Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Tailgate / Today in history 9-28
« Last post by remrogers on Today at 10:45:25 AM »
September 28
Philadelphia parade exposes thousands to Spanish flu

On September 28, 1918, a Liberty Loan parade in Philadelphia prompts a huge outbreak of Spanish flu in the city. By the time the pandemic ended, an estimated 20 million to 50 million people were dead worldwide.

Influenza is a highly contagious virus that attacks the respiratory system and can mutate very quickly to avoid being killed by the human immune system. Generally, only the very old and the very young are susceptible to death from the flu. Though a pandemic of the virus in 1889 had killed thousands all over the world, it was not until 1918 that the world discovered how deadly the flu could be.

The most likely origin of the 1918 flu pandemic was a bird or farm animal in the American Midwest. The virus may have traveled among birds, pigs, sheep, moose, bison and elk, eventually mutating into a version that took hold in the human population. The best evidence suggests that the flu spread slowly through the United States in the first half of the year, then spread to Europe via some of the 200,000 American troops who traveled there to fight in World War I. By June, the flu seemed to have mostly disappeared from North America, after taking a considerable toll.

Over the summer of 1918, the flu spread quickly all over Europe. One of its first stops was Spain, where it eventually became known the world over as the Spanish flu. The Spanish flu was highly unusual because it seemed to affect strong people in the prime of their lives rather than babies and the elderly. By the end of the summer, about 10,000 people were dead. In most cases, hemorrhages in the nose and lungs killed victims within three days.

As fall began, the flu epidemic spiraled out of control. Ports throughout the world—usually the first locations in a country to be infected—reported serious problems. In Sierra Leone, 500 of 600 dock workers were too sick to work. Africa, India and the Far East reported epidemics. The spread of the virus among so many people also seems to have made it even more deadly and contagious as it mutated. When the second wave of flu hit London and Boston in September, the results were far worse than those from the previous flu strain.

Twelve thousand soldiers in Massachusetts came down with the flu in mid-September. Each division of the armed services was reporting hundreds of deaths each week due to flu. Philadelphia was the hardest-hit city in the United States. After the Liberty Loan parade (celebrations to promote government bonds that helped pay for the Allied cause in Europe) on September 28, thousands of people became infected. The city morgue, built to hold 36 bodies, was now faced with the arrival of hundreds within a few days. The entire city was quarantined and nearly 12,000 city residents died. Overall, in the United States, five out of every thousand people fell victim to the flu.

In the rest of the world, the death toll was much worse. In Latin America, 10 out of every thousand people died. In Africa, it was 15 per thousand and in Asia it was as high as 35 per thousand. It is estimated that up to 20 million people perished in India alone. Ten percent of the entire population of Tahiti died within three weeks. In Western Samoa, 20 percent of the population died. More people died from the flu than from all of the battles of World War I combined.
The Tailgate / Re: Tip of the day
« Last post by bambam on Today at 08:36:56 AM »

No jab for me, I'm in the control group.  :biggrin:
Non Hunting/Fishing Photos / Re: Random pix.
« Last post by nastygunz on Today at 03:48:09 AM »
 Her husband called the credit card company and stopped payment and then he called the place up and read them the riot act where he bought the sandwiches and they threw it all in the garbage!
Non Hunting/Fishing Photos / Re: Random pix.
« Last post by Okanagan on Yesterday at 10:29:38 PM »
Cruise jacket, yeller lab pups,  my sister ordered a couple of sandwiches for her and her husband and got home and unwrap them and one had a bite out of it!  :argh:..

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Eeeew!  Gross!
Big Game / Re: Backpack buck at timberline
« Last post by nastygunz on Yesterday at 03:55:36 PM »
 There is some beautiful country!
« Last post by Okanagan on Yesterday at 11:16:53 AM »
Due to the exploits of those boys and the angle of that slope behind them I am invoking  my powers as a Native Vermonter and declaring them honorary long distance Green Mountain  Men!

What an honor!  I will tell them!
« Last post by Okanagan on Yesterday at 11:11:37 AM »
I know that ridge and basin and whole mountain well and they know I kind of live their hunts vicariously as they tell me how they worked the terrain. My first hike up there took me 5 1/2 hours to a little flat camp spot which we use as a reference point.  I did it in about 4 one time.  My last hike up there took me 8 1/2 hours...

Wish I had a bucket of huckleberries from up there.
The Tailgate / Today in history 9-27
« Last post by remrogers on Yesterday at 09:35:26 AM »
September 27
John Adams appointed to negotiate peace terms with British

On September 27, 1779, the Continental Congress appoints John Adams to travel to France as minister plenipotentiary in charge of negotiating treaties of peace and commerce with Great Britain during the Revolutionary War.

Adams had traveled to Paris in 1778 to negotiate an alliance with France, but had been unceremoniously dismissed when Congress chose Benjamin Franklin as sole commissioner. Soon after returning to Massachusetts in mid-1779, Adams was elected as a delegate to the state convention to draw up a new constitution; he was involved in these duties when he learned of his new diplomatic commission. Accompanied by his young sons John Quincy and Charles, Adams sailed for Europe that November aboard the French ship Sensible, which sprang a leak early in the voyage and missed its original destination (Brest), instead landing at El Ferrol, in northwestern Spain. After an arduous journey by mule train across the Pyrenees and into France, Adams and his group reached Paris in early February 1780.

While in Paris, Adams wrote to Congress almost daily (sometimes several letters a day) sharing news about British politics, British and French naval activities and his general perspective on European affairs. Conditions were unfavorable for peace at the time, as the war was going badly for the Continental Army, and the blunt and sometimes confrontational Adams clashed with the French government, especially the powerful Foreign Minister Charles Gravier, Comte de Vergennes. In mid-June, Adams began a correspondence with Vergennes in which he pushed for French naval assistance, antagonizing both Vergennes and Franklin, who brought the matter to the attention of Congress.

By that time, Adams had departed France for Holland, where he was attempting to negotiate a loan from the Dutch. Before the end of the year, he was named American minister to the Netherlands, replacing Henry Laurens, who was captured at sea by the British. In June 1781, capitulating to pressure from Vergennes and other French diplomats, Congress acted to revoke Adams’ sole powers as peacemaker with Britain, appointing Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, John Jay and Laurens to negotiate alongside him.

The tide of the war was turning in America’s favor, and Adams returned to Paris in October 1782 to take up his part in the peace negotiations. As Jefferson didn’t travel to Europe and Laurens was in failing health after his release from the Tower of London, it was left to Adams, Jay and Franklin to represent American interests. Adams and Jay both distrusted the French government (in contrast with Franklin), but their differences of opinion and diplomatic styles allowed the team to negotiate favorable terms in the Peace of Paris (1783). The following year, Jefferson arrived to take Adams’ place as American minister to France, forming a lifelong bond with Adams and his family before the latter left to take up his new post as American ambassador to London and continue his distinguished record of foreign service on behalf of the new nation.
The Tailgate / Re: Vaccine!
« Last post by Hawks Feather on Yesterday at 05:50:46 AM »
Back in my younger days I Mail ordered some itching powder off the back of a comic book didn't really work all that well on my younger brother  :innocentwhistle:

Sounds like you were a very caring brother who wasted a buck on thinking you could 'get him'.
« Last post by Hawks Feather on Yesterday at 05:48:56 AM »
Congratulations on their buck and thanks for taking us along for the hunt.  There was a day when I might have been able to make the hike, but not the shot, so it is fun to read the exploits of others.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10