too. You should try to make it to the LBL hunt one year.

Pat
NRA Life Member

coyote101

Quote from: Okanagan on November 26, 2019, 09:12:11 AM
And that stand/shooting house blind sure has been productive since you posted pics as you built it. 

Clyde,

Yes it has. I have killed a lot of turkeys from that blind, but this was only the second deer.

I built another one a few weeks ago. Like the other, this was built from salvaged deck lumber. I put it in a spot where I usually put a pop up blind and leave it for several weeks every year. I have killed a lot of turkeys at this spot, and killed that big buck from it two weeks ago. Unless we get hit with another tornado these blinds should be there for many years to come.

Start:

Mostly done:

Finished product:

Pat
NRA Life Member

nastygunz

I have lived in worse places than that blind ha ha

riverboss

Congratulations Pat! Your on a roll with that crossbow, I'm sure we will see a few turkeys soon.

Sent from my Vivo XI using Tapatalk