• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Stumbled onto a coyote, then bungled it!

Started by recurry, February 14, 2011, 12:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recurry

Hey All,

So a friend of mine has lost a couple of calves to the coyotes, and I thought I'd swing by his farm the other night and just take a look. I got out of the car, and was looking over the field with my NV unit, when I saw a coyote sneak out from the middle of the cows and head up into the woods. I couldn't believe I just stumbled on to one, so I got my chair and shooting sticks out of the trunk, set up next to the field and punched up a female coyote invite howl on the foxpro. Incredibly, the coyote came right back down to the edge of the field, and out into the open. I lined him up in the scope and sent one at him, but completely bungled it and he bolted back to the woods.

Totally depressing - considering I haven't had a coyote come in to the calls in two months, then I stumbled onto one and still managed to blow it. I found where the round impacted in the snow, and it went right under him - I underestimated the distance, and instead of being about 100 yards, where I'm zeroed, it was about 240 or so, which explains the low shot, but still... argh!

That's what I get for not ranging a field before setting out to hunt on it :-(

Russ Curry, mobwana.com.
online mapping system for hunters.

Carolina Coyote

Zero your rifle at 200 yards. Better luck next time. cc