• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

flat base vs boat tail

Started by Rick223, June 28, 2007, 07:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick223

Ok fellers this may be a very basic question but what would be better for long range shootin 300 to 500 yrds flat base or boat tail.Ive heard varied opions at the range.Ive been workin up loads for my rem sendaro 25-06 and im tryin to decide what to try next.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

vvarmitr

The benchresters in most cases use the flat bases for out to 200yds. However, they have premium crowns on their barrels.
The boat tails, they say, take a little more distance to stablize, but once stablized perform better at the longer distances.

Personally, I use boat tails whenever I can. The benchresters are trying to shave thousandths of an inch off their scores & can see a difference between the two. In a hunting situation you aren't concerned w/ that. :doh2:

Then again your gun may like flat based bullets. :shrug:  In the accuracy department it's more up to your gun what will shoot best. :rolleye:

Hawks Feather

Rick223,

V. V. has given what I think is a pretty good, short, concise, answer.  If you are old enough or if there are some older guys at the range where you shoot, you may hear that the boat tail bullets will cause your barrel to burn out faster.  Someone had an article in Precision Shooting (I believe) years back that, telling that while there is a slight difference in the after affects between flat base and boat tail, it is very, very small.  I don't remember exactly but it was something like 5,000 flat base had the same effect on the barrel as 4,500 boat tail.  He had gone on to say that it was possible that the difference was caused by the different barrels.  Just a piece of history for you.

Jerry

Rick223

thanks guys I didnt think theres was a whole lot of diffrence at 100 yds  as I tried both types but so far my sendaro really likes 75 grain v maxs but l would like to go a little heavier for longer ranges so im gonna try the 90 grn seirra hpbt and see how they do. thanks again
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

fuzz624

I have shot both in the past and couldnt tell much difference.Usually BT bullets have a little higher balistic coeffecient so they should cut wind a little better and shoot a little flatter.Then again,it will not be enough difference that a normal hunter would ever notice the difference.So pretty much my advice is find a load that works for your rifle and stick with it,nomatter weather it is a FB or BT.

The Rock

Rick, Not telling you what to shoot, well maybe I am. :shrug:

Pick up a box of 90gr. sierra gameking B.T.H.P.'s and try in your 25-06. Might not work for you but, I have great resullts on paper and coyotes with that bullet out of my 25-06. It has also been very fur friendly except when heavy bone is hit. Same for most all bullets though!

90gr Sirrea BTHP, 55.5gr  H4831SC

Rick223

thanks for the data Rock ill give that a try.