• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Snow Snow Snow

Started by Carolina Coyote, February 11, 2014, 08:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks Feather

John,

That posting is just wrong on so many levels.   :biggrin:     Maybe we can post some cool 70 degree pictures this summer when you (just like now) will have a much higher temperature.  But, you will have a dry heat and 110 dry is always kewl.  Not cool, but kewl as the kids say.

That first picture is making me hungry.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Winter Storm Warning Another 4 to 7 expected starting in the night tonight :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

You guys get so much snow it opens up the upper lever of the "Snow Bank Parking Garage" Jim!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

You keep posting pictures like that and you're going to end up with a bunch of northern visitors on your front door step.   :laf:

Dave

I'm jealous, John, of both the ribs and the weather.  I see in your last pic that youngster is running around in bare feet!  It's too cold in my HOUSE to walk around in bare feet!

Hawks Feather

If that house gets drifting that comes over the top you won't see those people till spring.

Jerry

Edit:  P.S.  you need to clean your windshield.

MI VHNTR

I see that the woodpile is buried in the snow.  :confused:

More glo-bull warming headlines from a local paper in the UP of Michigan. More snow here tonight too. It just keeps on coming.

Winter of 2013-14 now officially coldest on record
http://www.miningjournal.net/page/content.detail/id/595229/Winter-of-2013-14-now-officially-coldest-on-record.html?nav=5006

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

Dale

I was headed for Kentland In. one balmy winter day in 1978, listening to an AM station out of Chicago when the dj whooped it up and started going on that the temperature finally got over freezing, the first time in 63 days...  the frost line in Kentland was down 5 feet that winter... if you died they had the service and put you in cold storage til the spring time when it thawed out... digging graves was to expensive if you had to hire a air compressor and a jack hammer to dig you in...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

MI VHNTR

The frost here is down 8 feet already. More below zero temps next week too. Thanks algore.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

Carolina Coyote

I talked with Sam yesterday my friend that owns the Wanderosa went down this past weekend and said the Ice Storm that hit down there is devastating as much as 35% of the trees in some places are broken or down, roads are impassable, power was still off and even power poles were broken, we plan to go down next week to start the clean up as rain this week will make the dirt roads difficult to run the Skid Steers. I will take pictures when I go down to show why a little snow and ice in the south is such a big deal. cc

HaMeR

Sounds like a real mess Carl. You guys be extra careful around that fallen & possibly twisted together timber. If I were closer I would be there with chainsaw in tow.  :biggrin: :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Dale

Quote from: MI VHNTR on February 18, 2014, 08:36:47 PM
The frost here is down 8 feet already. More below zero temps next week too. Thanks algore.

so how do you keep your water lines from freezing?...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

MI VHNTR

Quote from: Dale on February 19, 2014, 01:50:48 PM
Quote from: MI VHNTR on February 18, 2014, 08:36:47 PM

so how do you keep your water lines from freezing?...

Many of the newer homes have waterlines are buried deeper than that, just in case it gets cold. However, in some of the homes built much earlier, they are issued a "let run" for the remainder of the winter. This allows them to let their water run continuously in about a pencil sized stream without incurring a huge municipal water bill. This is happening all over the UP.

From the local tv station:
http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/news/story.aspx?id=1007085#.UwVlx4W69Mg
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

FinsnFur

I went down and paid my water bill tonight and they had already issued a "let run" notice. They want the lines closest to where the water comes into our houses to run a continuous pencil size stream. Water bill will be compensated for it.
Their theory is with the temps back up above zero now that the lines can burst as the frost comes up? I never heard of such a thing....... :confused: My water froze as the frost moved deeper and deeper into the ground. Probably cause some idiot put my crawlspace and water lines under the house :laf: But they freeze again when the frost lifts???? rreally???
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

MI VHNTR

The frost leaving the ground can cause the soil to heave up and cause pipes to twist, bend or break. You can see this here in the Spring because the roads/ground heave upwards and break the pavement. The counties put weight restrictions on the heavy trucks in an attempt to limit damage from frost heaving. The length of the weight restrictions is usually determined by temp and frost depth.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

FinsnFur

Yep, all our roads are heaved up bad right now with these last few days in the high 30's. But were coming off some 30below temps.
But I still dont get how running the water will help stop them from breaking when the frost leaves if it's heaving ground that causes it. The ground will heave whether the waters running or not. :confused:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

JohnP

Quote from: Carolina Coyote on February 19, 2014, 06:08:36 AM
I talked with Sam yesterday my friend that owns the Wanderosa went down this past weekend and said the Ice Storm that hit down there is devastating as much as 35% of the trees in some places are broken or down, roads are impassable, power was still off and even power poles were broken, we plan to go down next week to start the clean up as rain this week will make the dirt roads difficult to run the Skid Steers. I will take pictures when I go down to show why a little snow and ice in the south is such a big deal. cc

Carl - You be careful down there.  I got something for the Wanderosa, shoot me a PM with your address and I get it mailed out to ya. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Okanagan

Snow snow snow is what we have.  Once in awhile I guess Mother Nature wants to remind us that we live in Canada so gives us some snow in place of rain.  It was supposed to snow a little three days ago and then warm up.  Oops...  still snowing with blizzard winds piling drifts across the roads, on a layer of ice from freezing rain when it almost warmed above freezing yesterday.  The weather folks keep predicting that it will warm up in the next 12-24 hours and keep revising that out another 12-24 hours.   :huh:

Except for a run to the grocery store in 4x4 have stayed holed up.   Partial retirement is nice not to have to go out in this stuff.   :yoyo:

MI VHNTR

The dreaded polar vortex has taken aim at the UP of MI and most of the Midwest again.
At least I got to take the snowplow off of the truck for a while. It's going to be too cold to get too much snow.  You just have to love this glo-bull warming BS.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

Carolina Coyote

I went down to Georgia this past Monday to start the cleanup on the Wanderosia, it looks like a Hurricane went through down there , the pictures don't really show the damage as I took a few pictures the first day but after that just to busy, the damage is so wide spread thousands and thousands of acres with trees down and tops broken out, the pictures here are in the pines, the hardwoods had trees that were 3 to 4 feet in diameter blow over. Anyone want free fire wood come on down.