• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

AR feed problems II....

Started by bushmaster, May 04, 2009, 10:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushmaster

Fella's, i just read the thread about AR's jamming up and have found myself erked by the same issue.  I'm loading a 6.8SPC and when i chamber some rounds, the bolt will not completely rotate into its locked position. the forward assist will not do it and it takes considerable effort to eject the case manually.  However, other rounds in the same batch will perform as i intend them to.  I tried dropping a few into the chamber and some would fit with ease while others would chamber 2/3's of the way. 
   My initial thought was an improperly adjusted sizing die. but i've ruled it out since not all of the cases have malfunctioned.  I started reloading with the help of Jerry Latta and the advice of many members here.  I have confidence that with your help, i can get to the bottom of this nonsense.
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

5 SHOTS

Are you using a "small base" sizing die or a regular die?
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

KySongDog

Here is my $.02 worth.  *IF* you are reloading cases that were fired in a different gun, you will need to use a full length resizing die.  From your description it sounds like you have cases fired in your gun and maybe cases fired in another gun mixed together in the same reloading batch.   :shrug:

I am no expert at reloading and I'm sure Jerry or someone else will give you a better answer. 

Good luck, Bushy.

bushmaster

5 SHOTS- i AM USING A FULL LENGTH DIE

SEMP- ALL OF MY CASES WERE PURCHASED AS FACTORY AMMO AND ONLY FIRED THROUGH MY WEAPON. however, there is a mix of SSA, Hornady, and Remington brass.  I just remembered that while reading your response. All cases EXCEPT for the remington require a Small Rifle primer while the Remington cases call for a Large Rifle primer. 

I WONDER NOW IF THE VARIATION OF BRASS MAY HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT??

5 SHOTS

The reason I ask is, I am forced to use a small base full length sizing die. a regular full length sizer doesn't size small enough for my rifle. The small base die is designed for semi auto, pump, and lever actions. A bolt action will chamber a slightly larger round due to the cam action closing the bolt. I hope I haven't confused you too much.

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

Hawks Feather

I don't have a 6.8, but it sure sounds like the brass is not being resized enough to allow it to chamber properly.  You might want to check your die set up to make sure it is resizing all the way.  A little bit goes a long way with brass.  Small base dies will do more than normal full length resizing and work very well in autos that have slightly oversized chambers.  I use them for the first round resizing of any .223 fired brass that I work. 

Jerry

bushmaster

Problem solved.  It was the notorious issue of human error.  An improperly adjusted crimp!  No problems now.  Maybe it makes me sound like a moron but hey, I'm learning!

5 SHOTS

Don't know why I didn't think of that. I know someone else who had that same problem. :innocentwhistle: :doh2: :doh2: