• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

300 WHISPER

Started by bushmaster, August 03, 2007, 03:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushmaster

For the last week at work, all i could think about was the 300 whisper.  I'd like to know all about it and where to get one from.  Lets here it guys...
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

Ridge Runner

221 fireball necked to .308, super accurate, thats about all I know, I'll look around for a source for an upper.
RR

bushmaster

thanks Ridge Runner   :yoyo:

Ridge Runner

model 1 sales has them, they call it the 300 fireball, complete upper is 350 bucks,  if you want utmost accuracy go with woa. here's a link to model 1's page http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=UCO300&storeid=1&image=u16carpost3.gif
RR

straycat

I don't think the Fireball and Whisper are the same. If I'm not mistaken the Whisper is a 223 necked up to a 30. I could be wrong but don't think so.
"If you're going to be a smartass, you'd better start by being smart before you start being an ass."

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

vvarmitr

Let me be the first to say  ................ Yep, you're wrong!  :laf:

vvarmitr

J.D.Jones came up w/ this cartridge, as well as 100s more. :iroll:

For some real interesting wildcats check out his site ...
http://www.sskindustries.com/index.htm

FinsnFur

I believe CCP's shooting a whisper.......cant believe he hasnt responded to this yet.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

CCP

Quote.cant believe he hasnt responded to this yet.

Was going to post pic's and such today but my father in law had a stroke today. Just got back will be gone mostly tomorrow also. I WILL get something up as soon as I can.

I love the 300 Whisper and they shoot so very well. Only thing is you need to reload Corbon is the only manufacturer and have  very limited and expensive rounds.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

bushmaster

Alright, this is all great stuff! 

CCP

I'm sorry about your father in law.  I will keep him in my prayers.  I cant wait for more info on the whisper! What kind do you shoot?  The video of the coyote @ 14 yards on youtube is what first got my attention.  I have my .223 AR set up the same way, but the damage held a drastic difference.  Now wiith handloaded 220gr rounds i can make a subsonic round, correct?  Like a .308 CB? per say...

Ridge Runner

well the 458 socom will also perform well subsonic, and with full power loads will knock down any critter in North America, just another option.
RR

bushmaster

:mad2: :mad3: :madd: :sad2:
I cannot find an AR upper in 300 whisper ANYWHERE!!!
I am so close to snapping it's not even funny.  Ya know when you're just so frustrated that you grit your teeth and have a knot in your stomach?  Well I'm THAT GUY :noway:

CCP

So you want a whisper???

The whisper is one hell of a cartridge and I love hunting with it out of the AR platform. I looked long and hard at many cartridges trying to find one that suited my coyote hunting needs. 1st I needed it to be able to shoot in the AR platform 2nd I needed it to be very accurate. 3rd I needed it to have little recoil for follow up shots.4th I needed it to be able to go through a coyote at the ranges I hunt.

Now there are several cartridges that fit this nitch. Especially being a avid reloader, all  production and wildcat cartridges were within my reach. I looked at the 6mm-.223 for awhile shooting heavy bullets. After several trial and errors I finally settled on the 300 whisper.

I use it in its supersonic role and only shoot subsonic for kicks and giggles I don't hunt with it subsonic. In the supersonic role it is on par with the 30-30 but is much more accurate and has more versatility. It being in the AR platform gives good follow up shots and the low recoil lets you see your hits through the scope.

Is the 300 whisper right for you?

It all depends on how and were you hunt coyotes. For us we normally hunt in the woods and call our coyotes as close as possible. The reason we call them close is not because we are bad shots but rather it is a personal choice. It gives us better satisfaction knowing we tricked our quarry into coming so close. When shooting animals on the move and having to do so quickly in close quarters at times mean's you can't always have time or get the coyote at that perfect angle. So we needed a bullet combo that would penetrate a coyote at any angle and exit leaving an exit wound blood trail in the event it didn't anchor it there on the spot.

The 300whisper is based on the 221 fireball case and it is a simple expanding of the neck that makes the cartridge. I started out expanding the 221 but soon moved to making my brass out of .223 cases.

Here are some steps that the brass can take during the process. There are several different ways of getting to the final results.

1. Standard once fired .223 case
2. .223 case ran through 221 fireball form and trim die
3. .223 case ran through 300fireball die without expander
4. .223 case ran through 300fireball die with expander
5. finished 300 fireball case

Once you have ran the .223 cases through the die I then cut them with a dremel tool a little long then put them in my case trimmer.

Once they have ran through the case trimmer I turn the necks to my chamber dimensions.

Now they are ready to load.

1. 90gr plinker
2. 110gr spire sp
3. 110gr v-max
4. 123gr spire sp
5. 150gr spire sp
6. 165gr  HPBT
7. 180gr SPC
8. 220gr round nose

As you can see the 300whisper is very versatile in all the different weights and styles of bullets it can use. It shoots all the rounds above M.O.A.

I will try and add more to this post as time permits and get more in depth in the loading process.

Edit to add

Here is a 25 shot  group at 100 yards. This was in oct 2004, I just found it in my photo bucket pics. I fired each shot as fast as I could get back on target.After another 3 years it can still do it.

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

bushmaster

Thanks rich, you're really helpin me here :biggrin:

CCP

Here are a few links to some 300fireball uppers

SSK

Oly

AR 15 barrels

Model one

Del-ton

AR 15 products

Hopefully you can find what you are looking for. When I was building mine there were not many choices and I had a reamer made and started from scratch. Long and expensive process :sad:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

RShaw

Now that is a specific cartridge for a specific situation.

Randy

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.

Hawks Feather

CCP,

As I was once told, after shooting my best ever benchrest group and showing the target at the gun store.  "Nice group, but you missed the center of the target."   :biggrin:    For 25 rounds of semi-rapid fire, that is an excellent group.  Barrel would not heat up all that much with 17.5 grains of powder, but it still would heat up enough to start to open up a group.  That means that five rounds slow fire would be produce  a really good group.

Jerry

coyotehunter_1

CCP,
Hey, I know that rifle...  :laf: 

You started out using 221 FB brass, which is shorter than 223.  That being the case, is there a need to anneal the longer 223 brass before running them through the expander dies?

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

bushmaster

I checked out the upper receivers for sale on the model 1 website.  $350 seems too easy :wo:  Is this a reasonable choice? And do I have to purchase a seperate bolt and carry unit?  Seeing as the casing derives from a .223 I figured that my original bolt/carrier unit would suffice.  Then comes the fear of speeding up the wear process since the bolt was not originally fitted for THAT particular receiver.  What do you think?

Also, I am considering making the purchase of Hawks Feather's reloading gear posted in the classified section.  Now I am brand new at the concept of handloading but I want to dive in.  What equipment, aside from that which Hawk has posted will I need?

KySongDog

Quote from: bushmaster on August 13, 2007, 04:30:15 AM

Now I am brand new at the concept of handloading but I want to dive in.  What equipment, aside from that which Hawk has posted will I need?

Get a reloading manual (I like Speer #13 but the new version is #14, I think), and, of course, dies for sure.  A case trimmer will come in handy too as would a Lee Auto Prime tool if you're doing a lot of handloading.  The equipment that Hawk listed will get you started. You can add other items as you find the need for them.  Above all, read and follow ALL of the safety warnings in the reloading manual!!

Also, I would advise against starting out by attempting to handload the 300 whisper.  There are too many steps involved especially if you are forming your own brass. You should start by loading a standard caliber such as the .223 until you have the procedures and safety rules down pat.  IMHO and YMMV.

Have fun!