• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

We're flooding again!!

Started by HaMeR, March 19, 2008, 07:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keekee

Same here! I drove threw water up to the doors on the truck to get home last night. Sometimes it sucks living right on the river. Looked like a lake out side this Am, but its falling fast right now.

We had a few mud slides here as well that closed some local roads. My yard is like a swamp! I think its rained every other day sense Nov.....lol

Brent

KySongDog

With all this water..........I wonder where the coyotes go?   :wo:

Anybody seen any moving?

Semp

FinsnFur

Holy crap Glen.
Can you imagine a cold hard week long freeze now? That's a lotta water  :sad:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

I actually think a week long freeze might be good. That would allow a bunch of water to run away. Then a slow thaw would maybe help get rid of the rest. Ice dams might be a problem on the river but I don't know. Just seems like maybe a deep freeze would be a good thing.  :shrug:

Semp-- Not to be a smart ass but I'm sure they followed the rabbits right up on the higher ground. A canoe or small boat with an electric motor would allow access to these places tho.  :wink:

No mud slides here yet Brent. Hope it stays that way too. Folks are having a tough time in some areas as it is. Keep an eye on the water down there!!   :wink:

Will do AL!! I'm sure Bill will post it up right quick tho.  :laf:  Good Luck to you & Jim today too.  :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

Quote from: HaMeR on March 21, 2008, 07:48:33 AM

Semp-- Not to be a smart ass but I'm sure they followed the rabbits right up on the higher ground. A canoe or small boat with an electric motor would allow access to these places tho.  :wink:

Ya think?  :doh2:  I figured rabbits, deer, turkeys and anything else without webbed feet would be moving to higher ground.....somewhere.  I was thinking this water would concentrate them......somewhere.  Might be a good time to hunt if ya knew where that somewhere was.    :wo:

Next question......after the water goes down.....how long before they go back to normal routine in the low lands? 

Semp

alscalls

Quote from: HaMeR on March 21, 2008, 07:48:33 AM
I actually think a week long freeze might be good. That would allow a bunch of water to run away. Then a slow thaw would maybe help get rid of the rest. Ice dams might be a problem on the river but I don't know. Just seems like maybe a deep freeze would be a good thing.  :shrug:

No mud slides here yet Brent. Hope it stays that way too. Folks are having a tough time in some areas as it is. Keep an eye on the water down there!!   :wink:

Will do AL!! I'm sure Bill will post it up right quick tho.  :laf:  Good Luck to you & Jim today too.  :yoyo:
Nothing this mourning but we aint done yet....... :nono:going on a night hunt :congrats: :yoyo: Home sweet home :biggrin: I got a pic of a mule that was posturing in front of us....that could have been bad.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Jimmie in Ky

They follow the water back out Semp, at least the predators will. You would not believe the numbers of fish that will be hung up in fields. We once seined some holes in a friends fields to stock ponds and freezers. We did not get all of them. We did put several thousand eight inch fish in ponds and put several hundred large fish in our freezers. The pool of water when we fouind it was 2 feet deep and 3 to 4 hundred yards long. Buzzards showed us where it was. Jimmie

ohiobob

Quote from: HaMeR on March 20, 2008, 07:47:35 PM
We talked to a farmer this afternoon at 5PM. He said the water rose a foot overnight last night & from 8AM til 5PM today another 8". There is a lot of water coming down from the North yet too. The levels are still at least 3 feet below '05 but it's still rising.

The farmer we talked to has his house on the bank on the left. Notice the fence posts disappearing?

Ohiobob's neck of the woods.

I hope Bob isn't back there hunting!!  :laf: Course it doesn't say anything about fishing does it?  :shrug:  :laf:

A couple well pumps.

My best guesstimation is another 12 feet of water & it's over the top!! It's happened before.

THE END.

Glen
Those Pics look very Familiar   :laf:
It is REALLY bad out here now, and gonna get worse, Plus they are calling for Rain & Snow all the way to next Sunday  :argh:
This will be much worse that the 2005 Flood and as of right now, I am but a few Feet from Isolation  :argh:
I am going to try and get to my Sons House, he has a Coleman Crawdad and I think I can get a trolling Motor, and he also has a Kayak, it's a little to Cold to roll over in "Lake Cumberland" but I have been in much Colder Water before.
We had a House 1 mile from me Burn to the Ground this Morning at 5 AM, the Fire House is a 1/2 Mile away from the House that Burned, but it took them 25 Minutes to get to the Fire  :sad: I know the Family real well, two Adults and 5 Kids  :sad:
This Shit is really starting to SUCK !!!
I have Plenty of food and Gas for the Generator if the Power goes out, but right now I wish I would have converted to Propane on the Generator, my Generator only runs for 5-6 Hours on a Tank of Gas.
We have 1 Road to take so the Wife can get to work, but a 14 Mile Trip is now 27 Miles, and a lot slower driving because our outlet Rd is Mud and Gravel, but that doesn't matter if the Creek below me comes up about another 2 feet, and it is sounding like they are Predicting maybe 3 Feet  :shrug:
I drove my Truck through about 2 feet of water the other day, but I have a friggin 2006 and they dont have much Clearence
If I still had my 1970 4X4, it would be no Problem, I drove the 70 through high water during the 2005 Flood, but it does me no good now sitting in someone else's Garage.
I have a bunch of new Pics of this Friggin Flood, and whats funny/weird is MOST of the People South of us are calling us Dumb Ass Hillbilly's for living out in the Sticks, but what they're not thinking of, is that IF the Dam Breaks, or The water TOPS the Dam, that entire 2 City Area is GONE, and those are 2 pretty Big City's, Glen & Bill can tell ya that IF these 2 scenario's happens, it will be of Epic turmoil !
I can live with the high water, but the 2 cities South Can't, it;s a Shame that the FEW Idiot's calling us "Dumb Hillbilly's" couldn't be the only ones to lose everything, but 95% of the People in those 2 Town's ARE Good People  :highclap:
I am heading out now to check the Road out, and check some other BAD Spots out, I hope to hell that this incoming weather is wrong, but it doesn't look like the Forecasters are wrong either  :sad3:
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

Silencer

Hang in there Bob, I'll say a little prayer for ya tonight buddy

HaMeR

Good to hear from you Bob!! I have a couple gas cans here you can borrow. I have two 5 gallon cans & a couple 2 1/2 gallon cans. If you want them call me & I'll see you get another 10 gallons or so of gas!! I just need em back before the grass gets too high tho.  :wink:   :roflmao: :laf: :laf:

330-308-8050

Anybody else near Dover/New Phila have an extra can or two for Bob??  :shrug:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Bills Custom Calls

I am not that close but I have a few 5 gallon cans if ya need them

Anyone got a boat
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Hawks Feather

Hang in there Bob.  Maybe the water won't get much higher.

Jerry

alscalls

Thats not a boat paddle Bill its a turkey call! Dangit Hammer you were supposed to show him. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Sorry I could not pass that up.(Just kidding around)
http://www.geocities.com/alscalls/coyote.html
AL

Frogman

Guys,
    I have a scuba class beginning in Marietta at the Y on Sunday afternoon March 30 at 2:00 PM.  Looks like you guys might need spearguns to coyote hunt up there.   :roflmao:
    All funnin' aside I hope things work out for you.  Looks kind of tough right now.   :madd:

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

alscalls

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Frogs are funny too..... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
AL

ohiobob

Thanks for all of the Generous offers guys, I have enough Gas for now, we need this Bad weather to turn into Sunshine !!!
But it doesn't Look like that will happen, my 2 Sons called about an hour ago, 1 is a Senior & the other is a Sophomore, they are going out in their Boat tomorrow, I gave them the Speech about Hypothermia and how Cold this water really is, I DON'T think they listened very well  :doh2: they are actually getting bored by being home all the time, if it was a snow day, they always went into the Woods, but now the woods is "Flooded Timber"  :rolleye:
If it were Waterfowl season, we could become rich out here, taking people on Duck & Goose Hunts, but this stuff hit about 6 weeks to late  :laf: BUT I have seen some Waterfowl up close (to Close) that I have only seen in Pictures.
This is the First Time that I have seen Wild Swans, I never knew that Swans were so damn BIG !!!
If it get worse on Tuesday, I am going to park my Truck up the road, and put a Boat in at the Bottom of my Hill, at least me and the Neighbors can get out if need be, and after the House down the road burned to the ground, I have checked and
Rechecked wiring around the House, the ONLY thing that saved the 7 People down the road was a Smoke Detector, I guess it is a Good day when a $5 piece of plastic saves 7 Lives, thank God it wasn't worse, I called and told the Guys Family and neighbors that I have a lot of Clothes for them, but I can't get to them, but those 7 people are being well cared for now  :highclap:
I went and took about 50 new Pics, I got a new Pic of the 1 that Glen Posted, the Landowner Hunting only Sign, it is under water now, and at the same spot, I took a Pic of the Road Sign & a Stop Sign that is under water except for the tip of the Signs.
If it was warm out, I would have 1 of the biggest Swimming Holes around, well, except for all the TRASH floating around, People ARE Pigs !
And there is a Dead Cat at the Spot of Glen's Pic  :puke: it IS nasty !
I guess I should know by Wednesday if I need all the extra Gas Cans, maybe earlier  :shrug:
And about the Coyote's, everything around here went to High Ground, but Me and my Buddy hasn't Went Coyote Hunting in about 10 Days, and we aren't going for quite a few more weeks, so I think our Season is DONE  :argh: BUT, when this Flood first started, we talked about taking his Boat out and "Cadillacing" for Coyotes, but he was to busy with Emergency Meetings because he is a Trustee in Lawrence Township and they are under water as well.
The First Flood in 2005 was a Novelty, sort of Cool as it has never been this Bad, but THIS Flood is nothing but a PITA Now, the Novelty of 2005 has wore off  :sad:
Well I am going to TRY and upload the New Pics onto Photo Bucket
Thanks to ALL
Bob

HaMeR

UPDATE!!

I've always wanted to do that^^^^!!  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Seriously tho the good news is that Bob almost got his wish for sunshine. While we haven't been having a lot of it lately around here at least the rain has held off except for a few showers here & there. They have re-opened the Exit/Entrance ramps along I77 about 10 miles from Bob's house which means the water is receding. How much I don't know yet but it's going down. I'll take a ride this weekend & see. The other good news is that Bob didn't need our gas cans which means his power has hopefully been uninterrupted. Or his phones are out.  :wo: Altho the offer still stands Bob!!  :wink:

Having said that the Southern 1/2 of Ohio has gotten heavy rains again. Marietta,, which is on the Ohio River in ESE Ohio next to W Va,, has reported some flooding. I don't know how bad tho. That also means from there down past Brents & on to Cincinnati are having high water problems as well. So everybody down that way Good Luck & keep your heads up!! It'll all be just a bad dream in another 2 weeks!!

Good Luck!!  :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

ohiobob

Glen
We did lose Power and Phone Service last Monday or Tuesday, I think it was Monday, the Power & Phone was out for about 4 Hours, no big deal, I went out and Fired up the Generator, came back in and turned the TV back on and made something to Eat, it was a struggle  :whew:
One Good thing is my Neighbor Finally Got His Generator, last Flood in 2005, the Power went out for 4 Days, I Ran an extension Cord to my Neighbors House (a LONG Cord) so he could Plug in his Freezer, his Freezer was just Filled with Meat about 3 days before the Power went out, so I had to shut some Breakers off when I ran the Extension Cord because it was drawing the Juice down pretty Good, but his Freezer was more important than Having all my Lights and TV on.
As Glen said, the Rain held off, Thank God for that one, it is supposed to Rain again this coming week, but Hopefully this will be handled before any Big Rains
I want to try and Find a Place to convert my Generator over to Propane from Gas, I am not sure who does this, or where I could even get the Kit, but as soon as our roads are accessible and I don't have to drive 30 Miles to get to town which is 13 Miles away, I will pursue the Propane Switch.
But I sure do hope this Stuff moves on and NEVER Comes back again, but there seems to be a 3 year Trend around here anymore, we will see
Thank You
Bob

HaMeR

Thanks for the up close & personal update Bob!! Good to hear you handled the struggles so well!!  :eyebrownod:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

ohiobob

Glen
There isn't really a Stuggle out here, now if the Damn Breaks, that would be a struggle, not for me, but People South of Here would be in a World of Shit.
I think we actually have the Largest "Community Pool" in the County now, if not in the Entire State, we all have Access to the Pool from our Land  :laf:
Bob