• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Can snakes catch fish?

Started by coyote101, August 30, 2010, 03:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

Apparently they can.

The wife and I were trout fishing Saturday morning at a small creek that is stocked by the Fish and Wildlife folks. Crystal clear cool water with dozens of trout lounging in the shade in a deep pool under a bridge. We're wading in the water trying to figure out what the fish want so we can have fresh trout for dinner. My wife gets kind of excited and says, "There's a snake in the water right there, and we're standing in it!"  Fifteen feet or so in front of us is about a four foot snake, moving slowly across the bottom toward the fish. He gets right in amongst them and ...... WHAM ...... fish on.

There was a little struggle, but not much. The snake rolled a few times as the fish tried to get away. It kept trying to get the trout to shore. My wife was still freaked, but I assured her the snake was not concerned with us as he had about a two week supply of groceries in his mouth. I watched it for a while until the snake worked the fish across the creek and I lost sight of them under some brush and overhanging rocks. I expect the snake eventually prevailed and is laid up somewhere with a big bulge in his middle. I wish I had the video camera.

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Hawks Feather

That sure looks like a big mouthful for that snake.

Jerry

KySongDog

Cool!  I saw a snake with a fish in its mouth on the Swamp People show on TV but have never seen it in person.   Good pics, Pat. 

Todd Rahm

That's probably one of the most awesome set of pics I have ever seen!!! Very nice job at getting them.   Seems like it was one of those life experiences ya never have the cameras for, but you did.  :congrats:

HaMeR

These pics are way cool Pat!! I seen the same show Semp did. Thanks for sharing!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

nastygunz

Thats awesome..that snake looks like what we call a Northern Water Snake up here, they are very aggressive and I have seen them catch fish many times...I have watched them root around in rock and muddy bottoms and catch small catfish.

FinsnFur

Never seen nuttin like either other then the one Troys granddaughter pointed out on Swamp People :laf:

Can you imagine standing there fishing Pat, minding your own business on a calm summer morning when all of a sudden WHAM! ya get slammed in the back of the calf by a snake mouth...and he's driving his teeth in deeper and deeper as you bend at the knees in pain screaming. :laf: :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

vayotehowler

great pics . either field and stream or outdoor life  has a bull snake catching sparrows under bridge, it pretty wild will look mfor the link

pitw

Quote from: FinsnFur on August 30, 2010, 08:42:05 PM

Can you imagine standing there fishing Pat, minding your own business on a calm summer morning when all of a sudden WHAM! ya get slammed in the back of the calf by a snake mouth...and he's driving his teeth in deeper and deeper as you bend at the knees in pain screaming. :laf: :laf:

Go ahead Pat and beat Jim to a pulp.  :puke:

I ain't never seen it and I ain't never wanting to  :pout:.  However your timing and ability with a camera [I am so happy you had with] was absolutely outstanding.  That is like described above and more and you deserve to be congratulated and thanked for sharing the best pictures taken lately if not ever.    :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: 
I say what I think not think what I say.

vayotehowler

i used to go the river when the water was low to lock for snagged lures. One day was wading and looking for lures and there was a pool to my left , kinda circular , like a holding pool, saw something wiggling out corner of eye kinda swimmy like and thought was a trout and tired a quick grasp, half way in i realize its a 3' copper head, water only about ankle deep and i took off running and tring to swim , Imagine i looked pretty silly running and doing a swimming motion with about 5'9" of me sticking out of the water :alscalls: :whew: :laf: :laf:   Like i say if you cant laff at yourself u cant laff at other people and that is no fun

vayotehowler

oh yeah any ideas what kinda snake????

coyote101

Quote from: vayotehowler on August 30, 2010, 10:02:25 PM
oh yeah any ideas what kinda snake????

Quote from: nastygunz on August 30, 2010, 07:23:59 PM
Thats awesome..that snake looks like what we call a Northern Water Snake up here,

I think nastygunz had it correct. It looks a lot like a copperhead, but is harmless and common throughout Kentucky.

I tried to zoom in a little for a better look:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

nastygunz

Jimmie in Ky

Growing up around the swamps and backwaters of western Ky I have seen thousands of snakes over the years. Not once have I ever seen that in hte wild. Seen turtles make a catch but not a snake. That should give you an idea of how lucky you are to have gotten that set of pics.  Jimmie

vayotehowler

it really is impressive . i like the zoom shots too  that  trout showed up well

Okanagan

Great pics and story!  I've never seen anything like that nor heard of such a thing.  I wonder if that has ever been photo documented before?  Those pics might have some value to the right publication.

Thank you for posting them.

vayotehowler

i was thinking the local media or antional media gcould do an interest piece on it , it definitely is cool

KurtisG

:shock2: :shock2: :shock2: :shock2: :shock2: :shock2: :shock2: :shock2: :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:     WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff