• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Wyatt 1 - Moose 0

Started by Todd Rahm, January 14, 2014, 08:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Rahm

Hey fellas, it's been a while. I'm here daily just don't post or reply much because it's all done via my phone.  :doh2:

We'll anyway, as I said earlier, I would come back and up date ya on Wyatt's moose.

He drew a cow moose tag this year and it was the first time they offered this winter draw permit. He had from Nov 1st to Dec 25th to bag it. I was in no hurry to get him out, hoping to get a lil more snow for the sleds, and knowing we both had Christmas break off from school and work.

We went out on the 20th and saw a few but they didn't pan out. He came to me that evening and said he made arrangements for us to park at a friends home, and that he was gona take me to a spot where they run into a lot of moose while snowmachining. Do the next morning we're up early and headed out. It's getting day light at about 10:00, and that's about when we off loaded the sleds. I'de say were on the trail at about 10:30. We spotted several moose in the first opening (swamp) but they had calves with them (still fair game but we were in no rush and would rather the little moose go home with mom). So we shot down another trail with Wyatt out in front of me. I seen him drop and get off his machine but couldn't see what he was doing let alone lolling at. I pulled up to him as he was taking off his helmet, and said there's a moose over there, and pointed. He was already getting out his rifle as I got off my machine. I checked to make sure it no antlers, then gave him the go ahead to get ready. The moose was about 120 yards away and facing us. I told him to wait until she offered a broadside shot, then to put it behind the front leg. After what seemed like forever, she turned, he shot. I wasn't sure he hit her and already had him racking another round. He said she's bleeding right behind the front shoulder. She was still standing and moving from our right to left. I told him when I stop her, put it in the same spot. I tried a few grunts but nothing, so I let loose with a lousy cow-call and she stopped. As soon as she stopped he fired another round down range and racked in another. She took off at a dead run and he shot one more time but he hit a tree. It didn't matter though, she took about 10 steps and fell over. He was jazzed to say the least. Two connecting shots from his 30-06 and both through the heart. ( I was worried he would gut shoot her out of excitement of his first) So at 10:50, moose down.  :biggrin:

Todd Rahm

Some more pics.

Back strap and tenderloin.

slagmaker

thanks for takinv us along on the hunt.

looks like.some fine eating gona be a happening
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

coyote101

That was some pretty good shooting.  :congrats: Congratulations to Wyatt.  :highclap: Did you make the meat sticks Todd, or were they commercially done?

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

shaddragger

:yoyo: :highclap: WTG Wyatt! That is as good as it gets!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

HaMeR

Cool deal Wyatt!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Only problem now is your Dad knows where your honey hole is!!  :doh2:

:alscalls: :alscalls:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

WOW...Nice shooting indeed! Way to go Wyatt :congrats:

Boyeeee those sticks look delish!
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Yes, good decisions and mighty fine shooting in real field conditions. 

It looks like you cut off the quarters without gutting, and I like the way you keep the meat clean. 

Sure looks good to eat.

Hawks Feather

Congratulations Wyatt!!  That has to be a real thrill for both you and your Dad. 

Jerry

JohnP

Congratulations to Wyatt :highclap:  Sure does look like some fine eating.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

nastygunz

Nice!..moose is good vittlin!

FOsteology

Outstanding! Congrats to the young man. Heck of a big animal to take down. How much meat do you suppose was obtained from that cow?

Todd Rahm

Thanks fellas, it means a lot from you guys and I'll let Wyatt read it all tomorrow.

I quarters one side at a time removing the back strap and neck meat from the same side, flipped it and did it again. Once all the heavy meat was off, I opened the cavity to get the tenderloins and rib meat off.  This was quite the task since a had severaly strained/bicept tendon. It was slow for me but we were sleded up and head home by 4:00, which is getting dark time.

Because of my arm I only processed the tenderloins and back straps. Sent the rest off for processing. Wieght wise if I had to guess would be between 250 and 300 pounds. I happened to realize with two big game hunters in the family, I'll need two, maybe three freezers.  :innocentwhistle:

KySongDog

Congratulations, Wyatt!   Great job!   Perfect shot.   :congrats:

Todd, if you would stop arm wrestling Wyatt maybe you won't get hurt again.    :laf:

Carolina Coyote

Congratulations to Wyatt, good shooting it sounds like he was very calm and concentrated on making the good shot, that's the way to do it Wyatt.  :congrats:  :congrats: cc

Dave

Good shooting, Wyatt!  You put it there two times and I'm sure your dad appreciated your doing so as those carcass pics look perfect - no wasted meat and he didn't have to deal with messy guts! 

Coulter

Oh man, you tease! There's some fine dining there....mmmmm, good. Congrats to both you and Wyatt, nicely done!

Steve

Todd Rahm

Hers the pic I thought I posted.

Dale

congratulations Wyatt... nice looking animal... I hope to do the same one day...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

Dave

That is a beast!  How much do you think she weighs on the hoof?  Close to 1,000?
By the way, Wyatt, nice job spotting that.  I'd have probably driven right by her.