• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Hawg Trap

Started by FOsteology, October 05, 2011, 02:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOsteology

Went out to the lease today and reset the hog trap. Trail cam shows the hogs are still swinging by every few days. So, perhaps within the next few days I'll have some pictures of trapped hogs.....not to mention some slow cooked/smoked pull pork.   :biggrin:

Decided to drive around the property. Ponds are extremely low. Hope we receive some good rains this Fall and winter. We need it desperately.

The neighboring ranch on the far NW corner of the ranch is high fenced (600 acres). So, approx. 1/3 mile in that far corner is fenced off. I was driving along that boundary when I spied some deer on the other side of the fence. I was able to creep within 60 yards or so with the truck and get a quick picture with the P&S camera.

Some nice pen raised pets. One even has a nice drop point.

Hawks Feather

I am not real sure, but I think I can see a tear started in the fence.    ;yes;

Jerry

iahntr

:eyebrow:      :biggrin:
Scott

FinsnFur

Wow, I have never seen a fence with such a tight weave. Does that thing keep out flies too?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dave

Looks like they found the only bit of shade in the area.

FOsteology

One lone boar (young) this afternoon lounging in the hawg trap. He wasn't pleased to see me. Bashed his face and head against the wire repeatedly attempting to break down my trap so he could flee.
Even attempted to bite me through the wires when I was trying to line up the .22LR

Trap reset. Maybe tomorrow I'll have a few more!  :biggrin:

Dave

NICE!
Next time you're there, could you take a pic of the whole trap.  Just curious to see how big it is and how it gets set off. 

FOsteology

Will do.

I believe the trap is 8' long x 5' wide x 3' high and weighs 225lbs.

HaMeR

:yoyo: :yoyo: Congratulations on dropping one of those 4 legged roto tillers!! Looks like you're gonna have a bunch of good breakfasts & suppers!!  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hidehunter

Awesome Job.  I always wanted to try trapping them.  I used to go down to Rock Hill South Carolina and take my bear dogs to APA Breed Days.  They had a bear baying competition but they also trapped hogs for people to bring their Hog Dogs down and turn loose on.  75% of the time the Hog would be chasing the dogs.  They are some mean critters.
Denver                                           

FOsteology

No pigs today. The trap was sprung.... but empty. I think the hawgs bumped the trap setting it off. Leaving it for now as we have rain in the forecast. Suppose to get a little over an inch by Monday.....

Hidehunter,

I've got quite a bit of experience hawg doggin'! Nothing gets the adrenaline flowing like chasing a hawg down and sticking it with a knife.  :biggrin:

FOsteology

Finally got around to going back out to the lease to reset the hog trap.

Dave, took these pictures for you:

Trap is 8' long x 5' wide x 3.5' high

A cable is utilized to trip the trigger resting on the door (door is on a heavy spring). Pigs come in and snag cable with their feet/legs, which pulls the cable, tripping the trigger which releases the door from its spring tension. Door slams shut.

Maybe tomorrow I'll have some piggies to butcher.  :biggrin:

FinsnFur

Man I totally missed the last few of these posts. Ya finally got one Fos :yoyo:...you cant help but to question their intelligence when you have the traps set for so long and catch a young 'un. :confused:

I'm going to start buttering the spigot. :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nastygunz

"I'm going to start buttering the spigot. :eyebrow:"

huh?

FOsteology

Oldest boy and I went out and found two small boars lounging in the trap. Another boar was outside, laying along side the trap keeping his buddies company. Upon our approach, he jumped up and ran maybe 20 yards away. All I had was 250Savage's old CZ 452 Scout loaded with CCI 40gr. SGB (Small Game Bullet). One between the ear/eye at approx. 40 yards and he dropped like a sack of 'taters.  :biggrin:

His two buddies were dispatched and the chore of cleaning and preparing for eventual Bar-B-Que was commenced. Glad I had the oldest boy along to assist.

Unfortunately, I forgot the camera at home.

I'll be out again early this coming week to reset the trap. I have two brother in-laws, one sister in-law, a handful of employees, and a handful of friends and acquaintances of the wife that are clamoring for some puerco to make "Carnitas".

FinsnFur

That would be quite a site, to see a couple in the trap and one outside wondering what to do. :laf:
Sounds like there's going to be festive eating events at the FOsteology residence. :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

FOsteology

Nahhh. I gave all the meat away, as they were boars.

I just fired up my Webber with pecan wood. Going to grill up some Ribeyes.  :biggrin:

FinsnFur

Rib eyes!?? You said puerco to make "Carnitas" :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

FOsteology

Another one bite the dust this evening.

Caught this 'ol boy on one of my trail cams. I do believe I need to scout this particular a little more..... and carefully!  :biggrin:

Dave

Thanks for the pics and discription Fos.  That all sounds like wayyyyyy too much fun. 
That's a beauty of a buck you and your boys have to hunt!