• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

I've got a shot at becoming President.

Started by pitw, April 26, 2010, 07:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

I been a mite busy so my good wife has stepped up to the plate in hopes of making me president[I'm thinking she has ulterior motive].  She got the peanuts in the ground for the first planting for me.

Ground prepped.

Long row hoed.

Kelp fertilizer in place.  With peanuts on top.

Done

Tools of the trade.
I say what I think not think what I say.

HuntnCarve

I think Wilma will get the vote instead of you?  LOL!  Nice job Wilma!  Be curious to see how those peanuts prosper up in that climate?

alscalls

As Ol Jimmy Carter would say..........   :biggrin:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

pitw

Quote from: FinsnFur on May 24, 2010, 05:18:04 AM
What's kelp fertilizer?

I'm not sure  :doh2:.  Carl sent it up with the peanuts so he better chime in here. :laf:

Carolina Coyote

Kudos to Wilma, it looks like she is an expert gardener and Thanks for posting pictures of your progress and all of your high tech equipment, very similar to mine. The Kelp is seaweed that is taken from the cold waters of the Arctic and they use a special process to freeze dry and then package it. A natural fertilizer that activates the bacterial in the soil and promotes good plant growth and help to prevent disease in the plant., you can also spray it on the foliage . I will post more info about it later, right now I am going out to Plant Peanuts. Barry tell Wilma I am very impressed with her Garden, it looks great and can't wait to see more as it progresses. CC

Carolina Coyote

Here is a little info on Kelp, it does not stink as Al said, I started using this stuff last year and was impressed with the results, this year I soaked my Peanut seed in the mixture overnight before planting and on the 10 day they were coming out of the ground and the plants have a dark green texture, I'm not a salesman for this material just passing along my experience with it. I am hoping it will push the plant growth for Barry on his experiment and help for his peanuts to mature before he has a frost.  :eyebrownod:  cc

The Best Seaweed for ALL Your Plants!
Contains cytokinins and 17 amino acids to encourage stronger, lusher growth, more sugars production in fruiting crops, and increased blooms!
We've all been hearing great things about the uses of seaweed as a plant growth stimulant, and we've tested lots of products to find out how they really measure up. Well, far and away the best -- hands down, barring none -- is Sea Magic, a seaweed concentrate suitable for use on all your garden plants!

This dry seaweed is just amazing. It doesn't just encourage plants to grow -- it shoots them up, increasing root production and strength so that they not only gain in size and bloom, but develop a healthy root system to maintain that increased growth all season long! They grow greener, lusher, and more resistant to pests and diseases. In combination with an all-purpose fertilizer, Sea Magic is unparalleled!

Entirely organic, this seaweed concentrate works wonders on flowering ornamentals, foliage plants, houseplants, shrubs -- you name it, Sea Magic will help it! It is a seaweed called Ascophyllum nodosum, harvested from the cold, clean water of the northern Atlantic Ocean, off the coast of Canada. Unlike fish emulsion, it doesn't stink (let's be frank about that!), and it's great at preventing leaf decay and stimulating foliage production when sprayed directly onto the leaves. It hastens the absorption of nitrates, potassium, and calcium -- minerals plants need to flourish, and it actually makes them more drought resistant. Very effective against Botrytis in strawberries and damping off in Tomatoes, it also superb on lawns and ornamental grasses.

Here are some specific results observed by Dr. T.L. Senn, a Clemson University seaweed expert:

Fruits and vegetables literally taste better, due to increased levels of BRIX (fruit sugar content)

Roses produced 23 percent more blooms, Carnations 13 percent more

Vegetable and fruit crops are more prolific: 77 percent more apples, 47 percent more peppers, 24 percent more tomatoes

Insect damage is minimized -- 89 percent reduction in red mites, 77 percent reduction in leaf hoppers

Each 30-gram pouch produces 250 quarts of solution. It is a growth enhancer containing 17 key amino acids and cytokinins, which absorb into plant cells and increase their productivity and strength. Use it in conjunction with a fertilizer for best results. You just won't believe the power of this terrific seaweed!

pitw

Do peanut's push the seed up out of the ground when they emerge :shrug:.  Got two peanuts out of the ground attached to something :huh:.  I'm worse than when we had the first child and the wife is thinking of getting the certification papers done :puke:.

Silencer

curious what you got comin up ?  I've never seen a peanut plant.

Carolina Coyote

I will post some pictures next week, I'm getting ready to leave for the week end right now. Barry and I have been sending each other E-mails about our progress and I will put some of that info on here for you guys that are not familiar with growing peanuts. cc

pitw

Vic I ain't seen one either :wink:.  I think that's about to change how ever :biggrin:. I'll find my gum boots and take a pic of the peanut seed that is out of the ground when I wake up. :iroll:.

Carolina Coyote

These Pictures were taken about 10 days after planting, we have had good weather here for peanuts so far.

FinsnFur

Two nuts sticking out attached to something? :alscalls: :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Not being much of a peanut farmer[which will probably make me a great president :innocentwhistle:] I am looking at the row of peanuts more often than I checked on my wife while she was expecting :whew:.  I found three of these guys on top of the ground.

CCP told me to quit burying them :doh2:.

I hope, I hope with all my might that this may be the first peanut out of the ground tonight.

I was thinking this might be but after studying Carls pics I pulled it.

Jimmie in Ky

If it doesn't look like a legume , pull it . Peanuts are legumes. That should help you identify what is coming up. Jimmie

pitw

Peanuts are nut's  :laf: :laf:.  They push their dang seed out of the ground like they could pull it back if there was still snow up there :nono:.  Thanks Jimmie :bowingsmilie:.

Carolina Coyote

Barry,The peanut will sometimes after sprouting will push the nut up out of the ground , nothing to worry about except the Crows will sometimes come along and start eating them, I was lucky this year loss very few to Crows, the cool weather will slow them down but soon as it heats up they will start popping out of the ground. I was down in Georgia this weekend and they were still planting peanuts, soon as they get big enough to see them good I will take pictures of a big field to show you where all the peanut butter comes from. Where you live you may not have ever seen Cotton growing either so will send some pictures of cotton fields, but the pickers now days are usually reed or green. cc

Carolina Coyote

A little update on the Peanut patch,I applied Gypsum yesterday as I saw a couple of blooms, so far this week it has rained every evening and chances of rain for the next week, I started planting on May the 12th and made the last planting on May the 24th, attached are a few pictures to show progress.

pitw

Wow :bowingsmilie:.  We got two that showed leaves today :yahoo:
Gypsum :confused:.  We use that as wall board up here and now you are telling me to throw some dry wall on the peanuts :shrug:.  Weird what I learn on here but hey I'm the one with the shot at becoming president :laf:.