• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

News:

In memory of, and honoring, the men and woman whom never made it back home, serving our country.

Main Menu

winchester model 70 in .270

Started by bushmaster, May 03, 2008, 01:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushmaster

Hey guys, i just traded my remington 7400 (30-06) for a winchester model 70 chambered in .270.  I don't have much experience with the cartridge and cant decide which size to purchase.  I understand that you can reach out and touch something with a .270, but what size will secure a shot in the thick stuff?  I've researched that the 130gr is slightly faster than the 150gr. and it delivers only 4lbs of pressure less @200yds.  I would really like to hear it from the guys who rely on this cartridge and this rifle.  thanx  -Bushy
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

Bob D

I have used successfully the 130 grain bullets in a 270 for 30 plus years. I like that bullet. I've tried the 150 grainers but they don't seem to have the results the 130's produce. Without actually counting I would say I've taken 150 plus whitetail bucks with this load.
Bob

msmith

I have had a .270 for years and like the 130s myself. However, if I were to use it for elk, I would probably load up some 150s.

My first .270 was a Winchester model 70. That thing would thump me silly when shooting from a bench. Have a 7600 now.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

bushmaster

I appreciate the feedback guys.  Guess we're the only ones who use a .270 around here.

Silencer

Bushy, missed your post.  We're big .270 fans and always used 130 grain, never really cut brush with it but picked our little hole to fire through.  The main reason we shoot 130's is grandad said too, and he's always right  :wink:

LORDDAL

when I had my 270 I always used 150 made a shot right through a sapling that left my dad speachless he was using a 30-06 and 180 silvertips and this 4 point was in some heavy brush my dad never used a scope so he didnt feel like he could make a good shot I had the buck dead to rights sighted right behind the shoulder and he took a step placing this sapling dead center of the cross hairs just as the gun cracked the sapling fell and so did the buck was just under 90 yards also made one shot with my sniper rifle a savage 30-06 that made my brother not want to hunt with me at 100 yards on a dead run through brush his 222 couldnt cut through I had a clearer shot and tagged a 6point right at the base of the skull and end over end DRT use to shot 180 in the 06 now 150 got some 125's to try but either 130 or 150 for the 270 works just great and will put em DRT when shot right
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

KySongDog

Quote from: bushmaster on May 03, 2008, 01:08:43 AM
I understand that you can reach out and touch something with a .270, but what size will secure a shot in the thick stuff? 

My buddy shoots a .270 with 130 gr bullets.  It works well for him.  The 130 gr slug will do the job me thinks but it is not a good brush bustin' round.   The heavier the bullet the better for brush IMHO.  The 150 would be a better choice. But even that is light by my standards.  If you are huntin' brush you are not talkin' long range.

For years, I used a 30-06 180 PSP.  Last year I shot a .243 100 gr and it dropped two deer in their tracks.  I got the .243 for yotes and thought what the hail, I'll hunt deer with it too.  The shots were clear, no brush busting.

Semp

Rich

There is actually no such thing as a so called "brush buster". Oh sure, you can bust more brush with big heavy bullets, but killing brush don't bring home the bacon. Studies have proven long ago that large bullets deflect when striking brush or small trees just like smaller bullets do. The trick is to thread you bullet through "openings" in the brush, not try to shoot "through" it.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

KySongDog

To a certain extent I agree with Rich.  Depends whether you are talking twigs or sapplings.  Small trees is asking a bit much.  Lots of variables I think.  A clear shot is obviously preferable. 

Semp

edited: to correct spailin'

Bob D

If you don't have a clear shot then don't take the shot.

bushmaster

I think you guys are getting the wrong idea about my shooting habits.  I dont shoot through trees, i too thread my shots.  But i hunt in thickets and pines mostly.  Now obviously, there are times where you can hold your fire until the critter crosses your preferred lane.  However, when their are 4ft saplings mixed with dead bushes, tall grass, and briers with a Very high concentration of the above; Some plant matter is gonna get clipped. 

Rich

bushmaster,

I understand what you are saying. Been there, done that.  You  should stay away from highly frangible bullets such as SX, blitz king and etc., because they often blow into nothing but lead smoke when they even hit a small twig. Use a strongly constructed bullet like those designed for deer hunting. The test report I read, involved pointed bullets VS large caliber round or flat nosed bullet in larger calibers. They set targets behind small trees, and then shot through the tree on purpose. The findings revealed that  bullets hitting the tree dead center, did not deflect much. Bullets striking near edge of the tree showed the flat points and round points deflecting more than pointed bullets. I hope this helps you.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

bushmaster

I apreciate it rich, I'm gonna begin my Ammunition trial with the 130gr. core lokt and the federal 130gr. power-shock.

By the way, i just had some work done on my rifle.  I had the trigger set to 2lbs, the action rebuilt, the stock is now set in fiberglass, Leupold mounts/rings, and a nikon pro staff 3-9x40mm scope.  Now if i can just make my way to the range... :wo:

FOsteology

I've predominantly used 130gr. NP and TSX in my .270, however, lately I've been shooting the 110gr. T-TSX.

For shooting in the thick stuff I'd be more inclined to use 150gr. bullets. The NP would get my nod!

bushmaster

Well, the 130gr federal powershocks held a 1/2in. group at 100yds.  I was very impressed with them.  this weekend i'll try the 130gr core lokt.  If i can figure out the whole posting pics thing, i will post the results.