Anyone up for a roadtrip?

Started by cathryn, November 15, 2009, 10:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathryn

First U.S. marijuana cafe opens for business in Portland
Tom Johansmeyer
Nov 15th 2009 at 10:15AMText SizeAAAFiled under: Healthcare
More

Cancel your flight to Amsterdam â€" the U.S. just got its first marijuana cafe on Friday. Located in Portland, Ore., the Cannabis Cafe shows how attitudes have changed since the Obama administration moved into the White House. A month ago, President Barack Obama told federal attorneys to ease off medical marijuana prosecutions.

The widening use of medicinal marijuana has forced governments into a tenuous legal balancing act, according to a Reuters report. Some states passed legislation to allow it, starting with California in 1996. Nonetheless, a federal ban remains in place. The operation of businesses like the Cannabis Cafe, as well as marijuana establishments in California, has been possible as long as federal authorities have chosen not to pursue them. Unlike the shops in California, though, the Portland establishment is the first in the U.S. where certified medical marijuana users can both acquire and consume their marijuana, as long as they stay out of public view.

Madeline Martinez, executive director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws in Oregon, says that the Cannabis Club "represents personal freedom, finally, for our members." NORML supports legislation to legalize marijuana.

"Our plans go beyond serving food and marijuana," Martinez continues. "We hope to have classes, seminars, even a Cannabis Community College, based here to help people learn about growing and other uses for cannabis."

The Food is For Sale, but the Pot is Free

The Cannabis Cafe's new home is a two-story building with an interesting past. Once upon a time, it was occupied by a speakeasy, and later, an adult entertainment club called Rumpspankers. The Cannabis Cafe is a private club, but any Oregon resident who is a member of NORML and has an official medical marijuana card can gain entry.

Members pay $25 a month for use of the cafe, which has a capacity of 100. The product offered is not sold. Rather, it's provided free over the counter from the "budtenders" employed by the establishment. Food, of course, is available for purchase, but the club doesn't have a liquor license. (Why bother?)

The potential market for the Cannabis Cafe is small, but likely committed. Approximately 21,000 patients are registered to use medical marijuana in Oregon, with doctors prescribing the drug for a wide range of illnesses, among them Alzheimer's, diabetes, multiple sclerosis and Tourette's syndrome.

Eric Solomon, the proprietor, says he still just runs a coffee shop and events venue, as he did before he converted it to the current format, but he says, "now it will be cannabis-themed." Film festivals and dances are expected for the second floor ballroom, not to mentioned marijuana-themed weddings.

Neighboring businesses have mixed feelings about the new cafe, but they are hopeful that it will benefit them, too. David Bell, who works at a nearby boutique, is "withholding judgment." He notes, "There's no precedent for it. We don't know what to expect. But it would great if it brought some customers into our store."

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/11/15/first-u-s-marijuana-cafe-opens-for-business-in-portland/#

FinsnFur

:rolleye: Thats a bit ridiculous in my opinion. But then again I've never tried the crap either.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Are legalized crack houses next?  :rolleye:

cathryn

LOL, i knew itd get ya'll goin. :wink: :biggrin:

i still dont understand how state law can superceed federal law. with the medical marijuana angle,imo, thats what thyere doing.

pitw

Quote from: FinsnFur on November 16, 2009, 05:53:35 AM
:rolleye: Thats a bit ridiculous in my opinion. But then again I've never tried the crap either.

Then calling it ridiculous is out of line in my opinion and a bit ridiculous  :confused:.

Quote from: Semp on November 16, 2009, 06:07:32 AM

Could you explain to me how one would follow the other kind sir. :shrug:

If a natural remedy for pain exists and large pharmaceutical company's don't get a cut, it is bad, I don't think so. :innocentwhistle:  In my under rated opinion booze is much more of a problem drug than pot  :readthis:. [But then what do I know] :wo:
I say what I think not think what I say.

cathryn

i personally think the effects of booze are way more potentially horrid than the effects of weed.

i still dont understand how the states can legally run these type of places.

its like an up yours to the fed govt, isnt it?

if weed deaden the pain of some people who need it i dont see the problem.(damn but my back hurts, :wink: :roflmao:)

if the govt would just legalize it and tax the heck out fo it like cigs, i bet wed get the national debt paid off in no time.

i also think they sjhould tax the heck out of alcohol.................why is one substance with the same or worse effects than the other legal while its counterpart,imo, is illegal?

HaMeR

Quoteits like an up yours to the fed govt, isnt it?
:yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

Quote from: pitw on November 16, 2009, 07:16:31 AM

Quote from: Semp on November 16, 2009, 06:07:32 AM

Could you explain to me how one would follow the other kind sir. :shrug:

If a natural remedy for pain exists and large pharmaceutical company's don't get a cut, it is bad, I don't think so. :innocentwhistle:  In my under rated opinion booze is much more of a problem drug than pot  :readthis:. [But then what do I know] :wo:

I did not say one would follow the other, did I?  :nono:    It seems you might be a little thin skinned when it come to wacky tabacky, eh?   :eyebrownod:

But since you want to pursue the subject, what drugs do you think are safe for the general population to use?   :wo:  Marijauna, it seems, is OK in your view.  What about cocaine?  They used to put it in Coca-Cola, I think.  What about crystal meth?  I know several people who use it and they seem to get by just fine.   How about LSD, PCP, heroin, and Oxycontin?   Not too harmful if used in moderation, right?   So what say you kind sir? 

pitw

I drink coke by the truck load  :doh2:.  Nothing is good when taken in extremes.  I was a total alcoholic until the age of 28 so have a terrible hate on for that stuff as well.  Never tried anything harder than Mary Jane except once when a fellow put LSD in my beer[He never did that to anyone again that I know of].  Most drugs over the counter and handed out by doctors are as bad if not worse than the ones you mentioned.  I do happen to enjoy pot on occasion just like some like a taste of alcohol so if one is like poison should I be deprived of all?  I took your statement to mean that you thought one would progress to the next and am sorry for my assumption.   
   Besides all this nonsense it's easier to grow than getting blown up brewing. :biggrin:
I say what I think not think what I say.

golfertrout

ive seen alot of drunks and alot of stoners in my day and the drunks are way worse. put a room full of stoners in a room and a room full of drunks in a room and see who is more viliante, stoners sit back n smile while the drunks get mouthy and fight

cathryn

FinsnFur

Oh brother get a room you two :rolleye:

Al, are you seeing this?  :huh:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

cathryn

Al has nothin to worry about  :eyebrow: :wink: :roflmao:

golfertrout

cathryn

alscalls

I dont smile........I am married........... :roflmao: :roflmao:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

cathryn

smartass, :roflmao:

keep up comments like that and ya wont be for long, lol   :doh2:

alscalls

I dont smile...I am married........     I dont smile...I am married........   I dont smile...I am married........  I dont smile...I am married........  I dont smile...I am married........  I dont smile...I am married........  I dont smile...I am married........
I dont smile...I am married........     I dont smile...I am married........   I dont smile...I am married........  I dont smile...I am married........  I dont smile...I am married........  I dont smile...I am married........  I dont smile...I am married........ 
I dont smile...I am married........     I dont smile...I am married........   I dont smile...I am married........  I dont smile...I am married........  I dont smile...I am married........  I dont smile...I am married........  I dont smile...I am married........:biggrin:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

cathryn

:roflmao:

maybe itd be worth it cause ya are sure cheesin after that post,LOL!