• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

I missed!!

Started by alscalls, May 11, 2009, 11:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alscalls

I have been working hard to get a bird to come in a gobbling and strutting ......I even passed up one bird this year cause I spooked him. I have had 5 strutters counting today but 4 of them were not close enough. I wanted to call one in strutting and gobbling his fool head off and shoot him with a shot gun even though we are allowed rifles.
Yesterday I was talking with my BIL and he had just lost a calf to coyotes....The mother had fell down a hill and hit her head on a rock and they had to put her down....We tried to find the calf with nothing to show for it....Wel last night about 9:30 the coyotes got it down and killed it eating only the tail and tearing off an ear. :argh:
I told him I would try for one this AM and then move to another area and do some turkey hunting.
So I do not even leave the house till about 7:30AM and take my time getting up there. When my BIL comes out of the house he said the yotes woke them up at 5AM howling again. So I take the rifle and go the VERY long way around so to have the wind right and set up way high on an open ridge.
I did my coyote set and sure enough after about 2 min a yote Warning barks me from behind me at like 30 yds. I could not get the shot.... :puke:

So I move to the turkey hunting area I had in mind and sat for a while and yelped 3 times...YELP Yelp yelp.....Nothing
So I just sat there for a long time....I got up to leave and I hear GOBBLE!!!!! strait down the hill from me about 150yds.... :yoyo:
It was ON! I just sat there not making  any noise and he gobbled again.....GOBBBLLE!  I yelped 3 times YELP Yelp yelp...
He Gobbled again GOBBBLLE! He was closer all in all I called 3 times in an Hour and he gobbled about 4 times in that hour. :rolleye:

I sat there quiet for what seemed for ever and I could not take it anymore.....I Clucked once and a fan appeared at 20 yds strait in front of me...This bird never gobbled again and I never called again I just watched him strut back and fourth for about ten Min. as I had some junk between he and I that I was not going to shoot through...It was a BEAUTIFUL site! :yoyo:

He finally stepped into the open and I took the saftey off my rifle and BOOM I MISSED!
All that work all that effort and I FREAKING MISSED!...... :laf: Ya gotta love hunting If I had not heard the word coyote I would have had my shotgun and I would be showing Yall a pic right now.... :iroll:
I had a great time though and I aint done yet.... :yoyo: :yoyo:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Frogman

Good write up Al!  Keep after them, the turkeys and the coyotes!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

HaMeR

At least you got a shot Al. I pulled a bonehead move Sunday that cost me my bird.  :doh2: :doh2: :doh2:  :doh2:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

pitw

Great story Al.  I think I enjoy reading about miss's as much as hits cause then I feel a bit more normal.
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Yeah it wouldnt be any fun if there were never any misses.
Most of the rush is wondering if your going to connect.

Ya think the swat team gets a rush like we get when they are watching the Unibomber through his front window from a rooftop across the street? :nono: Not much if they do.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

I will be back out tomorrow and then its off to the mountains again for some fishing........ :eyebrow:
AL

KySongDog

Great story, Al!   :congrats:

I've never turkey hunted with a rifle.  But I can understand when they are that close a rifle would be a disadvantage, especially a scoped rifle.

You'll connect on one before the season is over with, I'm sure of it.   :yoyo:

nastygunz

DANG I wish we could rifle em!!...that would be a blast...no pun intended....handgunning em.... :yoyo:

Okanagan

Great story! Didn't know there were many places where you can hunt turkeys with a rifle.

I've never hunted turkeys but I'd prefer to do it with a rifle if I ever get the chance.  I'm a rifleman, haven't used a shotgun since high school duck hunting, except on one little buck in a shotgun only area a few years ago.  We kill grouse with a .22 or with rocks we throw (My personal bests are two grouse with one .22 shot, and two grouse for two rocks.  My worst is a sore arm and no grouse.)

I'd love to lay out with my heavy barrelled custom 6mm and take the head off a turkey across a field.

Better luck the next time out.

alscalls

This would have been my first gobbler with a rifle......I have always used a shotgun or bow, even though I have been allowed a rifle I find it a lot more fun.
I have killed hens in the fall with a rifle but never a big Tom. I have taken a bunch of em with a shotgun and I wish I had it with me on this day.
Only reason I brought the rifle was for the yotes.
The 6mm ? I got bold and tried to shoot it in the neck......thats how I missed.... :doh2:
AL

Frogman

Al,

The nice thing about hunting with the rifle is you either miss them or kill them.  Not much chance of a wounded bird!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!