• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

KO "Darkness"

Started by CCP, April 07, 2007, 07:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCP

KO Predator Solutions

The "Darkness" By Richard Baxter

As a predator hunter I find myself looking for different calls to give me the edge I need in the field. There are so many products out there it can get confusing sometimes. After many years of trial and error I settled on a few custom calls and dabble with a few production calls from time to time. I usually find they are junk or I have to customize them to fit my taste. So you can see I was reluctant to try a new production call.

After several phone conversations and e-mails from people using the KO Predator Solutions line of calls I gave in. I sent off an E-mail to Loren Reese for a few of his calls. After receiving my calls I threw them in the truck so I could play with them while driving from day to day.

The first call I started playing with was the Darkness. It is very pleasing to the eye; small smooth lines an eye catcher for sure. I first started off holding tight on the tip of the reed for some high pitched sounds and I got nothing. I put pressure on the reed and continued on up the reed and still nothing. I thought to myself "another production call- here we go again". Well I just couldn't help, it every time I got in the truck I would play with that call. I would tell myself it's just too good-looking a call to not have a good sound.

For those of you out there laughing at me about now...well yes, I figured it out. This isn't your ordinary production open reed; there is no need to hold pressure on the reed. You just insert the call and blow. You don't even have to blow hard to make this baby scream the bunny blues. After trying to make something hard out of something easy I continued to play with this call. If I put my lips to the far end of the reed . and blow I get a higher pitched distress SOUND than if I hold it all the way in my mouth . SOUND  

After playing with it a few weeks I took it around to some people I knew and had them give it a try. These were not coyote callers,  just everyday people I know from work, etc. Each person was able to blow it with ease and they could all make it sound the same.  Aaron and I took it with us on several hunts and were able to call a coyote with this call. A wind change on stand kept us from closing the deal.

Here is a pic of  the mouth piece from the side. I like the design of the tone board and the way the reed fits.
Here is a pic of the call disassembled

I will sum this up by saying this is a nice looking call, it is one of the easiest production open reeds I have used. Loud, easy to use, durable and most of all it works. I would recommend it to the beginner  or the seasoned hunter.

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

KySongDog

Great review and even better pics!  Thanks!

Semp

studabaka

I picked up a pair of Loren's calls a ways back. I agree with you that lipping works better than biting on these. Now I'm no expert caller by any means, but what I have found is that I have been able to blow howls consistently on both these without any breaks. Not sure if that's just me or if there is something unique in Loren's design like some kind of newbie screw up correction compensating mechanism  :wo:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

CCP

Hadn't even tried the howling with it until I read your post studabaka picked it up and gave it a try. Well it does good and is consistent every time. Here is a sound clip I just recorded Howl this is only the 4th time blowing a howl, With some practice I believe I could make it even better. You are correct it has no breaks Iam glad Loren incorporated the screw up correction compensating mechanism because I sure am good at screwing up :biggrin:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

FinsnFur

Quote from: studabaka on April 07, 2007, 08:49:14 AM

there is something unique in Loren's design like some kind of newbie screw up correction compensating mechanism

LOL@ Stu

:laf: :laf:

Nice write up Rich  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

desert dog

Thank you very much Rich.  Joe and I are very proud of the "Ghost" and the "Darkness".  They are a open reed call that blows like a closed reed, except you can get a bit different toneal ranges out of them.

Loren
www.reeselanyards.com

"what you pay for your calls is your business, protecting them is ours"

Arkyyoter

Thanks Richard....glad ya like 'em.....very nice write-up, I appreciate it!!

Joe

bearmanric

great little call. simple to use and not alot of air required. Rick

keekee

Very good review Rich! Well done!

Brent

rugerr

I've got a darkness on its way and now I can't wait to try it out.