• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Maiting season

Started by fuzz624, December 23, 2006, 02:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzz624

I know that the coyote maiting season varries all over the country.Does anyone know when it starts in different areas of the country.I am wondering about Ohio,but i would also like to hear about other parts of the country as well.Thanks guys

KySongDog

According to the KY Fish and Wildlife folks, mating occurs in late February to early March in Kentucky. With 3 to 7 pups  born 60 to 63 days later.  Litter size and pup survival can vary greatly in relation to the food supply.  Pups begin to travel with the adults at about 8 weeks of age.

Semp

Jimmie in Ky

Actually if you are in the right place at the right time, you may hear the female invitation howls now. This will continue through january. Actual mating season is late january and early febuary, this is when howling comes into its own for sure. They will begin defending territories against all comers at that time. This also makes cainie distress osunds number one for calling in my opinion. Jimmie

Jimmie in Ky

Did some locating last night. Had a female doing the invite thing for quite a while. Jimmie

Bopeye

I agree.........we should be heading into the pairing up thing right now..........mating will start late January and February. Around middle of April the pups should be here or close anyway.

I about have my dogs ready to try them out for some tolling work. I hope they are feeling really defensive this year. My female is doing real well, but my male is seeming to want to mix it up a little too much with everything he comes across. He's only 6 months old........maybe a few good nips from a real live coyote will cure him of this.  :wo:
I guess only time will tell now........ :huh:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

FinsnFur

January / February here also. But all the way through March howlers are hot on the stands.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bopeye

Can someone explain this invitation howl? I'd sure like to learn it before I get to the LBL.

Jimmie in Ky

It's a short howl similar to the challenge except that it is softer and goes up in pitch and just barely starts down in pitch and it's cut off suddenly like the challenge. She will sometimes give it with a slight waver when th pitch gets near the top but it is always chopped off for an ending. May be a single bark with it but most of the time no barks. Thats the best way I know to describe it. One of the best Videos to see and hear it done is Primos the truth with Randy anderson.

Now is the time of year that I hear them around here. Don't hear them much in febuary. Jimmie

Bopeye

Thank you Jimmie. Would it be safe to say that a guy that isn't real good with a howler yet, could he mess it up real easy and make it a challenge howl?
It just seems with the sudden cut off that it's so similar and all to the challenge howl.
Who knows, maybe the coyote would come anyway.  :shrug:

Jimmie in Ky

Not if you think of starting it like the lone howl and just chopping it off after you top out  the pitch. It is a soft sound like the lone howl. I think it would be more likely to make the challenge into a warning than to make the female invitation into a challenge. If you ever hear the two calls out in nature you would clearly know the diference right away. Challenge is a real agressive sound. And the female will often go across country doing this howl. When she gets started she keeps it up for a very long time, sometimes for hours. And I am not sure this isn't the sound Stan and Brian use the most since it can be repeated so often just as it is done in nature. Jimmie