• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Showcase North Bay Game Calls...By Stephen Steffy

Started by Coulter, April 01, 2010, 08:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

Background
First and foremost…I tend to be long-winded when I write anything. But I was asked to do a bio, so here it is…this is who I am. I will leave it up to others to edit this for what is deemed relevant. So with that being said, I have been happily married 17 years with three children. My wife and I have actually been together for nearly 20 years now. My oldest daughter is 19 and just finishing up her freshman year in college. My second daughter is 16 and just recently got her learners permit to go driving…beware PA drivers. And my youngest is a little punk troublemaker 8-year-old son that thrives on antagonizing his older sisters, as well as his Mother. Oh, and we also have a little yellow lab named Baylee (that translates to spoiled little princess).

Contrary to the ages and years listed above; I am only 38 years young. My wife was in high school still when we met on a blind date at a Christmas party. Her parents both hated me at the time; her dad allegedly put a hit on me through his bar buddies. Of course with my long hair, bad attitude and leather jacket…I would have hated me too. Nevertheless, they allowed her to get married to me a few years later. And now, 20 years later, they actually like me…I think. Of course I have become a much more respectable person.

I had a very brief military stint. The day before I was sent to Ft. Benning Georgia we found out that my wife was pregnant with our second child. I was at Ft. Benning for approximately 10 days before finding out my wife was hospitalized with phlebitis (Blood clots) and placed on bed rest. She was in the hospital for a 1-month duration and I was inadvertently sent home from boot camp with a general discharge so I could care for my family.

I began hunting when I was around 22 years old…I am pretty much self-taught through a lot of trial and error, as well as a lot of reading. I progressed into trapping around age 25 or 26 and absolutely loved it. In fact, I loved trapping so much I became active with the Pennsylvania Trappers Association and went on to serve as director, as well as editor, for District One for approximately 5 years. I am still active in trapping and plan to always be active. I am a Life member of the Pennsylvania Trappers Assn. and the Arizona Trappers Assn., (I was born in Arizona) as well as a yearly member of the Fur Takers of America and the National Trappers Assn. and numerous other waterfowling organizations.

Off season…is there such a thing?
I don’t honestly think there is an off season. If one is so inclined, the great outdoors will always provide for some type of adventure no matter the season. It may not be hunting, but there are plenty of things that kind of branch off. Take Sea kayaking for instance…my favorite summertime activity. The picture doesn’t appear to be summer, but it sure is fun and peaceful being out on the big water at any time of year. I use a lot of the non-hunting activities to pass the time between hunting seasons and to get my exercise since I’m a desk jockey 8 hours a day.

I also relish hiking and I have recently been trying to encourage my son to become involved with the outdoors through hiking. He seems to be taking to it fairly well. The first long distance hike of the season is coming up in a couple weeks (without my son). My partner and I are heading out for a three day 30 plus mile trek along the West Rim Trail. That will whip my butt into shape.

I enjoy Flyfishing as well, but haven’t been getting out as much as I used to. I plan to rectify that this year and blow the dust off of the flyrods. I may even take one of them hiking with me. Then we have the fall steelhead runs, ask Al about those. He is privy to the fantastic fishery we have in this neck of the woods

Turkey Hunting hunting takes up every weekend for me in May. Between hunting PA birds and venturing across the border into NY on Sundays, my open weekends are non-existent. I make up for missing church for an entire month in June…well a little anyway. This is the first bird I harvested with one of my own calls. I used my Voyager box call and didn’t have a chance to use anything else. This bird came in on a string.

Waterfowling…what can I say? It is an absolute obsession. I thought trapping was bad (addictive), but duck hunting really takes the cake for me. Particularly sea duck hunting and hunting from my sneakboat. There is absolutely nothing like it! I spend a vast amount of time each fall pursuing ducks all the way into the mid winter months. I also tend some traps during most seasons as time permits. Consequently I have a very small window for doing a lot of predator hunting. Don’t get me wrong here, I do make time for a few hunts each season, but not nearly as often as I would like to. It seems when I do take time away from ducks or beaver, it is either spent with my family or making calls. I’m just one of those guys with waaaayy to many irons in the fire. But I wouldn’t have it any other way, it keeps life interesting and drives my wife nuts.

Goals
Hunt, fish, trap or all of the above in Alaska
Paddle the entire Pennsylvania shoreline of Lake Erie in my kayak…50 miles or so.
Hike the North Country Trail in its entirety through PA...a little over 90 miles.
Carve my own rig of gunning decoys for the next waterfowl season and maybe expand the game calls into decoy carving if all goes well.

Work related…
I Graduated in 1996 with a degree in Specialized Technology with a concentration in Architectural CADD I have been utilizing that degree for the last 12 years working as a Sales Engineer for a local manufacturing facility. To put it plainly â€" I hate my current job, but it pays the bills.

I went back to college and graduated from Edinboro University in 2007 with a second degree in Criminal Justice. I’m still attempting to gain employment in that field. Unfortunately, there just isn’t a sufficient demand for CJ majors in this area and relocating isn’t much of an option at this point. While I was in college the second time I did manage to take quite a few writing courses. I know I may have mentioned this in the past on here, but I am still kicking around the idea of writing about some of my hunting excursions and other misadventures and looking at the possibility of having it published in the future. I am really starting to get serious about this too. If any of you ever go hunting with me consider this as your warning, you will become fair game for some ill-conceived stories. I will see to it that our hunting excursion is worthy of writing about.

I also currently work in the law enforcement field. Some of you may know this and most of you probably don’t. I was commissioned as a State Officer in 2000 to serve as a Deputy Wildlife Conservation Officer. This is not a full time job for me; I work when I want to and for as long as I want. It is basically a volunteer job with the same full powers of arrest for violations of PA game laws that a full time officer has. I must conform to strict standards and qualify each year in firearms, defensive tactics, verbal skills, Haz-Mat, etc. But enough of the work related stuff, lets move on to North Bay Game Calls.

North Bay Game Calls
I have dabbled in waterfowling for a few years, but the bug really hit me hard in 2006. In fact, it hit me so hard I decided I wanted to start making my own calls. I began with turkey calls just to get a feel for what I was doing. Then I ventured over to predator calls while I toyed around with duck call designs. Some of my buddies wanted to buy some calls so I decided to start selling them in order to be able to purchase more supplies. After I became comfortable with what I was doing I created North Bay Custom Game Calls. The “Custom” was dropped from the name for various reasons. The Original logo I designed had a lot of thought put into it.

The major portion, the compass, was used for a few reasons. I love going into the woods and attempting to lose myself. I haven’t actually been successful at this yet; though, I have been a might bit confused for a spell once or twice, but never lost. I enjoy the orienteering aspect of hiking, not necessarily with a GPS, but with a good old fashioned map and compass. The logo also serves as a method to show the different calls I make…predator, waterfowl, turkey and a crow. The antlers were placed in there as well, but I no longer make deer grunts. Lastly, I am a huge Seattle Mariners fan…check out their logo if you’re not sure what that means.

The name North Bay also has some significance. I live 10 minutes from Lake Erie. The area I live in is home to Presque Isle Bay…the northern most bay in Pennsylvania and the source for much of my hunting and trapping enjoyment. I also send my furs that I harvest while trapping to Fur Harvesters Auctions…Guess where they are located. You got it - North Bay Ontario Canada. There are probably other factors that went into the design and naming of North Bay Game calls, but those are the key factors that still stick out in my mind. The new logo was merely designed due to the fact that I put the “NB” on all of my calls, that is a story in and of itself. I like both designs though. They are original and one of a kind - the same way I attempt to make my calls.

So with all of that being said…I suppose everybody would like to see the showcase call that I’m putting up for grabs. So here ya go… This particular call is made from Cocobolo and Olivewood and it will also come with a new North Bay display stand. I will get a picture of that up when I have it finished.This call is voiced for Jackrabbit distress and also comes with an external coaxer. This setup allows for a minimum of three different sounds when blown in different ways. Cover the coaxer with your pointer finger and you only use the reed inside the call. Plug the exhaust end and all you use is the coaxer. Or for the ultimate in sound dynamics don’t cover or plug anything and listen to the screeching, blood-curdling screams you will achieve. This is a very diverse call for either close quarters or long distance calling.

Showcase

Call

Showcase Call....

I have been butchering wood since early 2006. I have learned a lot of different techniques and tricks for callmaking along the way from a lot of different people. I am not going to name any names for fear of leaving some of you out - you all know who you are. Then there are guys that keep me striving to make my calls even better than the last…the fellow callmakers that keep me humble with their own woodcrafting wizardry…a big thank you is in order for all of you as well. Lastly but certainly not least â€" The backbone of North Bay Game Calls â€" you the customer! If it wasn’t for you guys that purchase my calls I couldn’t possibly continue to do what I do. Heck, my wife wouldn’t let me. You guys make it all possible for me to give donations, be it calls or monetary, to a host of different associations and to the different contests conducted here at Fins & Furs. I don’t mind donating calls to Fins and Furs…and this is the only forum that I have donated any calls to. Why? You guys exemplify what hunting and camaraderie is all about. Like I mentioned above…it’s not the kill that thrills me, it’s the experience.
Anyway, that’s why I keep making calls…so I can give something back. That is what North Bay is all about.

I am passionate about what I do and I strongly believe in giving back whenever I can. North Bay Game Calls provides me with a means to requite the bounty I reap during each season. Not directly, but indirectly through donations to various associations that in turn conduct habitat projects, reintroduction programs, etc. for our wildlife today. As well as help to ensure the future of our traditions we hold close to our hearts through legal battles and public awareness / education.

Well, I think I covered everything and then some. Any questions? Thanks for taking the time to read all of this. I hope it wasn’t too much. Good luck to everybody in this showcase drawing.

Steve

HaMeR

SWEET!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Cool write up Steve. Your calls are always top of the line!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

iahntr

Very fine write up Steve.  :bowingsmilie:  Excellent craftsmanship too.
Enjoyed reading it, and really enjoyed the pictures also. Thanks for taking
the time to share it all with us, and for participating in the Showcase.   :highclap: :highclap: 
Scott

Hawks Feather

Steve,

Thanks for the info and the pictures.  It seems like you should be busy 24 hours a day.  As for your calls, they have always been top shelf.

Jerry

GunDog

Man after reading all that I feel like I've known you most of your adult life - grin. I don't own any of your calls yet but do plan on adding a few in the near future.  Thanks for the great write up and pictures Steve!  :wink:

LORDDAL

awsome write up Steve and an awsome call as with the turkey calls i finally got to get from you which I have gotten already for the up coming season and hope to put a bird on the turkey hunt board using one of your calls to bag the sucker. Keep up the great work \ and them turkey calls in that first picture look mighty familure  :biggrin: they may not be the same ones I got but they sure look just as good

Charlie
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

Bills Custom Calls

:whew: I am tired  :laf:

Nice write up and that is some fancy coco kinda got the rippled affect  :yoyo: :highclap:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

coyote101

I've got a couple of North Bay calls and they are truly beautiful. Thanks Steve.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

alscalls

I was hoping to take ole belly boat butt steelhead fishing soon........ :eyebrownod:  and show him how its really done, but I been so busy I cant even get to my new lathe...... :pout:
AL

pitw

Steve that was one well written piece  :bowingsmilie:.  Sure makes it easier to see the person you are and your calls speak volumes by themselves.  As a customer I can say your welcome and also I can say thank you for being a generous forthright man who thinks of others more than himself :readthis:.  Looking forward to reading anything you care to write about as long as it can be found :wink:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Coulter

Thank you kindly gents...

Bill, Glen, Al...or anybody else, I'm planning on a wood run possibly next week if any of you guys want to tag along and pick up some wood. There are still some steelies in the streams right now too Al :eyebrow:

I'll be ordering myself a new tool this weekend to utilize that will be taking up even more of my time. :innocentwhistle: But it will be in a good way.

Charlie...check out my new post regarding the owners of North Bay turkey calls. I may do something similar this fall for guys that have one of my predator calls. I'll give you guys a reason to get 'em off of your shelves.  :eyebrow: Those might be your calls in that pic too, I'm not sure though. It seems everybody orders darn near the same set. :shrug:

Barry...it doesn't always seem that way. It seems that I have been thinking more about North Bay Calls the last couple of years and not getting out with my son enough. I am changing that this year though and setting aside a couple of nights a week to spend some time with him and the family. NO calls will be made on those days, unless he is helping of course. Stay tuned on the writing thing...it will be a while, but I'll make sure you can find something.

Thanks again everybody...back to the shop. I have some calls to finish up before the big trappers gun raffle :eyebrow: :biggrin:

Steve

alscalls

I wish I had the time Steve....... Cause I would go in a heart beat!  :yoyo:
Thanks for the offer though......
AL

KurtisG

I really hope I could win that call  :biggrin: But that call looks nice.
Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

bigben

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Yotehntr

Say you took some writing classes huh?  :laf:  Great write up, and your calls are always sharp!  :yoyo:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Bopeye

It's obvious that sleep isn't one of your priorities. You wore me out just reading all of that, but you do lead an exciting life. I can't believe you have just been making calls 4 years. You have progressed very quickly into a very fine call maker.  :highclap:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

vvarmitr

Now that's a write up!  :biggrin:

You asked if there are any questions.
Well, how about a family photo?  :eyebrow:

BTW Don't worry about missing church, just don't miss any moments w/ Him!  :wink:

Coulter

Thanks again everybody

Yep...took a couple writing classes Brad. I excelled at prolific writing, but I really hated that part of it.

My life isn't all that exciting Bop...It is actually kind of hectic trying to find time to squeeze it all in. I need to find a job that pays me the same for working two hours a day :shrug: I have a lot left in me as far as calls go too. There are a lot of ideas I haven't even tried yet :innocentwhistle:

James...I honestly don't think I have any family photos uploaded onto my machine. I'll see if I can find anything...the family may be in different pictures, but if you use your imagination you can piece it all together.

Running my oldest back to college now, so I have to go. I'll look for pics when I get home.

Steve

Todd Rahm

See what happens when I don't read the site for a week?  :wink:

Steve your calls are World Class, just like you.  ;yes; Keep up the good work, enjoy the family time, and when that son of yours starts turning......let me know.  :wink: