• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Fall turkey

Started by KySongDog, October 29, 2007, 06:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

I haven't had much time to hunt this year.  Stuff going on with my club and all. But the first part of Kaintuckee's fall shotgun turkey season came in last Saturday and I never miss a chance to turkey hunt.   As luck had it, I had committed to go 4-wheeling with my nephew last weekend (managed to roll me and my bike down a steep hill into a mud hole but that is another story  :roflmao: ) so I didn't get to hunt till this morning.

Got in the woods way before sun up.  I like to watch the woods come alive.   My favorite time to hunt.  I picked a spot that I knew held turkeys, sat down and waited for light.   About 45 minutes after daylight, I was thinking about moving to another location.  I had not seen or heard anything so far except three squirrels.   :madd:  I was thinking I ought to be squirrel hunting.  Then I remembered the first rule of turkey hunting...."Don't move!"  So I decided to give it a few more minutes. 

At about the one-hour mark, I saw movement over my right shoulder.  At about 200 yards, 10 to 15 turkeys popped over the ridge.  Of course I am facing the wrong direction as usual. I hear a few yelps and kee kee's and answer them with my mouth call.  I can see them turn and start heading my way. At this point I slowly twisted around to the right, hoping the bushes would cover my movement. 

They didn't spook but they turned about a 45-degree angle from me and kept coming.   They were too close to call anymore without focusing their attention on that big blob that was twisted around the tree (me  :eyebrownod: ).   It looked like they were going to head back over the ridge so at 57 steps I dropped the hammer on the bird that stopped to look at the big blob.   My super full SBE never fails me and she dropped like a sack of rocks.    :biggrin:   (Hens are legal in Ky in the fall in case ya were wondering) And the rest of the birds scattered to the 4 winds.   Kentucky allows 2 fall birds with a shotgun but only one per day so I didn't try to call them back.   :nono:

All in all I had a great morning. Thanks for lookin.   :biggrin:

Semp

nailbender

What a great way to start your day!  Congrats Semp :congrats:

studabaka

Sweet!! We don't have a fall season here  :madd:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

FinsnFur

Awesome. and he grinnin like a bird fed cat :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Thats a darn good way to start your whole week Semp!! Ohio has a 2 week shotgun fall season too & it just ended. I never got to go. Fall archery runs until Nov 29th. We'll see. I don't know about arrowing a turkey just yet. We can shoot any bird we see but are only allowed one in the Fall.

Great story & cool picture. I was hoping you didn't say you went to move & got busted!! :whew:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

iahntr

Scott

Hawks Feather

Way to go.  Looks like a good Thanksgiving dinner this year.

Jerry

Silencer

Congrats, that some good eatin right there.  I havent made it out yet.  Tomorrow I'm scouting a rifle deer stand and bringin the shotgun along.  Hopefully I'll run into a turk, pheas, rabbit, etc etc etc. 

No pic of the SBE ???  I wanna get jealous :biggrin:

KySongDog

Silencer

Not much to look at really.  Just a run of the mill SBE. It's leaning against my right shoulder in the pic. You can see the sling too.   :wink:  It's full camo and I've hauled it for years to the woods and, when I use to water fowl hunt, to the goose pits.  3 1/2 inch #5 hevi-shot with a Briley super full turkey choke does a heck of a job on turkeys.

Semp