• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

how about a subsonic .338 win mag

Started by bushmaster, October 07, 2008, 01:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushmaster

I know that a few guys on here are avid reloaders and i'm wondering if its worth my while to attempt loading a subsonic 250gr .338.  If 74gr of H8431 produces 2,600 fps..  Would 28.5 gr produce 1,000fps???  I think i'll try it, what do you think guys?
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

Hawks Feather

I would do a LOT more research on it before I gave it a try.  I used to load major reduced loads in .38 special cases for my girls to shoot and always used a filler so that I would not run any risk of detonation.  I know some say that it doesn't happen, but I wanter to be safe rather than sorry.

http://www.hodgdon.com/  If you go here and click on data it will drop down and "youth loads" will be listed.  The .338 is not listed, but you can do some comparison between what is there and your .338.

Even with that, I would call the toll free numbers for the bullet and powder companies and see what they think the lightest load would be.  I guess I would rather have a little more recoil and be safe than to have a chance of the gun blowing up.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

You know, like Jerry's kids, daughters, Amy and Angie.  Becky (wife, but another girl) only likes to shoot the .22s.

Jerry

coyotehunter_1

QuoteI think i'll try it, what do you think guys?

I think I would listen to Jerry :eyebrownod:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

FinsnFur

The principals daughters names both beginning with an "A".
Now I'm here to tell ya that's no coincidence. :nono: :nono:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FinsnFur on October 07, 2008, 08:11:21 PM
The principals daughters names both beginning with an "A".
Now I'm here to tell ya that's no coincidence. :nono: :nono:

Not only that but their middle names started with L and their initials spell ALL and that is what they are to me.   :biggrin:

Bushy, sorry for hijacking your post.

bushmaster

you're alright pal.  i don't know anything about detonation.  i'm guessing that with too little powder, the projectile doesn't move and the case gives??  whats a filler?  it's not in my book.

i tried 31.5gr and fired 3 rounds (before i checked this thread) @25yds.  the group was fine, i didn't measure it as i was going for noise reduction while attempting to preserve enough terminal ballistics to do the job.  the rifle sounded like my .17hmr; not quite what i want but i plan to work the load down a smidge more, in order to drop the velocity below the sound barrier (1125fps).

I cant tell you how interested i am to hear back from you guys.  I'm new at this and i know that its extremely hazardous to jump the gun on this (no pun intended).  I figured that playing with max loads would get me into trouble, rather than attempting a subsonic load.  Thanx for reading and again, I really appreciate the feed back.

KySongDog

Interesting discussion.  But I don't understand why one would want to download the .338 Win Mag.   :confused:   Most people buy that calibre for its effectiveness on large dangerous game.  I've never heard of downloading it before.   I'm not saying one can't do it but that is uncharted water to me and I am curious why do it.  If the object is to tame the recoil, I would think a non-magnum calibre might be a better way to go.   :shrug:

KySongDog

hey Bushy,

I did a Google search on reloading detonation  and there are several articles about the dangers of downloading a large case cartridge.

Hope this helps.

Hawks Feather

Bushy,

Like Semp said, a search for reloading detonation will give you some more information.  Basically the primer shoots across the top of the powder and rather than a "controlled" ignition you have an explosion.  As for fillers, there are an assortment that can be used and some of the reloading sites mention them.  The filler that is used for some pillows is mentioned, but you need to do a search to be sure you get the right kind - which I can't remember any longer.  The girls grew up and started shooting standard .38 loads and I no longer needed the reduced loads.

Jerry

bushmaster

hey Semp, I love the high power of the .338 win mag.  After installing the muzzle brake and recoil pad, i havent had an issue with "love bites" from my rifle.  The idea was inspired by the concept of the .300 whisper that CCP uses.  I figured that with such a large bullet, i could work down the noise level and maintain enough penetration & expansion of the bullet so as to be able to take down a deer.  What i'm trying to accomplish is a .338 CB, if you will.  That is if you are familiar with the CCI .22CB.

Jerry, I'm researching the detonation now.  Thanx fellas.

northern coyote

if I can remember right, dont they make a ring-sorta-lookin powder just for this purpose in cowboy action? I think its basically big rings of powder to minimize the true grains of powder use, but while still keeping the case full of powder and reducing detination, I'm not 100% sure of this though, I'll do some lookin to make sure my heads in the right spot
I'm learnin' and I've got nothin' but time

bushmaster

I just researched the detonation and read that it happens due to fast burning, low volume charges igniting at once.  or due to an accidental double charge.  I'm using H4831 which from what i understand is a very slow burning powder.  i can see the still present threat of possible detonation through the thought that you shared, jerry.  Of the primer flame covering and igniting all of the powder simultaneously.  i googled reloading filler but the results were vague.  jerry, what brand of filler did you use? perhaps i could cover more ground from there. 

Northern coyote, i'm interested to hear about what you've found as well.  thanx

Hawks Feather

I can't remember which one I used since it was 25 years ago.  I did find this link when I did a search.

http://www.reloadammo.com/rel-location.htm

Jerry