• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Out of State Hunting

Started by blacky, February 26, 2007, 12:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacky

How many travel out of state to hunt and where do you go and what does it cost for license and all the tags?

I go to SC every spring for turkeys and it costs me $256 for the 10 day license and the necessary tags, big game and wma. They do give you free turkey tags. The 10 days include all sundays but you can't hunt on gma on sundays.
Complete line of turkey, locator, deer and squirrel calls.
www.genesturkeycalls.com

Ladobe

I hunted upland and waterfowl all over the west, in Mexico, Costa Rica and Brazil from the mid 50's to early 90's.   Ran my own GSP's and Brit's for many years.   Mostly on public lands and self guided, but also in shooting preserves with guides.   Costs really depended on where, what, how many and what the amenities provided were plus license/tags.

Because I went there so many times, I do remember though it being about $20-25 a bird for Mongolian Ringnecks at the Magma Pheasant Club (a few miles NW out of Surprise, AZ) back in the late 70's - early 80's.   But then their amenities were first class, were included in the bird costs and it was a before dawn to well after dusk package.    Very tasty and filling home cooked meals, excellent dogs and handlers, bird pick up and processing followed by "happy hour" in the lodge as long as you wanted to stay.   Because a reserve, you could hunt year-round and didn't need an out of state license.   My ex father-in law and 3 ex bro-in laws and I used to all meet up down there a couple of times a year and usually buy a 200 bird card for a 2 day hunt.   Yeah I know, pen raised birds.   But they actually were as if wild in the strip cotton fields, were 50% bigger than wild birds and tasted real good.   We hunted over flushing dogs there, mostly retrievers.   BTW, we'd make it a 2 week trip and spend the rest of our time hunting quail, cottontails and javelina on the deserts surrounding Phoenix, or down at the Greyhound Track.   

I don't think Magma is still in operation... probably swallowed up by the growth of the area a long time ago.   But their guided hunts were as good as any I ever did anywhere.

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus