• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

If a coyote ?

Started by LBLDOG, October 14, 2009, 06:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBLDOG

I had this question asked to me in the breakroom at work Teusday night by a non-hunter. The coyote mates for live with one Female . What happens if that Alpha Male or Beta Female dies due to being shot , sickness or whatever who steps up to the plate? I said I think it would be a Lone yote without a Family ? I told my friend good question , I will ask all my Yote buddies on the net. 

golfertrout

i would say he gets horny n finds another female, just like any male he cant go without it. :shrug:

alscalls

I do not think its about being there.......I think it is a power struggle of the fittest ......that dog would find the most suitable mate according to the pecking order of the territory....M2C

I have had people say the coyotes were after my female dog cause she was in heat....They wanted to breed her.
I do not believe thats the case......I believe they want to kill her as she is not worthy of breeding to them.... :shrug:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

CCP

Coyotes mate for life of the mate they are with. Once a mate dies it will find another mate. Whether it be a male or female they usually stay in their same territory. It usually takes a transient mate coming into it's territory. I have seen in one case where an old male lost it's mate and a young male took it's dominant role and took a new female mate and let the old male continue to live there. The old male continued to live there for three years solitary. What happened to that old male after the three years I don't know never found it's remains but assume it died a natural death.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Jimmie in Ky

They find new mates time after time. Even if they lose one each year.

And yes they were out to kill the dog to keep it from mating and creating more competition for the food sources. Jimmie

5 SHOTS

I saw a coyote breeding a chocolate lab a few years ago.  :shrug:
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.