• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Recent posts

Non Hunting/Fishing Photos / Re: BUSTEDDDDDDD!
Last post by FinsnFur - Today at 05:30:08 AM
He said, "mumg busft a golmcap zimmperhuk
The Tailgate / Re: S'posed to get my biggest ...
Last post by HuntnCarve - Today at 02:00:23 AM
That's great news Clyde!  Won't be long before you'll be able to handle some outdoor adventures (at your own pace).  Heal up, and listen to the doctors.  We'll keep you in our prayers.
Last post by Hawks Feather - Yesterday at 03:30:22 PM
Great news that you got out a day early and I am sure that it was because of the progress you made. Thanks for the tip on the chair. I don't need it yet, but probably will in time. I also like the shirt idea.
Non Hunting/Fishing Photos / Re: BUSTEDDDDDDD!
Last post by Hawks Feather - Yesterday at 03:20:35 PM
Pretty true. His lights have gone out several times.
Non Hunting/Fishing Photos / BUSTEDDDDDDD!
Last post by nastygunz - Yesterday at 01:30:28 PM
Last post by nastygunz - Yesterday at 01:29:56 PM
Survive adapt overcome! It seems like you have things under control sir!
Last post by Okanagan - Yesterday at 10:41:53 AM
Am awake and trying out my computer for about the first time, so will update this saga for those who have prayed for me and cared enough to follow. 

They let me out of the hospital one day early, either healing well or tired of putting up with me. They have a good team of confident, competent people in the cardiac surgery, with good morale and it always shows.  I go back for my first follow-up exam tomorrow.  Have been looking forward to hitting a good BBQ joint near the hospital, but am just not up to it yet.

LOTS of procedures and protocols, four walks per day, myriad home tests of blood pressure, glucose, etc. to measure and write into a log, etc. etc. Full time tiring job to get it all done.

For anyone considering similar, herewith a few changes I have made to their after-surgery instructions, which I consider improvements.  First, my power lift/recliner chair eliminates the most painful, incision stressing  problem, which is getting into and out of bed. I painlessly get up and lie down. I sleep in it, with no twisting nor turning, rolling,

Second, putting on clothes.  This young physical therapy fellow spent a lot of time showing me how to put on a T-shirt etc.without damaging the wound. I looked at him without a word and did the excecise, but I thought "If I have to spend 5 minutes of painful conortions doing a Klingon Tea Ceremony to put on a T-shirt, I just won't wear a T-shirt."  I don't.  I have to put on a freshly washed shirt after each daily special shower.  I bought a half dozen men's short sleeved shirts from Goodwill in size 3x or larger, powered laundered them and put them on backward, with buttons down the back.  That puts a fresh clean shirt covering the wound.  It's an easy and painless way to acheive the same goal. I usually don't button or will have my wife button one on the back.  I'm home in my house and have asked for no visitors for awhile.  Who cares what I look like? :biggrin:

We dredged up a stadium blanket, simply arm sleeves in a big flat fleece blanket, and I flop that over me for warmth and stylish modesty when sitting or reclining in my power chair.

Y'all come visit and bring some whitetail tenderloin... but not for awhile yet :laf:
The Tailgate / Today in history 3-27
Last post by remrogers - Yesterday at 09:34:46 AM
March 27
Strongest earthquake in U.S. history rocks Alaska

The strongest earthquake in American history, measuring 9.2 on the Richter scale, slams southern Alaska, creating a deadly tsunami. Some 131 people were killed and thousands injured.

The massive earthquake had its epicenter about 12 miles north of Prince William Sound. Approximately 300,000 square miles of U.S., Canadian, and international territory were affected. Anchorage, Alaska's largest city, sustained the most property damage, with about 30 blocks of dwellings and commercial buildings damaged or destroyed in the downtown area. Fifteen people were killed or fatally injured as a direct result of the three-minute quake, and then the ensuing tsunami killed another 110 people.

The tidal wave, which measured over 100 feet at points, devastated towns along the Gulf of Alaska and caused carnage in British Columbia, Canada; Hawaii; and the West Coast of the United States, where 15 people died. Total property damage was estimated in excess of $400 million. The day after the quake, President Lyndon B. Johnson declared Alaska an official disaster area.

The Tailgate / Today in history 3-26
Last post by remrogers - March 26, 2024, 09:37:33 AM
March 26
Dr. Jonas Salk announces polio vaccine

On March 26, 1953, American medical researcher Dr. Jonas Salk announces on a national radio show that he has successfully tested a vaccine against poliomyelitis, the virus that causes the crippling disease of polio.

In 1952—an epidemic year for polio—there were 58,000 new cases reported in the United States, and more than 3,000 died from the disease. For his work in helping to eradicate the disease, which is known as "infant paralysis" because it mainly affects children, Dr. Salk was celebrated as the great doctor-benefactor of his time.

Polio, a disease that affected humanity many times throughout recorded history, attacks the nervous system and can cause varying degrees of paralysis. Since the virus is easily transmitted, epidemics were commonplace in the first decades of the 20th century. The first major polio epidemic in the United States occurred in Vermont in the summer of 1894, and by the 20th century thousands were affected every year. In the first decades of the 20th century, treatments were limited to quarantines and the infamous "iron lung," a metal coffin-like contraption that aided respiration. Although children, and especially infants, were among the worst affected, adults were also often afflicted, including future president Franklin D. Roosevelt, who in 1921 was stricken with polio at the age of 39 and was left partially paralyzed. Roosevelt later transformed his estate in Warm Springs, Georgia, into a recovery retreat for polio victims and was instrumental in raising funds for polio-related research and the treatment of polio patients.

Salk, born in New York City in 1914, first conducted research on viruses in the 1930s when he was a medical student at New York University, and during World War II helped develop flu vaccines. In 1947, he became head of a research laboratory at the University of Pittsburgh and in 1948 was awarded a grant to study the polio virus and develop a possible vaccine. By 1950, he had an early version of his polio vaccine.

Salk's procedure, first attempted unsuccessfully by American Maurice Brodie in the 1930s, was to kill several strains of the virus and then inject the benign viruses into a healthy person's bloodstream. The person's immune system would then create antibodies designed to resist future exposure to poliomyelitis. Salk conducted the first human trials on former polio patients and on himself and his family, and by 1953 was ready to announce his findings. This occurred on the CBS national radio network on the evening of March 26 and two days later in an article published in the Journal of the American Medical Association. Dr. Salk became an immediate celebrity.

In 1954, clinical trials using the Salk vaccine and a placebo began on 1.3 million American schoolchildren. In April 1955, it was announced that the vaccine was effective and safe, and a nationwide inoculation campaign began. Shortly thereafter, tragedy struck in the Western and mid-Western United States, when more than 200,000 people were injected with a defective vaccine manufactured at Cutter Laboratories of Berkeley, California. Thousands of polio cases were reported, 200 children were left paralyzed and 10 died.

The incident delayed production of the vaccine, but new polio cases dropped to under 6,000 in 1957, the first year after the vaccine was widely available. In 1962, an oral vaccine developed by Polish-American researcher Albert Sabin became available, greatly facilitating the distribution of the polio vaccine. Today, there is no year-round transmission of poliovirus in the United States. Among other honors, Jonas Salk was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1977. He died in La Jolla, California, in 1995.
Last post by KySongDog - March 25, 2024, 03:19:26 PM
Great news and prayers sent for a speedy recovery.  :congrats: