• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Showcase, Holzer Howlers, by Brad Holzer

Started by Brad H, May 31, 2007, 09:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yotefever

Great looking call Brad and you sure have an even better looking family. My kids are 18 and 23, sure do miss the early years.  :wink:
http://www.whitcombministries.org/
http://www.answersingenesis.org/
"My Jeep won a war...Your Honda mows my yard !"

ROOSTER

That is a badass looking howler.  :yoyo: Love the flames and the finish. :congrats:

Bopeye

Quote from: Brad H on June 08, 2007, 07:16:31 PM
Thanks for all the great replies fellow hunters! I can't say enough about this showcase idea Jim and Brent put together. And it's a privilege to be a part of it.

Bop, I knew you lived in WY, but I didn't know you had oilfield ties either. Roundup is still there, but not much happening that I've heard. WY and CO are both exploding as I'm sure you know. It's an interesting business from every angle.

Brad

Oh yeah.......oil is what brought us to Tennessee. They were finding oil here in the early 80's, but it's pretty much petered out so dad went back to teaching (where he belonged) and I decided to stick around with him. What the heck......I like this country now.  :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

BasinBoy

beautiful howler Brad and great write up. you have a great lookin family

ohiobob

Brad
I WISH I had your skill and talent !!!  :congrats:
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

Todd Rahm

Brad, first and foremost, ya have a beautiful family.  You on the other hand, are an extremely classy fella, with a flair for producing some very classy antler calls and horn howlers.  :congrats: Its been my privilege to have the opportunity to know ya, and enjoy your calls over the years.  ;yes;

Fellas here's a few I have been lucky enough to get over the years. This first one is my all time favorite. When I fist got it it took me a bit to get used to the steeper tone board, but when I did it was a screamer. One of the loudest I have.

Three other antlers to include the "Ghost Flame" one.

My howlers, a "Field of Screams" One of three, a howler with a killer color, and the wolf howler.

And this dandy is a calibration call between Brad and Paul Merrill (MadMoose). A great call from to great friends.

So Brad you for sure are a "Show Case" call maker.  :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie:

And have room for many more........to include a flamed howler.  :biggrin: Plus Brad in your show case banner theres three lighter collored wooden calls.......................what are those and how did I miss those?

ohiobob

Todd
In the 4th pic you have on here,,it looks like a piece of broken Horn that has something inscribed on it,,what is it for ???
AND the Antler calls,,I see the Lanyard "stud" (or whatever its called) on the side,,is ALL the material Ground away to make the "stud" and just a Hole drilled through it ??? that is a cool ass idea,,as usual Brads calls are VERY NICE and Unique !!! I always though they only put flames on Harleys and Hot Rods  :biggrin:
VERY nice calls Brad and Todd,all I can say is,,I WISH I had a collection like that  :highclap:
Bob

Silencer

Todd Rahm

Bob,

Thats a base made for holding the howler. Its made from buffalo horn too. It is inscribed "Field of Screams""#2 of 3" and e other side is signed by Brad. This one of a set of three howlers that Brad made.

As far as the lanyard stud, I believe your accurate in your assumption on how it is made, and they are a very nice touch to the calls.

And thanks for the kind comments Bob.

Brad H

Wow, Todd!! Thanks so much for such a generous contribution and the nice comments!I remember every one of those calls too. Bob, that is part or the antler I formed and smoothed into a lanyard holder. The trouble is, the right horn to do this is kinda hard to find.

I made some mini wood howlers for a little while if that's the pic you're talking about. The idea was mainly the reason for my getting a lathe a couple years ago. I haven't been making as many of these lately, but aren't phased out or anything. I'll be back to making them again when the time comes.

A juniper set

And a longer look at this guy....

Thanks again for the nice replies everyone. Like I said, I'm anxious for someone to receive this howler!

Brad

bowjunkie

man that juniper set is way cool those would look nice down here in the cedars  :eyebrow: ,Brad have you found out if your gonna get down this way yet if not I will be in Big Sky oct 13 and 14th

canine

Brad, :bowingsmilie:

Very nice tutorial and family. Cherish the times you have with those little ones because they grow like weeds. :wink:

That showcase howler is outstanding :yoyo: You do some very articulate work. :congrats: Whoever gets that baby is recieving a piece of art..

I didn't know last year was a first for your cat trapping...Great job on being successfull and hopefully this year will bring more.
Lookin forward to seein your trappin pics come fall..

JD

5 SHOTS

I live close enough to Brad I get to see most of the calls that he makes, and once in a while talk him out of the best ones before anyone else gets to see them, so if I don't win, I'll just have to go and talk his kids into giving me  MY new call! :hahaha: (just kidding) I'll have to get a pic of my Brad H calls to post. Awesome work as always Brad :yoyo:
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

WhiteHare

Brad, you have some fantastic calls.  It's good to see that family is at the top of your list.  They are a fine looking group.
I enjoy vewing your creative talents.  Keep up the good work.
WhiteHare Lanyards
Richard Hughes

www.white-hare.com
whitehare@white-hare.com

ohiobob

Damn,,I was hoping the Horn Howler would arrive today for my Birthday  :sad: I guess I am going to have to take my Wife by the hand and bring her over to my Laptop and physically point out the Horn Howler(s) I wanted for my Birthday  :biggrin: she is Blonde and ya know Blondes have A.D.D and CAN'T remember that well  :shck: well My Blonde cant remember since the Howler wasnt here on June 28Th  :doh2:
Oh well,one of these days  :eyebrow: :eyebrow: I will own some Horn Howlers ,one of these Days  :madd:
Bob

Brad H

Not yet, Ed. But the Cortez work is still there for us. We may not get marching orders till fall though. The good news is the company that wants the work done will fly the rig crews directly from Glendive to Cortez. Kinda nice since it's something like 1100 miles. When my schedule gets back to normal I'll see if I can make it to Big Sky at that time, and we'll figure out what kind of trouble we can get into. :laf:

JD, yip, that was my first year. Never trapped a thing in my life till last year. I spent 9 months researching and scouting. "5 SHOTS" is responsible for 90% of my trapping grounds. He had an idea of the type of country I was looking for and always knew where some new rocky type stuff was that I might be interested in. BTW, and I might mention this at a later date in the trapping forum, but there's a guy from Wisconsin that makes kickass custom wood stretchers. He goes by the name " HappyPlumber" on Coyotes r us. I have 4 of his cat stretchers and I plan on gearing up for coyotes with more of the same from him. He's worth looking into if you're ever up for a change.

And just so you guys know, Art, (5 SHOTS) is also responsible for the aluminum sleeves that are sometimes found on some of my buffalo horn howlers. He's been good enough to tolerate me breathing down his back telling him to take more off or make it a little narrower overall, and thought he didn't want credit or any mention at all...I'm doing it anyway. :biggrin:

Thanks WhiteHare. Family is first and foremost. After that, everything else falls right into place no matter the circumstances.

That's alright Bob. None of my blonds can remember anything either. But I'll be the first to admit I'm way worse than they are. I just don't admit it that often. :doh2: We'll fix you up with a nice one one of these days.

Brad

5 SHOTS

Quote from: Brad H on June 29, 2007, 12:05:56 AM
"5 SHOTS" is responsible for 90% of my trapping grounds. He had an idea of the type of country I was looking for and always knew where some new rocky type stuff was that I might be interested in.

And just so you guys know, Art, (5 SHOTS) is also responsible for the aluminum sleeves that are sometimes found on some of my buffalo horn howlers. He's been good enough to tolerate me breathing down his back telling him to take more off or make it a little narrower overall, and thought he didn't want credit or any mention at all...I'm doing it anyway. :biggrin:

Brad
:holdon:  Now that wasn't necessary. Now everyone knows your secret. :biggrin:
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

ohiobob

5 shots
Keep after Brad because whatever you 2 are doing is working out REAL WELL !!!   :congrats: :yoyo:
Bob

Fireball221

Sorry Brad, I have to add my .02$ as well.  You are an amazing person first and foremost and your call making abilities are awesome.  So here are a couple of before and after photos of an anitique cowhorn tip I picked up at an antique auction and thought, I know who could turn this into one sweet sounding and great looking open reed.  Well need I say more here it is and it sure is a great sounding call.  I will try and replicte the first photo with an updated picture tomorrow and post it. The second picture just doesn't do this call justice.

ohiobob