• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Coon season opened yesterday

Started by coyote101, October 02, 2022, 11:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

My turkey population is way down, and I'm blaming the raccoons, so I'll be after them with a vengeance this year.

I missed one yesterday, but today these two were not as lucky:

Young coon distress sounds bring them charging in mad.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

nastygunz

Oh lawdy, I love coon calling! is that a fox pro? What are you using for artillery? What is your favorite sound?

bigben

dennis kirk coon puppies was always a favorite of mine.  I plan on getting some coon cuffs as soon as trapping season opens.  We have a lot of coons running around our property and not many turkeys.  same as you I am blaming them.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on October 03, 2022, 05:58:02 AMOh lawdy, I love coon calling!
I do too, Nasty. I'm new to the game, and wish I'd started years ago.

Quote from: nastygunz on October 03, 2022, 05:58:02 AMIs that a fox pro?
It is a Foxpro X24. I traded in my old 416B after you posted about Foxpro's trade in program.

Quote from: nastygunz on October 03, 2022, 05:58:02 AMWhat are you using for artillery?
Old reliable Mossberg 835.

I may switch to a .22 once the leaves fall, and the ground cover thins.

Quote from: nastygunz on October 03, 2022, 05:58:02 AMWhat is your favorite sound?
Young coon distress, and coon fight sounds. In my limited experience, the distress sounds bring in females, and the fight sounds bring in the males. In either case they come in hard. The first one yesterday literally bowled over the caller! I also use a motion decoy, which seems to help.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

nastygunz

I still have my FX3, the mossy 835. I will have to check my files, I thought I had some Minaska coon sounds.They were the ones who got a lot of people trying it. I like to hunt along the Connecticut River where there's a lot of giant old oak trees and den trees and huge cornfields. Once you find a good den tree it will keep producing year after year.

nastygunz

sorry with all the questions but what's that sling you have on the Mossberg?

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on October 03, 2022, 01:58:21 PM..... what's that sling you have on the Mossberg?

I picked the sling up at a local deer expo back in the early nineties. I think the maker was just a mom and pop operation, and is long since out of business. It is made from rubber very similar to an inner tube, and covered in that camo cloth. It loops over the barrel and stock, and allows the gun to hang, hands free, at my side. It has enough stretch that the gun can be shouldered, but it's tight, and I rarely do it.  I switch it between guns, and slip it on whichever one I'm using at the time. I've never seen another quite like it, and it's going to hurt my feelings if I ever lose it, or it somehow wears out.   

Pat
NRA Life Member

nastygunz

that's pretty interesting, I might find me a bicycle inner tube and try to whip one of those up with my speed stitcher awl!

FinsnFur

Sweeeeeet. I gotta send the GoPro down there and have ya mount it on that caller  :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com