• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

CZ Rifles

Started by JohnP, July 10, 2010, 02:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Since the surgeons gave me a new lease on my hunting life I decided to buy a new rifle for this coming season.  Does anyone here have a CZ, if so what is your opinion of them?  Kinda like the 527FS or the 527M1. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

HuntnCarve

John,

I've heard nothing but good things about them.  My two .19 calibers (Calhoons) are built on CZ actions/stocks.  All CZ's have a set trigger that is pretty sweet.  The only feature that throws me about them (personal preference) is the safety is backwards compared to say a Remington.  The 527 M1 features a recessed clip magazine that adds to the sleek look and feel.  On my rifles the clip protrudes.  More of a cosmetic problem, and not an issue with me.  I still fawn over the CZ .22 Hornet up at the one gun shop near here. LOL! 

Dave

vvarmitr

Ditto what Dave said.
I have one of their "cheap" 22lr & it's a tack driver.  I bought it for the girls to shoot. (I have 5 daughters), but I've put about as many rounds through it as they have.  :eyebrow:
A CZ varmint rifle is on my to own list!!!!!  ;yes;  :eyebrow:  :biggrin:
Last I checked you can get one in the grand ol' cartridge of 222Rem.  :eyebrow:   :thumb2:  :dance:

Oh I almost forgot. :doh2:  I also have one of their 12ga SXS Ringneck shotguns.  I haven't shot it yet :sad2: ,but it is under priced in my opinion. :wink:

FOsteology

Ditto Dave's critique.

I'm not a fan of their "backwards" safety, nor their magazines. Their CF rifles are heavy, unbalanced, and feel "clubbish". Their redeeming quality is that they are typically very accurate rifles.

I have a 452 American in .22WMR and my boy 250Savage has a 452 Scout .22LR, both are very accurate and get used regularly.

I highly recommend the CZ 527 Carbine.... with some modifications.

I have one that came beautifully stocked from the factory (best I've ever seen on a production run).

As I've already mentioned, I don't care for the magazine, so I sent it to Roy Bertalotto of RVB Precision (508-994-3644) and had him convert the exposed, rather ugly, drop down magazine to a
more flush modern looking unit.

CZ-527 Rifle Magazine Conversion 

Well worth the $75 he charged!

vvarmitr

Personally I like the convenience of a clip.  :biggrin:

FOsteology

Quote from: vvarmitr on July 10, 2010, 04:39:19 PM
Personally I like the convenience of a clip.  :biggrin:

:puke:

Obviously, YMMV !   :biggrin:

KySongDog

John

Here is a link to a local gun shop (largest in Kentucky) which has loads of CZ's on hand.   If you are price shopping you might give Darell Whittaker a call.  I know he ships all over the country.

http://www.whittakerguns.com/

JohnP

I guess that's it then, a CZ it will be, just don't know which one or which caliber - yet.  

Dave - I think Calhoun uses CZ almost exclusively for his rifles.   Do ya think the 22 Hornet is sufficient for coyotes?

FOS if ya hadn't mentioned it I would have thought that stock was hand crafted.  

Thanks Semp I'll have to give him a call as his price list is dated 2008.

FOsteology

Quote from: JohnP on July 10, 2010, 05:59:18 PMDo ya think the 22 Hornet is sufficient for coyotes?

According to "250Savage", if it works splendidly on white tail doe and bucks, and mouflon sheep.... no reason to think it wouldn't put the lights out on a coyote!

He's especially fond of the 45gr. Nosler Solid Base and 45gr. TSX

HaMeR

I love my CZ American in 221FB!! I would like a Varmint model in 204Ruger also. I think you would like the CZ American in 204/223 for coyotes. They carry very nicely. JMHO

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

HuntnCarve

What's the saying... "The proof of the pudding is in the eating".  Thank you FOs!  Your photos sure touted the merits of the .22 Hornet.  It's all about the right bullet and the proper placement.  Of course we all know that Mr. JohnP will not have any problems with the "placement" part of the equation.  I have a buddy out in WA that's shot a pile of coyotes with the Hornet.  So based on that, and FOs's advice, I'd have no problem using one on coyotes.
Then again, VVarmtr mentioned another sweet heart caliber, the .222 Rem. :wink:
I think you will be very happy with your new CZ regardless of the caliber John.

Dave

FOsteology

Heck John, as close as you get to coyotes (not to mention calling them in) you would be fine with a CZ 452 American in .22WMR stoked with Winchester 40gr. JHP bullets.
I have killed truck loads upon truck loads of feral hogs with the above combo. I'd have absolute confidence in the above combo working on a coyote.

As Dave pointed out, it's all about proper bullet selection and placement.  :wink:

JohnP

I guess I'll just have to flip a coin,  Hornet, .17Rem, .204.  I'm not ruling out the 22WMR but I  already have a Marlin 782 and a Anschutz 1518 and have killed coyotes with both of them.  I don't have any of the three CF I mentioned.  When using the 22WMR I keep my shots under 75 yards and preferably under 50.  

Thanks HaMeR for throwing in the .204 - I never thought of it....

coyotehunter_1

Problem: "I don't have any of the three RF I mentioned".  :confused:

Solution: Get one of each.   :shrug:

:eyebrownod: :wink:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

JohnP

Great solution to a tough decision.  Thanks.

vvarmitr

Quote from: JohnP on July 11, 2010, 12:48:28 PM
 I don't have any of the three CF I mentioned.  

Quote from: coyotehunter_1 on July 11, 2010, 01:12:35 PM
Problem: "I don't have any of the three RF I mentioned".  :confused:
Now just a doggone minute here! :huh:

coyotehunter_1

vvarmitr
RF ? CF ? ::::: Simple typo corrected by John: « Last Edit: Today at 02:30:53 PM by JohnP »  
:wink:

and then there is the 221FB & 222Rem & 223 & 243 & ......  :laf:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

HaMeR

You're Welcome John. Just trying to spend your money as wisely for you as possible from this far away!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Honestly tho the 223 has an advantage IMO. You can probably find ammo off the shelf that will shoot minute of coyote most anywhere you go in this great Country. Plus several different bullet selections & weights. HTH
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

pitw

John I know nothing of what you guys are talking about :doh2:.  From what I've read and heard through the mill, I'm thinking you should look for one in "slingshot" :biggrin:.  Give them coyotes at least one chance in [L]. :wink:
I say what I think not think what I say.