• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Spring turkey season - part 2

Started by coyote101, May 03, 2022, 08:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

Did a little run and gun turkey hunting Saturday morning. Just moving slowly through the woods and calling every once in a while. I was a few yards inside the wood line, looking over a large, freshly planted corn field with no turkeys in sight. I yelped a few times, and got an answering gobble from the other side of a narrow tree line. I yelped again and this time was answered by at least three gobblers. I gobbled at them, and they gobbled back, and I knew the game was on.

I stayed inside the woods, moved about twenty yards in their direction, and sat down against a dead fall tree. I was well camouflaged by the tall weeds, so I got the gun up and yelped a couple of times. I knew they were coming, so I just shut up and waited. And, here they came. Five of them came around the end of that tree line about a hundred yards away, and headed in my direction. As they approached, the shooting angle started to get a little weird, so rather than shift my body, I switched to left handed. They got within range and I shot the lead tom with a load of number 9's from my little single shot Winchester 20 gauge. He went down, his buddies ran off, and the hunt was over. 

I was wanting to take a spring turkey with my crossbow this year, and hunted with it a few days, but it's heavy and cumbersome and doesn't lend itself well to run and gun, so I had my 20 gauge this day. So, the spring gobbler with a crossbow is off for another year.

Where I was sitting to where he lay was twenty-nine yards.

Hero shot. The weeds are getting tall and thick.

My little 20 gauge single shot did it again.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

pitw

Quote from: coyote101 on May 03, 2022, 08:04:42 PM
Hero shot. The weeds are getting tall and thick.

Not to mention green. :laf:

Good going Pat. :yoyo:
I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

Awesome!... it is just starting to green up a little bit around here. I just bought my first 20 gauge last weekend, a savage 301 single shot turkey gun in Mossy Oak bottom land.

Hawks Feather

Congratulations on the bird and thanks for the story. I always enjoy reading your posts. Makes me feel like I am there.

nastygunz

Have you ever thought about videotaping any of your hunts?

Hawks Feather

Quote from: nastygunz on May 04, 2022, 08:48:34 AM

You could do it. Video camera in your right hand, the reaper decoy in your left, and that 20 gauge with high power shells being held by your teeth and your tongue in the trigger. 😳 Make sure to get a hero shot of your smile that will no longer have any teeth after the shot.

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on May 04, 2022, 08:48:34 AM

I did some with a Gopro a few years ago. They were okay, but because it's a fisheye lens, everything further than a few yards looked very small. I have been thinking about getting a Tacticam, but haven't made the move yet.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

You dont mess around with these Turkeys do you? :highclap: Nice job. :congrats:
Did your GoPro have the Linear or Wide option? Mine is a Hero 7 and it does. One of them eliminates the fish eye. I cant recall which.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Good hunting decisions all the way, when to call, what call to make, when to be quiet, when and where to move, when to sit...  plus good shooting!  That's an after action report from a pro!

coyote101

Quote from: FinsnFur on May 04, 2022, 08:36:34 PM
Did your GoPro have the Linear or Wide option? Mine is a Hero 7 and it does. One of them eliminates the fish eye. I cant recall which.

Mine does not have the option. I think it is a Hero3.

Also, while we're talking video, how do I post a video? I used to be able to with photobucket, but I don't have a clue how to with Imgur.

Pat
NRA Life Member

bambam

FinsnFur

I've never used Imgur for a video I use Vimeo or YouTube. Upload the video to one of those and they give you a share link. The link they provide is nothing but a link to the video there's no code or anything and then forum will automatically play the video on your post.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com