• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

July 4th camping & coyotes

Started by Rprince, July 07, 2008, 11:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rprince

We made our annual trip to a farm that is owned by my wifes aunt. It's a real nice place, about 650 acres of pasture & hardwoods.
My wifes uncle ran a dozer for a living & in his spare time he built several small ponds & one large pond. The kids have both moved off & after he passed away they decided they wanted a place where they could camp when they came home. They cleaned off a spot next to the big pond, drilled a well & ran electricity. They bought a big travel trailer & tied it down right on the pond bank. We go up there a couple times a year & relax. It's a good spot to shoot skeet, ride 4 wheelers & horses, drink a cool beverage, catch a few fish & of course I always coyote hunt while I'm there.

We pulled in Friday morning, after unloading & hooking up the camper I decided I'd try to call a dog before everybody started riding 4-wheelers everywhere. It was 12:00 & it was HOT, I threw on a camo t-shirt & walked about 200 yards behind the camper. I sat in a little grove of trees & put the call out in the pasture. No more than 3 minutes has passed when a coyote came out of the woods about 15 yards in front of me. He was headed hard for the jack rabbit & I shot him before he got there. The whole time I was calling I could hear everybody talking back at the camper, this dog didn't seem to mind.

It was hot & I didn't call anymore on Friday.

I got up Saturday morning & made a few stands, the only thing I called up was a bunch of does that thought they were loosing a fawn. Of the 3 stands that I made I called up a deer every time.
It was too hot to do any calling so I went back to the camper & sat around for the rest of the day.

Here's a few random pics.
It gets serious when the ROOK cards come out!

My little girl had went for a ride on the 4 wheeler & I held her pole. I hooked this fish while she was gone. I'm sure I looked cute trying to reel in this sucker on a Cinderella fishing pole!

Ali had enough for one day.

Sunday rolled around & it was time to head home. We had packed up & were pretty much ready to go when my wife rode up on the 4 wheeler & said that she had just seen a coyote at the back of the farm. Everybody looked at me & I knew I had to try & call him up. My wifes little brother had a friend that had came along & he wanted to go with me, I threw him a shirt & we made a quick run to where I thought the dog might be. Nick had never been coyote hunting & didn't know what to expect, I gave him my rifle & was going to let him shoot if the dog did show up. I must admit, he's pretty tough to hunt coyotes in shorts & sandals!
We set up on the edge of a pond where there were several washes. We could see for 500 to 600 yards.
While I was setting up the call I noticed a lot of coyote scat & tracks in the sand. I saw a piece of scat that looked interesting & I dug this out with a stick. It's a piece of hoof from a fawn, it was tiny & obviously he caught this one shortly after it was born.

I turned on a fawn in distress on the foxpro & immediately 2 does came running around the pond. They hung around the call for a while & they were pissed. They finally left & I turned on lightning jack, I cranked up the volume & the coyote came running over the hill straight for the call. Nick hadn't seen the coyote & I told him to get ready. The coyote disappeared & I thought he was gone, I looked to the left & he was standing not 10 yards from the call looking straight at us. He had went in one of the washes & snuck right in on us! Nick tried to get the gun on him but he got out of there before he could fire a shot, I knew the dog would pop out of the wash & I asked Nick if he could hit him & he said he didn't think he could. He handed me the rifle & I shot him when he popped out the other side. He was about 250 yards, so far this is my longest shot with my new AR.
Needless to say, I think Nick is hooked, I'll let him tote the shotgun the next time he goes calling with me.

Here's a view of where the coyote was when I shot him. We were sitting in the 2 trees in the middle of the picture.

Thanks for reading, hope everyone else had a great 4th!

Bopeye

Great pics, great story.......what a weekend. Outstanding!!!  :yoyo: :highclap: :congrats:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

KySongDog

That's a great story and the pics make it even better.   :yoyo:

Thanks for posting it!   :congrats:

Semp

vvarmitr

Now that is cool!  :thumb2:  Thanks so much for sharing.  :biggrin:
The little girl looks a little dismayed that Daddy caught her fish.   :laf:   The Cinderella Pole is hers & you have the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle one.   :laf:

DirtyDog

Good deal Randy......a weekend with the family, and you got to go hunting. My wife told me that if I even thought about anything other than the family this weekend that there would be extreme consiquences.  :holdon: Needless to say, I didn't do any hunting.  :madd:

Let me know if this weekend is still good.......

Rprince

Quote from: vvarmitr on July 07, 2008, 12:44:51 PM

The little girl looks a little dismayed that Daddy caught her fish.   :laf:      :laf:

To tell the truth, she was happy, she always tells me "daddy you can catch the big ones, I want the small ones"  :biggrin:
That Cinderella pole did the job, I thought the reel was going to burn up but I finally got her in!  :yoyo:

Rprince

DD,
As far as I know we're still on for this weekend. My work schedule gets kinda stupid sometimes but I think we'll be able to get after em.

Bills Custom Calls

Looks and sound as though you had a great weekend !!

Thanks for the story and pics
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

CCP

QuoteLooks and sound as though you had a great weekend !!

+1

Dont let DirtyDog get the Cinderella Pole from your daughter. :biggrin:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

FinsnFur

Wow...nice lil write up. :wink:
I'm not so sure it's leagel to have that much fun in one weekend. I thought the law required that ya spread it out. :laf:

Thanks for bringing it in.

That cat will make some good chewin, but I'm with CCP...watch DD around that Cinderella pole. :innocentwhistle:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

:yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:Awsome.......thanks for sharing.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

DirtyDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on July 07, 2008, 05:19:55 PM
That cat will make some good chewin, but I'm with CCP...watch DD around that Cinderella pole. :innocentwhistle:

I am lookin for the Barbie fishing pole.  :eyebrow:

Rprince

Ok, I didn't want to do it but here it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't laugh too hard! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

FinsnFur

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: I cant believe someone was quick enough to snap that  :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Rprince

Quote from: FinsnFur on July 07, 2008, 10:09:17 PM
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: I cant believe someone was quick enough to snap that  :yoyo:

That'd be my lovely wife!  :biggrin:

Frogman

Nice write up and photos, Rprince.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

coyote101

Thanks for the great story and pics. Looks like you had a great time.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing