• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

I've got a shot at becoming President.

Started by pitw, April 26, 2010, 07:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

CC - Do ya think that peanuts would make it out here, plenty of sun and no frost.  Would have to add plenty of mulch to the soil and also water on a regular basis.  However the soil is rich and everything is lush - during our sixty day (+/-) monsoon season.  
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

HuntnCarve

Holy Smokes Carl!  That's a load of peanuts!   :congrats:

FinsnFur

Thats a load, a full load! :yoyo:
You plan on the game going into overtime? :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Carolina Coyote

Mr.JohnP, I think Peanuts  would love Arizona, as long as you can put the water to them, The variety I plant requires 120 days to mature. If you have rich loamy soil is ideal, my regular garden spot I have added lots of humus and the ground is soft and when the plants are mature you can pull them up by hand but where I planted them this year with no rain for the last 6 or 7 weeks the ground is as hard as a rock, I believe you could cut bricks out of it. I tried some new things this year and learned a lot on what I will do next year. If the ground had been soft I think we would have made 4 times as many peanuts.
Gametime Saturday I will be enjoying these peanuts along with some of my Family and friends, The Gamecocks will be playing Auburn so it should be a very good game. cc

pitw

Holy [L]  :shock2:.  You got back more than you seeded :confused:.   I can't wait for the day I get one goober let alone a pail full's.  Let me see how the boiling kinda/sorta goes if'n you don't mind as someday I hope to copy it.   Great job Carl and I'm thinking Wilma will enjoy these pics too :yoyo:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Carolina Coyote

Thanks for the compliments Barry, After the rain the last two days we were able to pull the rest of the Peanuts up by hand today, made some more pictures but will also make some during the boiling precess and will post them for you then. I enjoyed watching them grow this year but I am happy to have them all out of the ground and Thankful of the good crop we made. cc

Carolina Coyote

The last Harvest went pretty well with help from a couple of my BIL's and SIL's and Spanky, the rest of the patch was pulled by hand as the rain Sunday and Monday the ground was soft enough to allow pulling them up rather than having to dig them with the Bobcat, I have attached a few pictures to show the results.

Spanky gleaning the patch:

Brother in law cleaning up the vines and putting on the mulch pile:

What we picked off the vines:

The process of washing them, from one bucket to the other several times to remove as much dirt as possible and to cull out any bad ones.

And then into the house for more washing and culling:

Then put into the pot for boiling:

Add salt, The amount of salt depends on the amount of peanuts to be boiled and how salty you want them, on this pot you can see the salt added, may be 4 table spoons or more.

Add water, The peanuts will soak up quite a bit of water so make sure to add plenty of water:

Stir in salt and apply heat:

Bring water to boil and reduce heat to prevent pot from boiling over:

Put lid on pot and let boil  30 to 45 minutes. Some people may want to boil longer or less but this time works for us. Then let them soak until they sink in the water, check for taste if not salty enough add more salt, if taste is OK pour off brine and eat. Shell and eat as a snack, discard hulls.

Ready to eat:

Hope this is of some help to Barry. cc

Ready to

coyote101

I've never been crazy about boiled peanuts, but those sure look good. Thanks for the lesson Carl.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

That looks and sounds REAL good. :eyebrow:
So how are peanuts you buy in the store prepared? Are they all boiled?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

pitw

Quote from: coyote101 on September 29, 2010, 04:55:59 PM
I've never been crazy about boiled peanuts,

You notice he never said he wasn't crazy period :readthis:.

Yotehntr

CC  that brought back some great memories for me!  My dads side of the family is in GA ... That was the snack to be had at the family reunions!   :yoyo:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Carolina Coyote

There are lots of ways to fix Peanuts, Boiling them to me are only good when they are still green or (new crop) and that could be the reason lots of people do not like Boiled peanuts as most of the roadside stands that sell them will use dried peanuts and I don't like them myself, but fresh out of the garden they are excellent if properly prepared, wish you guys was close enough so that I could share with you. cc

coyote101

Quote from: Carolina Coyote on September 30, 2010, 07:53:36 AM
, wish you guys was close enough so that I could share with you. cc

I'm going to be in the Clemson, Seneca area for several days in October. If that is close to you, maybe I cna take you up on your offer.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

pitw

CC, Wilma just read the last post with pictures and said, "I sure would like to try that".  Translated it means can you send up another batch of peanuts for us to try on a different year where the growing season may be longer?  Even the crops up here didn't all get to maturity this year because of the terrible late start and cool season we had.  I went through our seed booklets and peanuts just aren't a big enough seller up here for them to bother.  Wife says we can loosen the purse strings enough to pay for more seed and shipping :yahoo:. Also some of them cotton seeds you have talked about would be great cause I can see profit in the weevils. :eyebrow:.

Carolina Coyote

Barry I for sure will send more seed next year, maybe several varieties so you can experiment and see if one works better than the other, The Cotton seed I will also send,and some Okra seed. Sorry that they did not make this year for I am sure you would have enjoyed harvesting them. Let me know about how many you want to plant figuring for about 1/2 pound for 100 feet row. I will see if the place where I buy my seed has any left over and will get them on their way, if not may have to wait until spring to get seed. cc

pitw

Geez Carl your generous :bowingsmilie:.  I only need enough for to say I got to try them.  I would think a fifty foot row would do the trick :wink:.  The cotton I just want to see as a plant cause I no nothing about it other than it makes great t shirts :iroll:.  What the [L] is Okra :shrug:, sounds like something the indians used to color stuff :confused:.  I appreciate it all and Wilma already said,"Cool and tell Carl thanks".  She is in love with the fertilizer and is looking for more and I'm sure she'll find it.

Carolina Coyote

Barry, The Sea Magic comes from a company in Winnipeg,MB Canada, ( WWW.bonadeagardens.com ))They will not sale to you directly but if you send them a email they will tell you where you can buy it that is near to your location. OKRA ?  :laf:  :laf:  :laf: I will send some seed and let you try to grow some, Its a vegetable. If Wilma cannot locate the The Sea Magic I can send some more of it also. cc

vvarmitr

Don't know what okra is?

Guess Carl has the same hobby as Brad.
Going into your pit to shed some light!  :huh:
:laf:

Carolina Coyote

A little update on the Cotton Fields, This might be the only Cotton that Barry has ever seen in the field.

The next time down the leaves may be off and I will take more pictures, the farmer was a little late planting cotton on our place and its not quite ready to spray the defoliate, but they are picking cotton on other farms now.

FinsnFur

Why you cotton picker you :alscalls:

:doh2: It was begging to be said.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers