• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

13 deer and a bear thu spotting scope

Started by Okanagan, June 14, 2021, 09:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Got out camping overnight with son and grandson Friday night.  We picked a spot just off a logging road where we could glass high country an evening and a morning.  Morning was way the best, with the first sun rays lighting up the alpine meadows and snow patches like a spotlight on the crags.

We saw 13 blacktail deer in the early sunlight, soon after 5:30 AM, and then a black bear about 8:45.  With spotting scopes set up near the campfire we would eat good stuff and alternate keeping an eye on the high meadows.  It was two miles through the air and their antlers are clubby stumps growing in velvet  and we barely glimpsed antlers on one deer.  From their actions and what we know of deer, most are bucks up that high this time of year.  The bear slept in a bit, as usual with bears, and showed up not long before we left.

I headed home while the other two cut some trail up a ridge they plan to hunt this Fall.  Then my son headed home while his son climbed up to the peak and did a big loop to come down another ridge to the road.  He got within 20 yards of a black bear, pictured below.

Grandson thought it was the same bear but my son and I both think it is a different bear from the one we glassed that morning 600-800 yards around a super steep cliffy mountain.  The bear could move that far easily, but the one we saw was lazily feeding in the opposite direction, and appeared to lay down in a patch of shady brush before we left him earlier.  No reason for a bear in that country to move that far this time of year. 

We ate well:  corn on the cob in the campfire, elk and deer steaks with bacon and mushrooms, Johnsonville cheddar brats, hot coffee and a mocha for me, etc. 

pitw

Great adventure.  I like the part about doing it all close to the food. :yoyo:
I say what I think not think what I say.