• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

goin back for blues in two weeks.

Started by bigben, July 30, 2008, 07:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

just like last year I am going back for blues.  using the same boat and such.  but last year we did some fishing off the side of the boat while we waited.  we get down there about 3 hrs before it is time to go out to miss the philly traffic.  this year I would like to take my own stuff to fish on and the simplest way I seen someone do it is they use a jig with cut bait on it.  cast out let it go to the bottom then slowly reel it back in sometimes jiggn it off the bottom.  caught sea robins and fluke doing it that way.  I was wondering the only rod that I have that is heavy enough for em is a med heavy bass rod that right now has 12 lb test on it.  it is a baitcaster.  will that work for the little bit of fishing we will be doing before heading out on the boat?  last year the one skipper was fishin off the front and once he caught a sea robin he just cut that up and used that for bait.  trying to get salt water stuff here in pa is gonna be hard so right beside the boat is a bait shop and that is where I will probably get my hooks and leaders and such.  any suggestions? 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

frshwtr

as far as rods i got a set at wally wordl that handles up to 3 oz. of weight would be good for off a pier or off the side of the boat like you said, i think rod and reel was around $50 for both. when fishing for a lot of the saltwater fishies 12lb is good but you need about 2 ft of flora carbon leader at least 40lb test. as far as getting hooks and such around here Bass Pro in HBG as well as cabelas have salt water sections. hope you have a ball.

bigben

what is the point to putting heavy line for the last little bit?  does it help with abrasion resistance? 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

George Ackley

(((what is the point to putting heavy line for the last little bit?  does it help with abrasion resistance?)))
It's good for a lot of reasons one being that line get expensive so you can back you line up with a lighter, cheaper line and put the good stuff on the last couple hundred yard, many of us do it to are light tackle fresh water rod also, And some of us will sometimes put just a 10 or 12 foot peace of larger line on the end we find that it will hold up better the light line on the first strike when trolling ,, it will help if the fish gets raped up in you line also. the leader will hold up better then the thin stuff so yes it also a fabrasion resister ,, with a shock leader you get best of both world you get to fight the fish on light tackle and still have the strength of the heavy line leader.

Helpful hints for ben from mister no it all,,,,

the bait caster is a fine rod to be used off the side of the boat before heading out.. the set up you spoke about ( bait caster) is fine for the blues also , just use a steal 6'' leader 12 lb line  is also good for blues .
but in most cases if your on a head boat ( party boat ) you will have other guys to take into consideration with such small tackle you will have to play you fish and that my not be the thing to do with other anglers fishing next to you . it will lead to nothing but spending time working out knots..

if you going to get anything get your self some blue rigs with the leader attached and good swivels.
and use the rod they supply on the boat they are over siized so you can bull the fish right in without messing up others pick a good one though, lot of them will have bad line on them..

rain gear paints are in order, the deck can get messing if you get into the fish ....the boat boots are only 17 bucks they help also

as for bottom fishing,, well the only thing about that is you my spend your time messing with other fish like
small sharks and such, the trick is when you get intothe blue fish take your sinker and just let out you line hook and bait.. the blues will find it but the sharks tend to stay at the bottom ..

if you get some blues have the mate cut out the cheeks , they are the best part of the fish to eat.

if your going on a head boat this time next time you should look for a open boat,, that's a guys that have there own boat thats looking for a couple guy to share the gas with .. you most likely will have a better time and meet new people/ there are a lot of guys down here looking for help with the gas..

Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

bigben

thanks george and frshwtr.  I have very limited amount of saltwater experience.  I will probably use the boats rods because all the tackle and bait is included. 

Silencer

Quotemany of us do it to are light tackle fresh water rod also,

I do, I have the first 50-100 yards with 8 lb mono as backing, then I run a half spool of 14lb firewire on my freshwater rigs.

OH, good luck ben, take some pic and video !!!

frshwtr

actualy my use of the heavy leader is because of blues biteing thru the line. i'm not a fan of wire leaders when surffishing or throwing bucktails around inlets . a little advice here, dont get your fingers near a bluefishes mouth. those teeth hurt and can take of a good sized piece of meat.

bootmud

You guys can have them dang boats and the biggest fish in the world.  I went out on a boat fishing one time and that will be the last.  After about an hour I got  :puke:   very    :puke:    sick. :puke:
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

alscalls

Thats called chummin........ :laf: I do that too
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

bootmud

Quote from: alscalls on July 31, 2008, 08:54:48 PM
Thats called chummin........ :laf: I do that too

Al,  there's no way.   I'm a land lubber. :laf:
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

frshwtr

i know my spelling isnt so good but i too get a little green when out on the big pond in a boat, i take dramamine and for me it works. i probably catch more blues from shore than from a boat, course you guys on the boats get bigger ones i'm shure.

bigben

when we are fishing off the side of the boat there really aint no blues while still sitting at the dock.  we get down there early to avoid the jersey rush hour.  we are there normally 4 hours early so what we did was fished off the boat.  that is all I am taking a rod for.  when we go out in the ocean for blues I rent a rod from em for 5 bucks and they include all the tackle and bait.  if you take yer own rod out then ya got to pay for your own tackle and bait.  the rod I am taking is pretty much for fishing for fluke at the dock.

bigben

captian is reporting tonight is supposed to have great fishing.  seas are only suppose to be 1-2 ft should be a good night.  wish me luck fellas. 

cathryn

did you have any luck?

how do you cook them? i
wen i lived in Va and fished for thm, the only way i liked them was baked.

bigben

sorry I never got back to you cathryn.  I got to thinking about this years trip and seen you posted to last years and I never awensered.  as far as how we did.  we got there early as usual.  but for some reason they had the boat we normally use at a different spot so we couldn't get out to where the good fishing was.  we were pretty much fishing 20 ft of shore and didn't really catch much except the buzz from drinkin beer.  we were about ready to head out on a smaller boat then we thought we were going to go on and a bout 4 mini vans pulled up loaded down with mexicans.  they all boarded and darn near forgot to rent rods and allmost took a 50 dollar boat ride.  we got a good spot at the back and once we got to the fishin hole we started catchin instantly.  after getting about 8 or so in it dwindled down to a few and then we moved I caught a few more and that was it.  about 12 total for me.  as far as keeping some?  I realed em up short and pulled em over board and then threw em back.  I really do not mind the taste at all but if I would have kept em all I would still have a bunch in the freezer.  the fillets you get of them things are allmost 4 -6" wide and then about a foot long and 1.5 thick.  the 6 fillets I did bring back went to coon bait for the winter.  which I do have to say worked pretty spiffy.  but I did not cook any.  I want to bring some back and smoke em though and see how that goes.  if I smoke it and then freeze I might be able to keep it. 

and instead of making another post we are heading back to the same boat doing the same thing this thursday night as long as it doesn't rain.  I was thinking about taking the helmet cam and getting some video of the action.  not sure yet.  I really do not want to loose that.  we will see.  we have 5 guys in our group going down.  so far the rain looks like it is holding off