• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

what snow does to coon sets

Started by cathryn, January 27, 2009, 10:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathryn

i have 2 coon sets in each of these runs. with the snow and cold theyre predicting, who knows when itll be nice enough for me to get in there nd remake the sets.

Silencer

looks like they could drift in very easily and you'd be up to your hind end in it.

Hawks Feather

You need to remember this for next year and make you sets about 25 feet up in the trees.     :innocentwhistle:    I can remember not being able to get traps out of ditches until late spring - first the ditches covered over with snow (about 8 to 10 feet) and then when it thawed they were under 6 feet of water.  Needless to say, I never had all that much luck trapping.  I did catch the largest "field" rat that the fur buyer had ever seen.  He offered me a quarter for it just so he could show it to people.  Did I sell it?  Heck yes, muskrats were going for 50 to 75 cents.  And yes, it was a field rat with a little round tail and I didn't get taken by the fur buyer.

Jerry

cathryn

those same runs las year produced 9 con between em and this year its only been 3. ive been remaking sets more than setting new ones this season and it does get frustrating.

we dont control th weather so we take what we get and be thankful it isnt worse.

its a good thing we got an extra week of trapping before deer season came in this year and some decent weather in the beginning couple weeks of season or we wouldnt have crap. we caught right at  160 coon in the first 3 weeks.