• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Coon season is getting better.

Started by coyote101, October 05, 2022, 10:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

The action was fast and furious for a minute this morning.

These three won't be eating any turkey eggs in the spring:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

nastygunz

what round are you using in that magnificent Mossberg 835 ultramag ?

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on October 05, 2022, 10:33:23 AMwhat round are you using in that magnificent Mossberg 835 ultramag ?

I'm not a water foul hunter, but I have several boxes of steel shot laying around. I was using #4 steel with an IC choke for steel shot, just to use it up. I was not at all pleased with the performance of the steel shot, so I switched back to lead and my Dead Coyote choke. Today I had a mix of #4 and #6 high brass lead loads. It did the trick. 

Pat   
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

nastygunz

i've been using up my old steel shot squirrel hunting ha ha. I have some 3 1/2 inch steel BB, Been sitting around for years, that stuff put a dent in your shoulder.

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on October 05, 2022, 04:20:30 PMi've been using up my old steel shot squirrel hunting ha ha. I have some 3 1/2 inch steel BB, Been sitting around for years, that stuff put a dent in your shoulder.

I have never shot a 3½ inch load in this gun, but I understand it is absolutely brutal. I have a few 25 round boxes of 3½ inch steel F's, and BBB's. I also have a several 10 round boxes of 3½ non-steel turkey loads in 4 shot and 5 shot. I may use them someday, but I can't see beating myself up when 3 inch loads have always done everything I want.

Pat
NRA Life Member

Hawks Feather

Are you skinning these coon out and stretching them or just selling them to a fur buyer? If it is a buyer, what are people getting for coon in your area?

coyote101

Quote from: Hawks Feather on October 05, 2022, 05:09:45 PMAre you skinning these coon out and stretching them or just selling them to a fur buyer? If it is a buyer, what are people getting for coon in your area?

Jerry,

I give them to an old gentleman who lives on the farm I hunt. He eats them. I took the tails from a few of them that I killed in February, to see if I could tan them. I messed up a couple before I figured it out. I may take a whole skin to tan soon, just for grins. I may even skin and eat one, but my wife says she's not having any part of that.

Pat
NRA Life Member

nastygunz

I grew up eating them! Taste kind of like dark pork, nothing like a good fat corn fed coon roast :yoyo:

JohnP

Pat, when I was in the Advanced Course at Ft Rucker we had a guy who hunted them every Saturday.  He would skin and butcher and then marinate them in some homemade southern ingredients, then every Saturday we would put them on the grill.  The first time he did it he told no one what it was. We all raved about how good it was.  When he finally told us a few guys stopped coming to the Saturday night cookout.  I thought they tasted very good.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on October 05, 2022, 05:35:03 PMI grew up eating them! Taste kind of like dark pork, nothing like a good fat corn fed coon roast :yoyo:
Quote from: JohnP on October 05, 2022, 06:17:47 PMPat, when I was in the Advanced Course at Ft Rucker we had a guy who hunted them every Saturday.  He would skin and butcher and then marinate them in some homemade southern ingredients, then every Saturday we would put them on the grill.  The first time he did it he told no one what it was. We all raved about how good it was.  When he finally told us a few guys stopped coming to the Saturday night cookout.  I thought they tasted very good.

Now I'm going to have to give it a try.

Pat
NRA Life Member

pitw

I'm thinking that would be fun to do, once.  Good job Pat. :highclap:
I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

I used to hunt with nothing but 3 1/2 inch magnums, but the last few years I just use 3 inch, more than enough to take your turkey. The 835 hits hard on both ends. I have never shot 3 1/2 inch magnums in my single shot and never plan on it either ha ha!

FinsnFur

Daaaaang...you were like close to be surrounded.
Nice fur pile  :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

When we used to get a coon for eating we would clean it and then cut as much fat as possible off it and then boil it first to get rid of more fat. Of course we only hunted them in the fall when they had their winter weight on so a lotta fat, but fed on corn and apples etc. No dumpster coon back in the hills.

KySongDog

Quote from: coyote101 on October 05, 2022, 05:26:46 PMI may even skin and eat one, but my wife says she's not having any part of that.

Pat

Nice Pat!  If you decide to eat one of those furry bastids, make sure you cook it real good. They carry round worms and their eggs. I used to eat them years ago but a friend cut one open in the summer once and it was crawling with worms. The worm eggs can get in to your blood stream and end up in your brain. Always wear gloves when fooling with them.

BTW, I hate raccoons.   :readthis: