• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Inherited knives

Started by Frogman, March 03, 2012, 11:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

I recently inherited a couple of nice custom knives.

First is one made by R. W. Jeffries, a WV custom knive maker.

Next is a Ruana knife made in Bonner MT. 

I have an interesting story to go with the Ruana.  I inherited this knife from my step father.  I had it on my work desk in the basement to use as a letter opener.  It was really rough looking and had some light rust on the blade.  I had no idea what I had.  One day recently the President of our gun club was at the house to sign some insurance papers for the gun club.  He saw the knife on the desk and said,  "Oh my gosh, that looks like a Ruana!"  He then informed me that the Ruana knives are very collectable.  I googled "Ruana" and found several of these knives going on ebay for $300 and $400!  I finally found the Ruana web site.  There I learned that I could return the knife to them for refurbishing and to get a new sheath for the knife.  There was no sheath with it when I got it.  So I sent it to Ruana and you can see the results in the above photos.  Cost me $110.00.  They did a great job on the knife and it looks like new now.  They told my that this knife was made by Rudy Ruana probably in the early to mid 70s.  That is about the time my Mom and Stepdad did an extended Western sightseeing trip.  I assume my stepdad bought this knife when they were on this trip??  Pretty neat, huh!  If it wasn't for my friend recognizing the Ruana, it would still be a very valuable letter opener.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FinsnFur

Sweet
Those sheaths dont look like they've ever been worn.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Those are some very nice knives Frogman!! Glad you got them.  :biggrin:  Cool story too.  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Frogman

Jim,

The Ruana sheath is brand new.  I ordered it when I sent the knife in to be refurbished.  I have no idea how old the Jeffries knife is.  I'm pretty sure the knife was never used.

Jim

iahntr

Nice ! Do ya know what the scales are on the Ruana?
Scott

Frogman

scales??  I don't know what you are talking about??

Jim

slagmaker

The scales would be the handels. What are the handels made of.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Frogman

Thanks slagmaker!  Shows how much I know about knives??  Just learned something new!  Happens to me all the time!!  The "scales" are made of molded aluminum with elkhorn inserts.  Check out the web site here . . .

http://www.ruanaknives.com

They have lots of info about these knives!

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Jim

iahntr

Yeah, sorry. They look almost more like a bone,
or mammoth ivory. I like em.
Scott

Yotehntr

:yoyo:  Really cool knives Jim!  I have a custom coming from a fairly new maker... before he realizes how nice what he's making is!  :biggrin:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Hawks Feather

Those are nice looking knives and they even look nicer when you find out that a "letter opener" is a "collector".

Jerry

WldWldWest

Very Cool Knive's Jim! Great story as well!
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

nastygunz