• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

I've got a shot at becoming President.

Started by pitw, April 26, 2010, 07:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolina Coyote

Barry, Glad to hear that you have some putting on leaves, :congrats: When they start blooming is when they are beginning to put on peanuts and thats when I put the gypsum on, very important to put the gypsum as it makes the nut in the hull otherwise you may have hull with no nut in them,  :readthis: I'm serious ! It has been in the 90's all week here and rained everyday but today, hot & humid just what peanuts like. Hope you get a good stand on your crop,

pitw

Well it's sprinkling here again this morning so I have some time to post a few pictures of the presidential race :innocentwhistle:.  Carl's peanuts seem to have a mite of a head start on mine but hey he was born in the USA so I don't consider him much of a contender for the top job :laf:.   This is such a cool project we got going and even my neighbors are learning something.  Most think peanuts grow on a bush :doh2:
Bobby got the last peanuts in the ground two weeks ago.

He even managed to get some pointers from an expert :readthis:

The first ones that have been hiding in the ground since the snow finally decided to play peekaboo.

These are the strangest things I've seen grow :confused:.  They push their seed out of the ground and then it falls into the two halves and look like you could eat what is left behind :shrug:.  Only part missing is the little tit on the end. 

The gypsum thingy is going to be a mite tough and I need to know just how much I need for two rows that are 50' and 100' long :shrug:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Who's running for president in your campaign? You or Bobby? :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Carolina Coyote

Barry, I put about 20 lbs on a hundred foot row, put it right on top of the plants, peanuts will make in the top 2 or 3 inches of the soil so when it rains or watered the gypsum will get to where its needed. That ground looks pretty hard the way its cracking so if you put more gypsum it will help soften the ground and make the peanut easier to harvest. The gypsum will not burn the plant. The hard crust on the ground is making it difficult  for the peanuts  to come up but they are pretty hardie and should make if the temperature stays warm enough, If you haven't put any fertilizer you might side dress with a little 10-10-10 ( 10- 15 lbs)or water in some Miracle Grow. Grab a hoe and help that boy. cc

pitw

Quote from: FinsnFur on June 19, 2010, 01:17:43 PM
Who's running for president in your campaign? You or Bobby? :laf:

Me you goof  :doh2:.  You ever had a president who actually did something himself :shrug:.  Designate is the way to go[or grow] :innocentwhistle:

CC, I have now designated the wife to find some gypsum and trust me I think I can find the fertilizer as I spray it out by the tanker truck loads.  I do thank you  :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: for helping walk me through this process and Bobby is learning right along with Ma and I[Donny is wanting to see about the cotton you mentioned as we ain't seen that either].

Carolina Coyote

Morning Barry, Glad to see your family enthusiasm for the Peanuts and getting them involved in growing them, this has been a pleasant experience for me and I just hope and pray that you will be able to harvest them this fall. I have never used the liquid Gypsum but it is available in liquid form. The garden area in the recent pictures look like a different location than the original pictures, is that Alfalfa in the field behind the garden. This year was the first time I had tried to put mulch ( Wheat Straw )around the Peanuts but so far it seems to be working to help retain moisture around the plants, with all that Alfalfa up there you might try using some of it for mulch, for sure it will not hurt the peanuts and help to shade out some weeds and there is a spray that you can use to kill the weeds that come up, can't remember the name right now but will send that info later.

Maybe I can send up a few cotton seed for you to try next year and we will make a Cotton Picker out of you.
Carl

Carolina Coyote

Another little update on the Peanut Patch, started my irrigation system today, real high tech computer designed by J. A. Pan. Kind of like the rest of my equipment.  :biggrin:

The Pumping station.

The distribution system.

The hydro pressure system.

Making them peanut happy. :laf:

pitw

Bob just came in from watering our peanuts which by the way seemed to all come up at once today.  Temperature hit 82F and I'm freaking melting :puke:.  I love your high tech system that Mr. Pan built :innocentwhistle:.  We also gave them a shot of 28-0-0 today[cause that is what I had on hand]. 

Carolina Coyote

The temperature here today got up to 96 degrees and is pretty much suppose to stay that way for the rest of the week, rough on me but just the kind of weather to grow peanuts, with the 82 degrees there should get the peanuts to start growing good, give Bob a pat on the back for me sounds like he's going to be the main Peanut man. Careful with the 28-0-0  don't burn them.  cc

Jimmie in Ky

82 Degrees and he's melting  :rolleye:  We could render him plumb out down here at 96 and a heat index of 105.
I am on my third shirt
The other two floated away  :eyebrownod:
My sweetcorn is shriveling up and hte cucumbers are wilting. Need some water  :innocentwhistle:

And white bass are in the jumps on the lakes. Makes me wish I had a boat bigger than my puddle jumper. Jimmie

pitw

Quote from: Jimmie in Ky on June 21, 2010, 10:40:09 PM
And white bass are in the jumps on the lakes. Makes me wish I had a boat bigger than my puddle jumper. Jimmie

Which begs the question,  has anyone ever built a raft or other water vehicle out of peanut's? :shrug:  I mean they repel water and are hollow :wo:.

Jimmie in Ky

No , but I saw an island made from plastic bottles on the tube yesterday if that counts  :wink: Man hade built a house on it and even had him a kiddy pool for his ducks  :biggrin: Jimmie

pitw

The wife found some gypsum we can get :yoyo:.  It;s in a spray bottle of 946 milliliters for $24.95 :shrug:.

pitw

I thought I better show this to CC and the rest of you can look if you want :wo:.  The wife came home today from town and said, "Guess what I found for you in town".  So of course seeing as like twenty questions so much, I came up with, "a blonde with a pair of 45's and some guns too". Slap  :doh2:.  "A brunette that makes nymphomania look like it belongs in a convent?"  Slap, slap :doh2: :doh2:. "A new beauty shop that can do miracles?".  :finger: ;yes;.
  Turns out that I found this on the deck.

Is that the right stuff to use Carl?  When do I put it on?  Why isn't there more info on growing a nut in Canada[seems to be all kind of literature on it in the States :innocentwhistle:].

Figured I'd show the rest of the garden's too while I was at it.
Peanuts.

Spuds.

Onions, carrots, beats, colorabi and turnips :puke:.

Cucumbers.

Celery and tomatoes.

Peas.

Beans and sunflowers.

The other garden has a bit in it too. :innocentwhistle:
Peas.

Rhubarb.

Another experiment.  Grapes.

Corn.

Straw berries.

With raspberries.

Halfway pic.

Whole way[not quite showing Carl my watering system for this garden].

Wifes little flower spot.

And last but not least the fruits of my labor during the twenty question period of the day :biggrin:.

FinsnFur

LOL, man you guys grow everything, well everything except bottled Coca Cola. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bills Custom Calls

Looks like a lot of garden

Whats holding your grape vines up
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

pitw

Bills Custom Calls

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Carolina Coyote

Hey Barry, Love your garden,  :bowingsmilie: The gypsum is right on and glad you found it, apply when plants start to bloom usually about a month after they come up, the blooms indicate that the plants are putting on peanuts, even if you put it on before blooms is OK I think, I apply by hand right on top of the row the gypsum will not burn the plants and will soften the soil and make harvesting easier when pulling the plants out of the ground the peanuts will cling to the vine. Don't water the peanuts two weeks before harvest except maybe the day before harvest if soil is hard, the reason is when mature they will start to germinate if to much moisture is present.
The date on the pictures shows 02/07/2010, is that correct ? :confused: The soil in your garden looks very fertile, never seen Corn rows that close,  :confused:. You do have a wide variety veggies planted some that will not grow here, glad you gave us the tour of your garden. cc

pitw

I took the pictures yesterday Carl.  I have no idea what all the buttons on a geek toy are for so I ain't changing the date but maybe I could hire a geek to figure it out :shrug:.  Our soil is the best in this area and I made sure before I bought the 1/4 by farming it for the owner :wink:.  I'll be applying the gypsum at the first sign of a flower.  Thanks for the compliment as well and I'd take all the credit except for the fact that you all know I'm a lazy man :doh2:.  I'm a smart man though cause I married a woman who isn't lazy :biggrin:.  She takes great pride in feeding the family with our own produce and the lads learn that a poor job of weeding only gains them another day of weeding :laf: :laf: