• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

I'm Copenhagen free

Started by FinsnFur, September 15, 2010, 05:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

The end of today will be 5 days without Copenhagen for me. I'm not sure if it's the still before the storm or not, but it seems to be getting a little easier to cope with already.

The first couple days was like a wild ride. I actually felt disorientated or dizzy like. Man that was weird.
I dont really have the strong urges anymore, but I'm wondering what stage I'm at. You guys that have done this, how long before I'm out of the woods?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Yotehntr

Not sure what you mean by "out of the woods"?  You'll never be able to take just one dip... I fell for that a few times before... just have to decide to never touch it again.  I used that Chantix stuff this time... I think "cold turkey" is the best way to go if you can do it. There are withdrawls from the chantix that I've never heard mentioned... not as strong but over a longer period of time.   I always thought if you could go 3 days you have it beat.  I chew the "smokey mtn" candy stuff still... at least there's no nicotine.   :yoyo:  Congrats Jim!!!  :yoyo:   Hang in there and never go back.  :wink:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

HaMeR

Not sure you're clean & green yet either Jim but you sure got a heckuva good start!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:  I've been alcohol free for just over 20yrs now & I never have any cravings anymore but one never knows what life will hit them with or how they will respond. I just try to stay bigger than the alcohol. Keep in mind that stuff can't jump out of the can & sidle betwixt your cheek & gum. You gotta put it there & I think you can beat this no matter what & I look forward to reading this post 360 days from now!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Good Luck & don't let the little shit bother ya none!!  :nono: :nono:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Bills Custom Calls

Congrats on #5

You will need to be very strong willed from here on out get yourself some kinda mint hard tack candy you may find it useful

When I quit smoking several years back it was a slow process for me but I went from a 2 pack aday and just slowly weened myself off them I had no with drawls and it didn't even bother me to be around other folks when they smoked
I was nicotine free for 10 weeks or a bit longer
Not sure what happened anymore but I do remember someone set my temper off and there were smokes very close and I just grabbed one and lit out of habit and been smoking ever since

Don't ever think that just a pinch won't hurt ya now

Good luck on your venture I will be rooting for ya  :yoyo:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

JohnP

Jim that is great news.  But like Brad and Todd said your never out of the woods.  Ya just got to be a bit stronger than that little bitty can.  Haven't had a cigarette/cigar in over thirty years and at times I still want a good cigar.  No Redman in about twenty years and I still have a strong desire for a chew, especially during hunting season.  Keep up the good fight we all know that your stronger than that little bitty can.

HaMeR :congrats:
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

FinsnFur

Everything I've read says one dip has the equivalence of three to four cigarettes . Holy crap.

I do have a can setting here in case I cave in. But having it at arms reach makes it easier for me to deal with. If there was none in the house, I'd just freak out and go buy one. I havent touched it, yet....dont plan to, but I need to be able to see it.

I forgot to mention. I must admit I'm a little amazed at the strength of the grip this stuff gets on ya. Those first couple nights beside the disorientation feeling, I was going through some really wierd spasms as I tried to go to sleep. Either my head would snap from side to side once in a while, or one arm would come up towards my chest real fast as if swatting a fly on my shirt, and then go back down to my side. WEIRD! :huh:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

vvarmitr

Good for you Jimbo!  :congrats:
Keep at it.  :wink:

Bopeye

I quit chew 3 years ago July. Last October I was just playing around and smelled a can of snuff a friend had with him. Took a little pinch and put it in my mouth. Been back at it ever since. I really hope you beat it Jimbo.  :congrats:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

vayotehowler

dt's causes the dizziness, it is the delirium tremors, witdraw form the nicotine . I know it well it makes u feel like u cant think straight and put thoughts together. the truth is like alcoholic one drink and u back on the train again jsut have to not look back, mint snuff is not that bad and keep telling yourself there was a point in life where u functioned without it . and keep going , proud of ya . I am about to have this fight myself jsut have to resolve to do it. already quit smoking and been down this road before. support system is here if u need encouragement. I went to the dr for chantix and went off and told dr it made me not be able to do anything but work and lay on the couch. this is before all the wanings . b careful if using it

Hawks Feather

Jim,

Congratulations on the start and good luck on continuing. 

Jerry

KySongDog

The only way to quit is to............QUIT!   Tell yourself never again, not even once.   

I've never smoked or chewed but I sure did love my Budweiser.   Been on the wagon almost 5 years.  I like myself a lot better now. 

Good luck Jim! 

shaddragger

WTG Jim!! But get that " just in case" can away from there! Way too convenient when temptation comes calling! My doc gave me Welbutrin but what helped me quit smoking was my daughter. I made a promise to her and I couldn't look her in the eye if I went back to the death sticks. I needed that threat of repercussion in the back of my mind to stay on the straight and narrow. Plus with my allergies every runny nose seemed like suffocation. Don't give up big guy! You can win this fight one day at a time, one hour at a time if need be!

P.S. I wish I could tell you how long it would be before you are cured, but I could pick up a smoke today and I know I would be right back after them and that was 6 years ago I think.
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

alscalls

Good luck Jimbo!!!   never cave......... not even once........
I once quit smoking for almost two years...........till I caved and had just one..........been a pack a day ever since......... :madd:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

I'm not even considering any prescription helpers yet. I've heard too many bad things about those.
The last time I tried this I caved at three days, but a buddy was quitting with me, and he broke too. His theory was, at least he cut back, and he was only having one dip. :iroll:

So I've already got the mind state that there's not going to be any sneaking, sampling, or sniffing. I just wanna be done.
Thanks for the support by the way guys. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

vayotehowler

u can do it . everyone is right that 1st taste gets u right back to where u were in the beginning and usually worse.

coyotehunter_1

QuoteSo I've already got the mind state that there's not going to be any sneaking, sampling, or sniffing. I just wanna be done.

Mr. Jim... you are on the right track, you've got to set your mind to the fact that you want to quit.

I know where you are coming from, my friend. I'm 54 years old, chewed/dipped for over 25 years. In early March, this year, I took my last dip of Cope. It wasn't easy to give up cold turkey, but I had made up my mind.The first week was pure "L" as Barry says. As days turned to weeks and weeks into months it has gotten easier but I still get a crave from time to time but I ain't back tracking now. I'm tobacco free.
As an extra incentive to quit you may want to consider doing what I am doing... take the money you would normally spend on Cope each day, set it aside. Set a goal... $500...$1000 or whatever, it helps.  Keep adding to it and pretty soon your "no-cope savings account" will grow to the point where you can treat yourself to something special, a new "old" gun for example. 

Get your mind right and full steam ahead!!!  :wink:   
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

bigben

good for you jim.  hope ya can knock the habit.  Ima pullin for ya.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

KySongDog

"You ain't gonna backslide on me are yuh?  You sure your mind's right? "   Boss Godfrey - Cool Hand Luke

pitw

Quote from: Semp on September 17, 2010, 06:15:23 AM
"You ain't gonna backslide on me are yuh?  You sure your mind's right? "   Boss Godfrey - Cool Hand Luke

I'm starting to understand how actors get to play politics down South  :innocentwhistle:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

No backsliding :nono: Today will be a week.
I should have a big ole dip just to celebrate that :alscalls: :nono:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers