• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Howling hints!

Started by Bob D, August 25, 2006, 03:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob D

Probably most of you have no problem using the open reed howlers. I can sound pretty good on some howlers some of the time but not always. I have 8 open reed howlers from some pretty respectable call makers, several of which are active participants on this forum. I can't consistently make a decent sounding howl, at least to my ears, each and every time I use them.  Some are easier to blow than others. Any hints of wisdom to help me out would be appreciated.

Brad H

Here's some things I do and have noticed that might help;

I pin the reed between my front teeth and the toneboard when I use a howler. I can manipulate the sound better that way and I think a lot of howlers are designed to work better in that manner.

The whole toneboard does not need to be used. It only takes a very slight movement of the tooth on the reed either up or down to change the pitch of the sound when blowing. If I make single long howls I might bite one spot on the reed and use pressure to change the pitch rather than moving my teeth on the toneboard at all. It might take some practice to find the small area on the reed where the pitch won't break if you do move your bite point on the reed, but there's always one there.

One other thing that might help...Bend the reed up at the base so it angles slightly off the toneboard. It won't hurt a mylar reed a bit and it helps eliminate or smooth out the breaks in sound in most cases.

Brad

Greenside

The biggest variable for me has always been voice width and side Wall taper. When the voice get much less than 3\4"  that's when I start having trouble with them. I don't own one but the Taylor special with a Carlton Bell might be as good of a howler that you'll find and I suspect a BH with a 3\4 voice would rank right up there. IMHO

FinsnFur

When I started using howlers my first one was a Sceery howler. I carried it in the work truck and practiced everyday on the way to and from work.

I think the toughest part for either a beginner, or a NEW howler is how far you put it into your mouth. I found a spot that worked on the sceery by holding the call the same every time, and using my thumb for a guide as how far into my mouth to go with it.

That was several years ago, and getting good with that  reed howler gave me what I needed to grab any reed howler, play the tone board once to get a feel of where the pitches are and roll out a good howl following that.

The last thing you want, and I think everyone either goes through it or did at one time, and that is to get on a stand, and set there looking at your howler wondering if your gonna mess things up right away. Practice, practice and practice, gives the confidence needed to eliminate that feeling.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Jerry Hunsley

This is not meant to be an advertisement for my call. You guys should try mine. It has a whole different principle in the way you blow it. You don't have to manipulate you mouth on the call or bite down on the reed or pull the call out to the end to get the disired sound. All you have to do is start your howl with just a little bit of pressure and to get the higher pitch howl,just blow a little harder .Very simple. That is the way I designed it. Nothing against any of the calls that are out there. For the people that have trouble making the different vocalizations , this is the one for you. The Wiley One Howler. I have nothing but admiration for call makers as they put out some beautiful creations such as Brads.

centerfire_223

Let's see a picture of this howler.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

FinsnFur

:eyebrownod: I was thinking the same thing  :huh:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Rick223

I had a dan thomson howler this thing had a long reed I was able to mess up my calls very easy so I put a notch on the bottom for my lower teeth to set in that helped me alot and this may sound silly but when I practiced I noticed that the angle I kept my head at was different from when I was actually huntin witch affected the sound because I wasnt holdin the call in my mouth the same way.

Rick
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Jerry Hunsley

Jerry Hunsley

Rick223

Very nice lookin howler Jerry :yoyo:
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

centerfire_223

What kind of price you got on those?
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Jerry Hunsley

Rick223

centerfire_223

How about do some sound clips with one of them and post them on here.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Jerry Hunsley

Quote from: centerfire_223 on August 27, 2006, 01:52:46 PM
I guess I could do that. I"ll see what I can come up with. It's raining a little bit but I'll go try it. Later.

nailbender

I heard Jerry's coyote talk up in Sioux Falls last Dec.. Those little howlers sound pretty good!

Jerry Hunsley

Quote from: Jerry Hunsley on August 27, 2006, 05:53:01 PM
Quote from: centerfire_223 on August 27, 2006, 01:52:46 PM
   I guess I could do that. I"ll see what I can come up with. It's raining a little bit but I'll go try it. Later.
  Okay, I"m back. I had to shorten up the tape because photobucket only allows 3 minutes of video. I apologize . I got most of what I wanted to say on the video though.Hope you enjoy.

Bob D

Jerry,
You make that look easy! Sounds good too! Thanks for the demonstration.
Bob

FinsnFur

Very, very nice Jerry   :wink: Thanks for puttin that up.

Looks like you got the feller in the back all trained up too, he scanned that horizon very efficiently. Couple times I thought he had a fix on something. In fact I had to go back and watch the video again to see what the heck you were on about because I was too busy watching the dog the first time. :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers