• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Let's see those turkey guns!

Started by nastygunz, April 01, 2021, 06:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

Here is my three turkey hunting shotguns that I use, all in 12 Gauge:

Stoeger M2000 with factory turkey choke.

I am going to bet that most of you have never seen or heard of this gun. It is a Mossberg SSI-1 12 gauge,  it has the exact same barrel and choke as the Mossberg 835.  I either use the stock Mossberg turkey choke or a Primos jelly head maximum choke. Beautiful gun with parkerized metal and black walnut wood.

This ol warrior  is my main turkey hunting gun for about 25 years. Mossberg 835 with Knoxx Specops stock and Primos Jellyhead Maximum choke.  It shoots a wicked pattern with just about anything.  The last few years  I have been using Longbeard XR #6 in both 3 and 3/1/2 inch.

JohnP

I am not a turkey hunter but if'n I was I would surely be needing that Mossberg SSI-1 12 GA.  Did they chamber it in anything other than 12 gauge?
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Yotehntr

Your right, I've never seen that Mossberg SSI-1 That's a looker! :yoyo:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

nastygunz

I had never heard of one either and happened to run across it in the gun rack at a little old country gun shop one day got it for a song and went home and researched it and found out it is pretty rare and goes for a pretty good dollar nowadays if you can find one. I have never been successful at finding any other barrels for it For sale.

The Mossberg SSI-One Is A Single-Shot Firearm...

(SSI stands for “Single Shot Interchangeable”) with a novel concept.It is a gun that can have multiple barrels with only one receiver. Well, it is not actually a novel idea, as Thompson Center had already done this, and with a lot better success, than this Mossberg.

Some say this rifle was designed to compete with the Ruger #1. At first glance, this rifle does look a little like the Ruger, with its lever placed under the trigger guard. The lever operates the opening/breaking of the barrel.

Pull the lever down, and the barrel breaks open. The Mossberg SSI came about in the late 1990s and was probably designed to compete with the T/C line, but, for whatever reason, it never shared the success of the T/C line.

This rifle/shotgun series was offered in several rifle barrels and two shotgun barrels that were interchangeable by the user with no factory modifications or special fitting needed.

Each of the following barrels came with its own wooden forend: .223 sporting (tapered) or heavy barrel, .22-250 sporting (tapered) or heavy barrel, .243 sporting barrel only, .270 sporting barrel only, .308 sporting barrel only, .30-06 sporting barrel only.

And the shotgun barrels include: rifled barrel ported, 12-gauge, slug gun for deer hunters and a turkey-choked 12-gauge for those after “Mr. Tom.” Both 12-gauge offerings are chambered to take 2-3/4-, 3- and 3-1/2-inch shells. The turkey barrel has a 12-gauge chamber with a 10-gauge bore to allow the shot to expand in the bore, then get choked down to 12-gauge as it leaves the barrel. This is supposed to give you tighter patterns at long ranges.

The shotguns were offered with walnut or Mossy Oak camo-finished stocks and forends. The weaver-style scope bases on the shotguns were welded to the barrel. This was probably done to prevent the recoil from shaking the mounts loose.

HaMeR

I was torn between the Stoeger & the CZ712 I bought. I liked the wood on the CZ. Personally I feel camo on everything is a way to jump the price $100. The idea over time has been to shoot them before they see you & the Realtree camo inventor said camo works best when in the shade. So I set in the shade with my wood & blue shotguns. lol Nice collection of beard busters for sure!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

nastygunz

I honestly don't think It would make any difference between Blued  and Wood and camo and hunting most anything but it does not hurt.  My childhood best friend stan the mountain man has never owned a piece of camouflage clothing or a camouflage gun and he's been dropping turkeys ever since they first open the season in Vermont.  He even made a point one spring of wearing his blaze orange deer hunting vest and shooting a Tom ha ha.  The only thing I don't like about hunting with a wood and blued gun is if it's a really nice gun I hate to scratch and ding them up .

nastygunz

I have had years of good use out of that Stoeger and it gets shot a lot because it is my main crow hunting gun also.

HaMeR

Randy Anderson made a video calling coyotes with a full Santa suit on. White beard and all & the coyotes came right in. lol I wear camo but I don't depend on camo.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

nastygunz

I like to paint my face in camo just because it freaks out the people in the store when you stopping to get coffee and donuts. That paints a real bitch to get off your tongue though  :innocentwhistle:

coyote101

Here they are:

Mossberg 835 12 gauge with Trijicon Reflex sight and Carlson's Dead Coyote choke. I took my first turkey with this beast, and have taken a bunch since then:

T/C Encore 12 gauge with Eotech 552 and factory turkey choke. A light weight single shot that kicks like a mule:

Winchester 370 20 gauge with full choke barrel. This was my first shotgun, I've had it for about fifty years:

T/C Encore .45/.410 with Hiviz sights and custom full choke. Some custom barrel work and TSS makes this a pretty efficient turkey killer:

Ten Point Titan HLX crossbow. I've taken thirteen turkeys with this, but never a spring gobbler. That's my goal for this year's second bird:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

nastygunz

That pistol❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on April 23, 2021, 11:47:26 PM
That pistol❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Have you sent your Contender to J.R. Shultz yet?

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

nastygunz

Couldn't get it done in time for turkey season so I am in no hurry.  I'll swap you that Mossberg SSI for your encore  :eyebrow:

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on April 24, 2021, 07:15:41 PM
  I'll swap you that Mossberg SSI for your encore  :eyebrow:

That's pretty tempting........but I'll have to pass.

Pat
NRA Life Member

nastygunz

Hopefully I'll have mine geared up for next turkey season in the fall :yoyo:🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃

Coyotes-R-Us

My 870 was the go-to on the gun safe but now...

old is the new young