• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

My Morning Hunt

Started by JDMiller, January 15, 2010, 02:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDMiller

Had an eventful morning at the farm.

My first set was at daylight with a light drizzle. Decided to sit in one of our blinds ovelooking the foodplot. Put my Spitfire & rabbit decoy out about 50 yds ... ran a little of the bunny blues . I had just muted the call when movement caught my attention at the far end of the field about 300 yds. It was a pair of yotes coming straight down the middle of the field toward the call. I thought ...hey this is going to be good... when all of a sudden something was'nt right. They peeled out of the field and into the woods about as quick as they came in. The only thing I can figure the wind changed and they busted me or they caught sight of the rabbit decoy and new something was up. I'm still screatching my head a little on what got me busted.

Oh well... it had pretty much quit drizziling and decided to go to the next spot. My second set was in timber but near the edge of crp field. This has been a good spot for me in the past . I put the call out but no decoy. As before running some bunny blues for about 30-45 seconds then just sitting tight for a few minutes. At the beginning of my third series of calls.... a yote comes running in.... he never stopped until a 55gr V-Max tumbled him end over end. I was dang near leading him like a duck when I touched it off.... needless to say it was a head shot basically taking the skull cap off...DRT.

My third set was dry...no takers. Its about 10 am now ... talk myself into one more set on the opposite end of our place before heading home. This spot... is just thicket. I got just a few holes to maybe thread a bullet through...maybe. That is if a yote just happens to stop in the right spot. Well you guessed it... about midway through my second series of calls... I spot a glimpse of yote. Not just one but two... they come in quick never stopping where I could get a shot off... so I did'nt. Out of sight they went.

So... called up a total of 5 yotes and only squeezed the trigger one time on the 22-250 this morning. I pretty much rate that as a very good morning with my standards.

Heres a few pics....

This ones a little graphic but I was'nt kidding about the head shot.

Frogman

Wow!  JD,

Good shooting!  Thanks for the write up and photos.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

weedwalker

WTG on the head shot JD. :yoyo: It didn't waste any of the meat. :biggrin:

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

JohnP

Good shooting JD.  Looks like a long legged guy, is that 22-250 a 700?
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

slagmaker

Heck Yeah!!

Good job on the fur
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

pitw

Great story and pics,  I have had them do that coming right in and break off for no reason as well.  I think sometimes it's something else that spooks them :shrug:, like an eagle going over head or even something I can't see but they can like a deer. :confused:
I say what I think not think what I say.

JDMiller

Quote from: JohnP on January 15, 2010, 02:39:04 PM
Good shooting JD.  Looks like a long legged guy, is that 22-250 a 700?

I've got a couple 700's  but this is'nt one .... its a Stevens(Savage) 200XP camo. A package deal.. factory camo, mounts / Simmons scope / came already bore sighted.

In summary... cheap gun ....cheap scope ..... cheapest Foxpro to date. I'm a low budget yote hunter. :eyebrownod:

jdbp

great shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

Congratulations, JD! 

Quote from: weedwalker on January 15, 2010, 02:29:03 PM
WTG on the head shot JD. :yoyo: It didn't waste any of the meat. :biggrin:

JD,  here's why Ed don't waste any coyote meat...................

:laf:   :laf:

Dog Hawk

Good Job,JD:
Given your descriptions I would say that 1 out of 5 (20%) isn't too bad for a morning's work.  Keep it up.  I like to use a battery operated decoy sometimes, and occasionally have an indication that it may spook a yote rather than bring him in.  Don't know for sure, just an impression.  Other times the the decoy makes them crazy.  Keep shootin'

JDMiller

Thanks for the comments.... I'm truely hooked on this type of hunting. 

FinsnFur

Quote from: JDMiller on January 15, 2010, 02:19:29 PM

I pretty much rate that as a very good morning with my standards.

I'm with ya on that :yoyo:
5 customers. Thats pretty good stuff no matter how ya dice it up.

Have you ever tried letting out a short little "woof" when they are charging in like that?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

GunDog

QuoteI'm a low budget yote hunter.
The wife says ...  :readthis: ... I am to sir, grin  :eyebrownod:

Sounds like ya had an excellent morning Mr Miller! Congrats to you ...  :highclap: