• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

50 or 100?

Started by LBLDOG, April 07, 2008, 04:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBLDOG

Im going to sight in my new ar I got Saturday and was wondering what you guys do to sight yours in ? I have a SKS and my brother-in law sighted it in at 100 . I was wondering sight the ar in at 100 to or sight it in at 50? The manual says for open sights put a target at 35 meters to sight in. I have put a 3x9x 42 on my ar- 15. I also asked the gun dealer how he broke his ar in and he said shoot 10 rounds ,clean it , shoot 10 clean it  till you shoot 100 throuhg it ? What is some input on this also? (thanks) This is all new to me , Im a shotgun kind of yote hunter  :eyebrow:

Rich

Zero your scope so that your point of impact is about 1" high at 100 yards.  This way, you can hold dead on a coyote from 30-250 yards.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

Frogman

On at 200 yards puts me about 1 1/2 inches high at 100 yards.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Kuipdog

I agree with frogman, on at 200 puts me 1 to 1 1/2 inches high at 100 depending on load. I have an SKS sighted at 200 with open sights. I can hit a 6" circle with it, for me thats good enough for coyotes. I broke my AR in by shooting 1 run a patch on a jag till it was pretty clean, shoot 2 run a patch till it was almost clean, shoot 3 run patch, shoot 4 run a patch you get the idea. I did this until I was shooting 10. I then did a complete clean and did it again. Break in of a barrel is an art as much as a science. The key is to not let the barrel get real hot and clean it between strings. Some guys do it every shot for the first 100 rounds, some do it every 5 rounds for the first 500 rounds. Your dealer gave you a basic way to break in a barrel, he is not wrong on how to do it. Take it easy and don't let the barrel get hot and you should be ok. I have a friend that is a 1000 yard shooter and he told me how he breaks in his barrels and I basicallyadopted what he did, only he cleans his barrel until the patch comes clean  and I mean CLEAN!! I am not that much of a neat freak, but then I have yet to shoot 1000 yards.

browning204

Quote from: Rich on April 07, 2008, 07:48:32 AM
Zero your scope so that your point of impact is about 1" high at 100 yards.  This way, you can hold dead on a coyote from 30-250 yards.

What bullet weight and barrel length are you talkin about??
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

LBLDOG

16 inch barrel and 55 grain pill

FinsnFur

Yeah, but Cronk is still shooting his ole 30/30 lever action  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyotehunter_1

LBL Dog
Are you running factory loads or custom loads?

Zero @ 100 yards for me but I do use an excellent ballistics program that has proven to be very helpful. 

The program I use is Point Blank, simple and easy to use.
Point Blank was first created back in 1999 by my friend Dallan C., creator and owner of Hunting Nut. 
All you do is sign onto www.huntingnut.com. and download the Point Blank program FREE of charge, no strings attached.

Here are a few screen shots of what the program looks like:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

FinsnFur

Where you get them fancy toys Chet  :confused: :biggrin: :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyotehunter_1

Quote from: FinsnFur on April 13, 2008, 05:51:23 PM
Where you get them fancy toys Chet  :confused: :biggrin: :yoyo:

www.huntingnut.com.    :wink: :biggrin:   
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.