• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Curing Ham?

Started by pitw, January 11, 2010, 06:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

I got a question for you fellers who have cured their own hams.  Has anyone used the method of pumping the brine in the arteries of the ham?  If so where exactly do I find it before I screw things up by cutting the dang things off where it won't do me any good :doh2:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

securpro

:confused: I would also like to know how to cure a ham, can you just feed the hog alot of salt prior to slaughter ?  :wo: I have had salt cured hame that would mak a maggot gag  :puke: and vice versa , so I am hesitant to try so I dont waste the ham.
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

slagmaker

I have heard of using the veins and stuff for pumping in the solution but have never actually seen any one do it. We always just dumped them in the brine and went about our merry way.

I would think you would just pump the brine into the veins with a injector syringe. No fancy tools or gadjets.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

The only ham I've ever tried to cure I .....well....... :confused:...

You seen the pics :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

I've cured hams with the needle injection into the meat but I want to try the artery injection.  What I've found is the vein get's brittle so I can figure that out but what I need is where exactly to look for the artery before I start.  I guess I'll learn one way or the other. Putting it in the brine without injection can be a risky adventure at best as I tried it with the boss in Australia and when we took the lid off the container there were two people  :puke: :puke: instantly.  Pretty much all rotting starts in the marrow of the meat so when injecting with a needle you have to get close to the bone and joints.  According to what I've learned[not experienced] is that by injecting into the artery's is that it disperses throughout the ham through the capillary's.  Even into the marrow.  This method cut's the curing time by soaking down to 4-10 days as opposed to 2-3  weeks.
 I'm also trying a dry cure on some bacon and brine curing on some bacon.  I did the brine cure last year with apple smoke and everyone in the house said it was the best we've ever had.

Bills Custom Calls

I have Never done a brine soak ham all I have seen,and done is a sugar cure,and that is made by Morton Salt Co
Mix a brine out of it and inject the ham close to the bone and joint,it still takes a couple weeks of curing and laying in the dry salt to cure then hang and smoke

http://morton.elsstore.com/view/product/?id=21227&cid=178

edit to add link
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

msmith

I have NO idea what I am talking about, just reading it from a book.

"Cut the artery long before the fork where the branches enter the ham... It is extremely important that the artery be left long on the ham to simplify insertion of the needle for Artery Pumping. Loosen leaf-fat with the fingers, separating it from backbone and ribs. remove the leaf-fat exposing the artery.  Leave a covering of fat on the artery to keep it moist and elastic.

Caution: Alongside the artery is the vein- smaller, darker and brittle rather than elastic. It will not take pickle, but will rupture."

Hope it helps.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

pitw

Quote from: msmith on January 11, 2010, 09:10:47 PM
I have NO idea what I am talking about, just reading it from a book.

"Cut the artery long before the fork where the branches enter the ham... It is extremely important that the artery be left long on the ham to simplify insertion of the needle for Artery Pumping. Loosen leaf-fat with the fingers, separating it from backbone and ribs. remove the leaf-fat exposing the artery.  Leave a covering of fat on the artery to keep it moist and elastic.

Caution: Alongside the artery is the vein- smaller, darker and brittle rather than elastic. It will not take pickle, but will rupture."

Hope it helps.

:laf: :laf: :laf: I think I got that book.

Jimmie in Ky

Femoral artery runs right alongside the bone. You should be able to locate it fairly easy from either end of the ham.  It will be on hte inside of the leg , about half the size of your little finger .To be honest this is hte first time i have heard of this method.

We always used a brine pump to get in around hte bone and dry cure.  And Darren Miller would laugh at me if I asked him to tell how they cure all those country hams htey sell all over the state. Hunted his place once, nice guy. Jimmie

pitw

I got pictures but I gotta show 'em later cause I'm just going to go try the tricks. :biggrin: :biggrin:

pitw

Okay guys if you don't want to learn anything about curing ham just go up to the right corner of this page where you'll find a little red box with an x in it. Click on it.  Those of you still here can learn what I did about the arteries now.  The artery and vein are easy to find once you know what you are looking for.
in this picture you see the rear end of a hog half.

Now you can see the artery and vein.  The artery is the whiter one so the darker one is the vein. 

You want to keep the artery long in front of where it branch's off so when you put your brine pump[syringe] in it will send fluid throughout the ham.  I tied them off where my only index finger is.

I found out[the hard way] that you want a dull needle to put in the artery to pump through[sharp one made holes that kinda/sorta screwed what I was attempting.  Also keep a steady pressure[not to high :doh2:] on the pump. 
  I'm not sure how much I got through the artery before I really screwed it but I believe half my brine necessary[I finished it off the old way of putting brine in with a longer needle in many places on the ham.

pitw

Another thing is if any of you guys run into one of these in excellent shape I'd pay for it and shipping.  This one is good but you can see the nicks :pout:.

msmith

Hey thanks for the pics Barry. I was quite interested in that myself. I have heard of artery pumping the brine but have very little experience in curing hams at all.

Ahhh, the 'ol scraper. I figger those are getting hard to come by. Most people I know just skin 'em out and don't use the lard. Kind of a waste I think.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

pitw

msmith  I've skinned one hog and that was enough to know I didn't want to do it again.  I think that is where the term "slipperier than a greased pig" came from.  Carrying and working without the hide was a [female dog].
  Also I think bacon without the rind is kinda/sorta like sex without a partner :shrug:.

Jimmie in Ky

Try the trapping supply companies for a scraper. I saw one a while back in a catologue. Just can't remember which catologue  :confused: Jimmie

HuntnCarve

msmith

Here ya go Barry.

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Kitchen___Home_Butchering___Butchering_Supplies___Hog_Scraper___HS?Args=

You could even have Bill or HaMeR pic 'em up and bring 'em to the LBL. They are pretty close to Lehman's.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

Jimmie in Ky

The one from Lehmans is what he is looking for. It's the bigger one of the two. Tey used to sell that size as a fleshing tool in hte trappers supply catologues. Jimmie

HaMeR

Barry-- As luck would have it I will be within a few miles of Lehmans tomorrow. If you want something let me know. I will ship it or bring it to LBL. Or you can try to order online in the AM. Your call. I will be driving within 5-10 minutes of that place for work & getting mileage so it's not a real big deal to go out of my way a couple miles.  :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:

I will check in here before I leave. I'm leaving at 8:15AM EST.  

It's already entered in my TomTom.  :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

pitw

You guys are too much :bowingsmilie:.  I coulda looked for months[I already looked for days] and never found it.
Glen I would be eternally grateful if you would pick up two for me.  If you bring them to the LBL I'd pick them up there.  Send me a geek payment plan and don't forget extra's.  Thanks guys and the wife is impressed :yahoo:.