• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Back from Africa

Started by FOsteology, July 10, 2011, 11:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOsteology

The setting sun blazed through the Zimbabwean bush like a forest fire, hot yellow, orange, and red in the sweltering evening that gathered over the bush camp. The kopjes along the bush camp rose like giant blunt granite teeth, framed against the darkening sky.

Several dusty lapas circled a beaten area shaded by a grove of old musasa trees, their branches spreading like emerald umbrellas over the safari camp. A thread of smoke from a camp fire twisted up through the cover, carrying with it the tantalizing scent of burning mopane wood and roasting impala.

In the shade of the central tree, a lone figure, a man tough as old boot leather, was crouched over the fire stoking it with a stick. Upon my approach he looked up expectantly and uttered with a smile that extended to his eyes, "Are you ready to kill a cat?" 

The entire night was spent tracking a mature and extremely crafty Tom. By the next morning, Ingwe's luck had run out.....

coyotehunter_1

FOs, a couple of things...

1st: I want to welcome you back home!  :thumb2:
2nd: Glad you had a great time/hunt!  :congrats:
3rd: That's the worse case of pudytat measles I've ever seen. :huh:

:biggrin:  :congrats: on the cat
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

FinsnFur

Geez, that was some description :laf: I had to read it twice cause the first time I got swept away. :congrats:

Thats cat is just awesome :yoyo: Wow! Nice, very nice!
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Roundman

Wow! I'm with Jim on that one. I thought I was reading a magazine. I don't know what to say other than you are one lucky man. You are getting to hunt things we can only dream about. Great job.  :congrats:

KySongDog

Very nice!  Congrats on the cat.  Nice write up too.   I'll bet hunting big cats in the dark can get the 'ol heart to thumpin'.   ;yes;

coyote101

Good to have you back. Great write up, I'm anxious to hear more about the big adventure you shared with your son.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Okanagan

Wow!  What a cat!  Yes, give us more details of that hunt, the tracking, etc. 

HuntnCarve

What an Entrance!!! :highclap:
Welcome back Fos, and congrats on a beautiful Tom!  He sure will make a nice rug.  Can't wait to hear all the adventures.

Dave

Frogman

Wow!  That's awesome!!  More pictures and stories please!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

riverboss

Congrats on a nice cat looks like you had a great time.   :yoyo:

CCP

QuoteWow!  That's awesome!!  More pictures and stories please!

+ 1
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

HaMeR

Welcome Back FOs!! Congratulations on a beautiful cat!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FOsteology

Much obliged everyone.

Made it back home Saturday afternoon..... with jet lag, need for sleep and a handful or work related issues needing attention, you'll understand it'll be a few days before I can sort through the additional pictures from our trip. Son and I hunted both RSA and Zim.

In short, the leopard hunt was scheduled for 10 days in Zimbabwe. PH and I were sweating it as we had absolutely NO luck until approx. 11pm on day seven.

We cut his track, and the pursuit was on. Not able to catch up and close the gap until sunrise. A little after 9am we had him treed. A shot wasn't presentable as several branches in the way of his vitals. Missed him completely!

Fortunately he stayed in the tree, and stood up and moved a little further out on the limb. Only shot I had was his neck.... and it was obvious he was contemplating a run for it.

.308 Win shooting Federal HE 180gr. NP hit him in the neck, and exited his cranium. Dead before he hit the ground. Taxidermist will have a challenge gluing the rear portion of his skull back together.

Hidehunter

WOW thats awesome!!  :yoyo:  :yoyo:
Denver                                           

bigben

sounds like a hunt of a lifetime fos.  Nice looking kitty as well. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

FinsnFur

I think I'd be sweating it out on day 7 too. Especially with that thing looking down on me. :whew:

You must be saving the skull? Cause the taxidermist wont need it to mount the cat.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FOsteology

Yes, hoping to salvage the skull in order to display it in my curio cabinet.

weedwalker

Glad you had a safe trip and a GREAT hunt. :yoyo: :yoyo: Awesome looking cat!!!

possumal

Great story and pictures!  Kudos to you and glad you had such a good trip.  That's the stuff dreams are made of. :congrats: :congrats:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

HaMeR

I can't wait for the rest of the stories to come popping up on the screen here!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11