• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

First double on grays in the daytime

Started by Bluesman, December 31, 2012, 10:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluesman

I've been hunting for the last couple of days with the famous Carolina Coyote. He's been my guide on a another southern predator hunt.  I joined him Sunday night after his Sunday afternoon hog elimination project.  Today he set me up on a prime stand after lunch where we connected on these two grays.  The male came in first only four minutes into the stand.  He stopped no more than 50 yards in front of me broadside.  Even I made that shot - with my Model Seven .222.  I continued to call and within another four minutes the female comes from the same little briar patch.  She was a little more elusive but came out of a wood line evidently investigating her downed mate.  Another 40 grain Sierra from the .222 and we had a double in the daytime.  Not unheard of but a real nice bonus calling preds in the south.

Bluesman

Carolina Coyote

The Model Seven is NOT for sale:

Thanks for taking me to the honey holes CC.
...and by the way, we very much miss our third partner Centerfire_223 who could not make the trip this time.

JB in NC
Protect our sport.  Act like you got some sense out there so future generations can enjoy hunting too,

JB

centerfire_223

looks like fun, wish I could have been there. Man those are some pretty fox. Where did you call them in at?

Yall doing any night hunting?
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Bluesman

These were called in down at the old pecan orchard Ronnie.  We moved on from the pecan grove in the direction of the cotton fields.  Lots and lots of cat sign....and good coyote sign too but no responses so far.  We've hunted two nights and one day starting last night.  Called in four grays, killed two....batting .500.

Protect our sport.  Act like you got some sense out there so future generations can enjoy hunting too,

JB

centerfire_223

I just can't figure those coyotes out down there. For as much sign as you see and coyotes you hear at night, seems like you would call in more. They have stumped me for years now, if I had that much sign on my farms here I would be killing a whole lot more coyotes.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

bigben

Greys are my favorite animals to call. Very nice double. What bullet are you shooting out of the .222 and how was fur damage.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Hidehunter

Beautiful foxes...great job guys!

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

Denver                                           

coyotehunter_1

Way to go, good looking fur! :highclap: It looks like your choice of bullet is fur friendly.
Model 7 chambered in 222 Rem. = a great rifle & cartridge combination, love it!!!  :biggrin:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Bluesman

Bigben and CoyoteHunter1,

Sorry to disappoint.  The fur damage was actually awful.  The photos were strategic to conceal the gore.  I'm shooting a 40 grain Sierra hollow-point which we chronographed today at just over 3K fps. (21.5 grains of H4198).  I chose this bullet for coyotes but to be honest, I've never found "the" centerfire load for gray fox.  Over the years I've learned everything tears 'em up pretty bad unless we use the shotgun.  I even used 22 WMR and 22 Hornet in my quest for the perfect centerfire fox round.  After several runners with the WMR my partner and I figured the hornet was the answer, but we even had bad fur damage AND/or runners with the hornet too.  Of course shot placement means everything here.  If you're lucky enough to get a facing shot fur damage is always minimal.  It's the broadside shots that do the damage.

The Sierras are very cozy in this Model 7 so I will continue to use them .....and hope a coyote shows up on one my stands.

JB in NC

JB

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bigben

I have had good luck with psp bullets in .223.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Okanagan

Grey foxes sure are pretty with the mix of red and grey.  Good for you to turn the critters to the gore doesn't show.  :congrats: Makes for a much nicer photo unless we are doing a forensic documentation of bullet damage!

Carolina Coyote

A very fun week of Hunting< We had Coyotes all around us at night Howling or laughing at us, one thing we did learn I think is white light is OK and does not spook Game like we always thought it would , still some fine tuning on our night Hunting to be able to close the deal, Patience  is a big asset and try to avoid frustrations, it has been a big learning curve for us to close the deal but we plan to stay after them. cc

wv-outdoor

Beautiful greys!!! Looks like you two enjoyed your time out in the field.

Bluesman

:bowingsmilie:  Thanks again to Carl!

I appreciate the hospitality and good times with you and brother-in-law Ron.  What great place to hunt, eat and camp out for a week or 3.  :)

I wish I could return the favor.....but I can't even come close.  They say that's the kind of favors you get from the best of friends.

JB in NC

JB

Carolina Coyote

JB, It was a fun hunt for me and enjoyed having you down for a few days, never seems there is enough time in the day to get everything done you want to when down there but we made the best of it, I don't remember how many sets we made but we did cover a lot of ground. even got into a little paper punching with those awesome Rifles you have. It would have been nice to have Centerfire 223 along but maybe next time.
Carl   

Bluesman

After that thicket you took me through I think you should consider a new screen name Carl.  Perhaps "Bre'r Rabbitt" would be a good one.  :doh2:  :alscalls:

JB

Carolina Coyote

JB I did not want to back track , That was a nice thicket and glad you enjoyed it .  :laf:  :laf:  :alscalls: cc