• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Help with baits

Started by yotehunter1, March 01, 2007, 12:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yotehunter1

I have been fishing some small local streams here in Central Indiana and have caught a lot of small mouth bass. At sugar creek  i caught two 4 pond smallies lasy year in one day on a zoom baby brush hog. Any one know some other great small mouth lures I should have in my arsenal. I even caught a 10lb. flathead on that bait.

Thank you,

Yotehunter1

FinsnFur

Smallmouth aren't noise hogs as much as Largemouth are. That's my opinion anyway.
They both are attracted to noise, but I feel the Largemouth is more responsive to it.

Silver..
Smallmouth up here love silver, and or white. Mepps bass busters, with a white skirt are killer. Top water buzz baits with a white skirt are good too. Both lures have the best of both worlds, white skirt, silver blades.

Some people say it makes no difference, but I'll argue it all day....and that is blade type. Colorado blades in my mind are junk  for bass fishing. Save them for the Muskie and Pike.
Willow blades in a #2 lure will keep you busy.  :wink:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bopeye

Minnows work good for me.........but what do I know, I mostly crappie fish... :innocentwhistle:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

keekee

Small Zoom plastic jerk baits (flukes) work well for smallmouth, as well as small 3" tube jigs with no weight work or ripped across the top of the water. White, Pumpkin seed, and midnight blue work well here.

Also in the creeks here I like a white 1/8" spinner bait with a small black twister tail trailer.

Brent

Mallardsr

If your creek fishing try a 2" floating silver Rapala. I always tied a black dry  fly on a 12" leader on the rear treble hook.  I would tie my line to a split ring (no swivel).  RP

Jimmie in Ky

I am with Keekee on this one. Tubes and or curly tails in smoke, watermelon, pumpkinseed, and clear salt and pepper flake.

And jerk baits in silver with black or blue back and clown color.

Once in a while they will get hot on the rebel crawfish crankbait in hot tiger  or craw with orange belly. These are best for me with a little color in the water. Jimmie

keekee

Yep forgot one! A little Bill Norman #54 in Baby Bass is awesome as well! You need to change the hooks out when you get them though, but awesome smallmouth baits!

Brent

Bopeye

I've read about all these fluked, pumpkinhead, sidewinder lures until my head got to hurting.
Guess I know why I stick with minners now....... :wo:

I better explain a little for my yank counterparts............"minners" are minnows in the South.... :eyebrownod:

Years ago, my dad, brother and I use to fly fish for Smallies. I can't remember the name of the streamers we used, but I do remember a maribou muddler working as well as poppers.
Any fly that remotely looked like a crawdad worked too. My memory isn't too good anymore though......... :whew:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

awh

Match what is in the creek. If there are crawdads there than thats what I would use as smallies love them. If not I agree with all the other post. Minnows and any of the plastic jerk baits always come to the creek with us.
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.