• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

I've got a shot at becoming President.

Started by pitw, April 26, 2010, 07:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

Thanks to this board and CC I am going to become a peanut farmer  :biggrin:.  I already have the out of US birth certificate and I figure if I can grow peanuts too, I'll be a shoe in for a presidential candidate :alscalls: :alscalls:.
   Kinda funny that I never heard of boiling peanuts before last week :pout:, but Carl told me about them and is willing to send up some seed for me to see if I can actually get one to grow up here[could be a test as he says not to plant until the ground is 65F :shock2:] in our much cooler clime but I'm hoping our longer daylight hours make up for some of the other drawbacks like cool, dry, windy and soil conditions :wo:
   Who else has cooked peanuts this way?
I say what I think not think what I say.

Hawks Feather

Never done the peanut thing, but ate a LOT of them.

As for being President, just wait a few months and you won't need your "out of US birth certificate".  obama is trying to get his immigration bill on the fast track and with that anyone that is in the US (or probably even can spell US) will become a citizen.  The best part is you can still have your family in Canada and since you don't have a job in the US will be able to get free everything.   As I was entering this a thought came to my mind that you might not get all of that.  After all, you are white.

Jerry

Yotehntr

Been a while but always liked boiled peanuts.... little high on the salt side for me now though.  :wink:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Carolina Coyote

Barry, The seed is on the way, put them in the mail this morning, the last Peanut Farmer we had for President did a lousy job but I do believe you can do better, so I'm counting on you. If these peanuts work out and you get all those Canadians hooked on Boiled Peanuts we will plant a big patch next year and Market them in Canada as Canuck Goobers.  :innocentwhistle: cc

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

I'm lost s to what boiling them would do. :confused:
Do you shell them first?

And as far as Barry being President.....Ohhhhhh mannnn!.... in this Fn Country??
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Jimmie in Ky

If you plant after teh soil warms to sixty degrees they should do fine. They require a bit more p and K than N for fertilazer in my opinion. At least that has been my experience so far. With longer day length they may do quite well up there since many other veggies reach record weights in all the sunshine they have further north of you. It may very well be enough to outweigh the temps we grow them in.

They are a legume as well. They also require hilling like potatoes. That sandy soil you have might be a lot better than the clay we grow them in . Jimmie

Okanagan

It will be interesting to see if you can grow a crop.

When I was a kid I grew a bumper crop of peanuts in eastern Washington State one summer.  We had cold winters in desert dry conditions, but hot summers and we irrigated.  The tops look like alfalfa and each plant grew a great big bunch of peanuts underground.  Being on a farm, our idea of a garden was an acre or two and I put maybe a third to half an acre into two kinds of peanuts:  some kind of big ones and several rows of a smaller Spanish peanut that tasted a little better.  We roasted a bunch of them and fed most to our cows.

It was really sandy soil, actually volcanic ash though I didn't know that at the time.   I'd always wondered what volcanic ash was and then after Mt. St. Helens erupted, I realized it was our normal soil.

pitw

I have no idea what boiling a peanut will do to it :doh2:.  That's where this all started at, Carl telling me he liked boiled peanuts fresh from the ground :shrug:.  Being a gullible goat I figured I could try it cause they at least sound kinda/sorta mild compared to everything else that comes from down south that has a tendency to burn your tonsils off :pout:.  Takes a poor teacher to tell others to try something and not do it himself :eyebrow:..

pitw

Carl the wife is happy with you cause this peanut debacle got me out in the gardens with my 35 Massey with no complaining :shrug:.

One of the three gardens I worked up yesterday and yes I had help. :innocentwhistle:

Notice that the redness is gone :readthis:.  Could be because I took Jim's advice and hired a good looking chick to rub the lotion on the ol' ring gear :innocentwhistle:

Carolina Coyote

There are so many things you can do with Peanuts, the foliage makes great Hay, the Farmers can bale the vines  after harvest of the nuts and sell it to cattle farms for a higher price than any other hay grown around here, very nutritious  and the cows love it, after picking the peanuts off the vines I carry  the vines to a friend who has cows and they run across the pasture to get to the vines, all wildlife love them even Coyotes and we love for the Farmers to plant them on the Wanderosia, I plant just about a 1/10 of an acre each year just for Boiling them for my family and friends, for those of you that are not familiar with Boiled peanuts they are best when fresh for boiling, pull them off the vine, wash, put in pot with water and salt and Boil for about 20 minutes and soak in the brine until they take up the salt to your taste.  I do not like Peanuts that have dried and then boiled, I only eat them when in season something to look forward to every year.  :eyebrownod:  Nothing better than sitting on a Deer stand and eating Boiled Peanuts.  :yoyo: They do better in loamy sandy soil and makes them easy to harvest but will grow in just about any kind of soil if PH is right above 6.5.   CC

pitw

I didn't think you could confuse me much more but you done did it Carl :confused:.    You saying these peanuts don't get soft so you can mash them like a spud  :shrug:.  I was kinda/sorta thinking along the lines of porridge[you know the stuff bears and blondes eat] :innocentwhistle:.   I can foresee a problem with the 60F+ ground temperature as our air temperature won't hit that for a couple weeks. :sad:

Carolina Coyote

Pitw, You boil  Peanuts while still in the hull, and so you don't get confused shell them after cooking "don't eat the Hull" would not hurt you if you did but just eat the nut inside the hull. When my peanuts come in if I am lucky enough to make some good one's I will make a movie of my BIL eating them he looks like a combine spitting out hulls.  :laf:  I will try to keep you posted as I progress with my crop. The temp of above 60 degrees is idea but above 50 will work just may slow them down a little just like with your spraying on frosty morning most plants don't grow well in cold weather, peanuts like warm weather and a frost will wipe them out. I do not plant until after the first week in May so it is a couple of weeks before I plant. Carl

pitw

Hey this is too cool eh :biggrin:.   Do peanuts "fix" nitrogen like an alfala plant :shrug:?  Does the boiling soften up the nut or is it still a hard unit after boiling. :confused:   Wilma is even thinking of the feed use of the plants now :eyebrow:.  How do you seed a 1/10th acre cause if my math is right using 2 foot row spacings and 6 inch's between seeds in a row, that comes out to 4,224 seeds[or a [L] of a lot of bends]  :whew:.

markTNhunter

boiled peanuts are great, and buy the way that turkey is lookin better

HaMeR

Quotejust eat the nut inside the hull.

I think he means for the nut OUTSIDE of the hull to eat the nut on the INSIDE of the hull Barry. I might be wrong but I don't think so this time.  :nono: :nono:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

alscalls

One nut growing more nuts..............  :laf: :laf:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Carolina Coyote

You guys HaMer  :nono: Jimbo What boiling does to the peanut (It cooks it)  and the salt gives them a great taste, goes good with cold 6 pack :yoyo: :eyebrownod: Pitw when you pull the peanut from the ground the nut is still green as like peas would be when you pick them and when you cook them you could mash them like potatoes after you shell them but that's not the way to eat them, simply eat them as you shell them and I like mine to be a little crunchy not mushy. The plants  are similar to Alfalfa as both are legume, I experiment a little every year with different things on fertilizer and row spacing and Rows need to be 36 inches, so the plant can spread out and get more sunshine also as the plant spreads out it allows the runners to lay down on the ground and put out more pegs (More Peanuts)  I used 24 inch rows last year and they did OK but I like 36 inch Better. To plant about 1/10 acre I use about 10 pounds of seed last year but only bought 8 pounds this year so far as I will be using the 36 inch row and I plant by hand as the seed I use are fairly big and I don't have a plate for my planter to plant them. I only sent enough seed to plant maybe one row for you to try this year but if you want more I can send. Since Peanut is about the only thing I plant anymore I stagger the planting out over about 15 to 20 days so they all don't mature at the same time. The pictures of your garden area looks great and that soil should grow some nice peanuts, your area is about the size I plant. I still think that Turkey sat down on a firecracker. cc

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers