• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

223 - Savage vs Howa

Started by msmith, November 14, 2009, 05:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msmith

The Punkin Pie is really wanting to deer hunt. She is a hefty 9 years old weighing in at about 100# I have been toying with getting a youth model rifle for her in 223 simply because I have a bazillion bullets, primers, powder, and of course the dies. I figger that when she outgrows it, if she ever does, it will get used for other furry critters by me.

I was looking at the package rifles. The savage package gun, I'm not sure what scope it comes with, but it is a 3-9. The Howa comes with two stocks, a youth and an adault, so it can grow with the kid. It comes with a Nikko Stirling 3-9 scope. The prices are very comparable.

So, what say ye, and why?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

KySongDog

I am not familiar with the Howa so I can't comment on it but I really like the Savage w/accu trigger.  The scope that comes on the Savage is fair to not-so-good.  You will probably want another scope at some point. 

Hidehunter

I'm not familiar with the Howa either but I'm a huge Savage Fan.  I have one in 22-250 that is officially my favorite gun I believe I've purchased to this date.  Savage has come along way over the past couple of years.
Denver                                           

Yotehntr

Out of those 2 I'd have to go with the Remington.  :laf:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

vvarmitr

Savage ... in a  heart beat!  :eyebrow:

Hawks Feather

Unless you can do some trigger work I would go with the Savage.  Having the second stock would be nice.

Jerry

220swift

I have never owned a Howa but I own a savage model 12 in 220 swift that shoots about the best of any thing I have every had. With the 50 gr. Vmax it will shoot half inch groups if you don"t get the barrel hot. I think the savage trigger is the best on the market unless you go to a custom.

msmith

I kind of figgered the Savage, if for no other reason, it is made in the USA. However; momma does not want to spend the $$$ since Christmas is coming up, and I can understand that, so...the Pumpkin gets to use an AR. The only non recoiling gun I have right now. Gotta hate that.  :biggrin:

Thanks for the input. We'll scare up a Savage between now and next year.  :yoyo:
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI