• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Frogman's remodel . . .

Started by Frogman, April 28, 2010, 11:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

This spring has been a very busy one for me.  The wife and I have been saving for several years to do some fixing up around the house.  My Dad built this house in 1955 and it was in need of some remodeling.  We had a new garage door installed, had new railing put up around the existing concrete porch, and added a new 8 x 24 deck on the back of the house.  We also did some painting.  There is more to be done, but that will have to wait for a while.  Here are the pictures . . .

This is the front of the house.  You can see the new railing and the garage door (it's up so you really can't see it)

The new deck from the back.

The existing patio with new railing.

The new deck from the patio.

When Dad built the house he always planned for a deck on the back.  So we already had a door that now opens out onto the deck!

And three photos of the view from the new deck.

We are really enjoying these new improvements.  It's really nice to be able to see where your money goes!  I had most of the work contracted out.  It would have taken me a couple of years to have completed this project.  These guys did it in a week!  They had all the right tools and knew how to use them!!  I did help quite a bit and supervised to the best of my ability??

A couple of days after the deck was completed I was sitting out there in the evening enjoying the view.  I noticed a bumblebee land on the underside of the railing.  It appeared to be chewing into the treated wood of my new deck.  After some research online I learned that it was a carpenter bee.  These guys bore holes in wood!!  I'm thinking my whole new deck is going to collapse around my ears.  I called a friend of mine who has an exterminating business and he came and sprayed down the deck for me.  He said thses carpenter bees can be really bad this time of year and that it was good that we got to them before they bored all the way into the wood!!

Anyway, I have been busy with all this stuff and have not been online much.  Hope you guys enjoy the photos!

Jim

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

HaMeR

Looks like a nice place to spend the evening hours Jim.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

5 SHOTS

Very nice!  :yoyo: I like the guest house in the last pic.  :biggrin:
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

HaMeR

I think that is a MIL's house.  :innocentwhistle:

:laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

iahntr

Very nice !  :yoyo:  Great place to hang out.  :congrats:
I know we'd enjoy and use our deck more if we had that view.
Congrats ! Enjoy !
Scott

Hidehunter

Looks real good Jim.  I'd like to do that to my house.
Denver                                           

FinsnFur

Looks awesome. Looks like the perfect spot to set down, enjoy the breeze and suck the life out of a BudLight after work. :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

I think it looks like a great place for a FnF party!   Let us know when the MIL is gone so a few members will have a place to stay if they have a few too many.

Jerry

Yotehntr

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Frogman

You guys are welcome anytime.  Just bring the beverages!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

JohnP

Jim that is really nice.  I haven't seen that much green in one place for many years.  I agree with Jerry great place for a FnF party, but disagree with Jim - Bud light, nothing more than colored water.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

FinsnFur

Colored water :laf:
I'm a sissy...ok John? :shrug: :laf: :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dave

Looks like a nice place and I'm sure you'll enjoy the view.  Nice pics. 

Damn carpenter bees.  They attack my house and bore perfect holes through the exposed wood.  They're pretty easy to nail with a badmitton or tennis raquet, but they just keep on coming.  I've also tried shooting them with my old crossman 760 from my younger days.  Put about 15 to 20 #8 shot down the end of the barrell and pump it up about 6 to 7 x's.  You can see the shot come out against the sky and then make the adjustments.    I've gotten a few that way, but it gets old pretty fast.  The exterminator would probably be the best solution.

markTNhunter

nice patio and deck my wife has been on to me for 3years to build a deck like that hope she dosent see them pics  :eyebrownod: im gona take some time off hunting sometime and build one :confused: and i love that yard with the old shed and the very green grass all the way into the woods very nice!