• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Smoker recommendations

Started by msmith, December 29, 2008, 06:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msmith

I am looking at getting a smoker. I figure on smoking things like jerky, sausage, turkey, and even trout. Who all has a smoker and what do you like/dislike about it. Do you have any recommedations?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

alscalls

Mike ,
I have a small one and my family used to do this for a living....Long ago.
I recommend that if you are just going to smoke this and that .........you should also get a small one.
Now that being said a real smoker with green wood is a lot of work and very time consuming........the charcoal ones are basicly the same kinda deal.......ya want very little heat no more than say 150deg.
The electric ones you can do a little easier but I feel you loose a lot of flavor that way.
The easy way to get a smoker is to build it.... :biggrin: There are many ways to do this and I can help with the How toos. :wink:
One way to do it for example is to build a smoke box on a hillside above where you want you fire....You can build it from wood or metal just be sure you can get in and out to check on things...A thermometer is highly recommended.
Dig a pit for your fire and dig a ditch or use pipe for the smoke to be drawn into and through and under/into the smoke box.
Ya want smoke and little or no fire........
Any one you get you should consider a commercial smoke cure product it will save a lot of time in the curing process.
I use stuff from Ohio (Amish country) http://www.lemproducts.com/ You can even buy a book on it from them on how to build one if you want.
I know some of this dont make sense. I am tired but please ask if you need more info.  :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

msmith

Thanks for the info Al. I figger I will hit you up for more info, but am going to hold off for a while. I know you are very busy right now and have a lot on your mind.

I have been looking at the Cabelas smokers. Like you said, I was looking small. If I do it a season or two and get bored, I won't have a smokehouse behind the garage doing nothing. That and I can put it away between seasons.

Thanks for the link too.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

pitw

I built one out of an ancient fridge.  I can either cold or hot smoke with it.  Like Al say's start with a small one and see if it is the right occupation for you.  Ever need any help or advice just yell or type.
Barry
I say what I think not think what I say.

HuntnCarve

Check out this site   www.sausagemaker.com  I bought a small, insulated smoker from them years ago and it works great.  They carry all the supplies you'll ever need too.  I ended up buying a dehydrator, and stuffer from them too.  Top rate goods!

Dave

cb223

A friend of mine built one with an old oven. He can hot or cold smoke with it.

He made a smoke box about 18x12x12 (inches not feet), put one of burners from the stove in it, ran metal dryer pipe from the smoke box to the under side of the oven.

With this setup he can control the temp in the oven/smoker and in the smoke box for the amount of smoke.

Hope this makes sense! If you your interested I can get some pics.

It seems to work very well!
CHAD

claimbuster

I did a lot of research and finally went with a CookShack.  I've been very happy with the results.  You can't miss when it comes to a good outcome.

http://www.cookshack.com/residential-barbecue-smokers

R Buker

Hypnosis can help you stop that nasty habit of smoking all the time.....   :biggrin:

msmith

Thanks for all of the replies...even Randy's, but I can't stop smoking till I'm not on fire anymore.  :eyebrownod:

I'm gonna hit up Al and pitw for info on building one. For some reason I am into the do-it-yourself stuff.

Thanks again,

Mike
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

alscalls

I have this old booklet that will be a good start.......If you are doing electric? look into thermostat control first as it will be your most cost. Pm me your address Mike and I will send you the booklet I aint using it someone gave it to me knowing I like that stuff.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls